Canyon Spectral ON, can't wait!

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, my name is Nick and although I have owned a Cube Elite Hybrid e-bike previously, I am about to take delivery of a brand new Canyon Spectral ON 8.0. Is anybody else getting one, or seen them? :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Mine was placed 11th Feb. (showing as in stock)
I had confirmation 2 hours ago that it is actually finished production but needs to await secondary production for a brake switch to UK spec. "Further to the completion of this additional production the bike is due to leave the factory later this week, at the very latest the early part of next week"

I'm actually in the process of cancelling mine. a 6.0. I didn't think the 8.0 was particularly good value even though it's clearly a higher spec. I see no value in the 8 speed EX1 groupset at all, wouldn't want codes and prefer RS to Fox though.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Apart from the EX1 not being a good value I think the big jumps between the gears don’t suit the characteristics of the E8000. When I ordered my bike I wanted the EX1 but I couldn’t justify the 500€ difference and luckily I went with 11 speed. My wife has a Yamaha and EX1 would be perfect for that because it has huge torque on low RPM but the Shimano is different you need to spin it.
The rest of the specs on are personal preference I would choose the 7.0 with the 11speed and Zee brakes. The Lyrik and the Fox36 are pretty much on the same level but Fox made more effort to make their forks emtb specific not just updated the air pressure chart like RS did.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fox made more effort to make their forks emtb specific not just updated the air pressure chart like RS did.
In what way did Fox make their forks Emtb specific?

Oh. and BTW. I have nothing against fox. (I run Fox coil shocks on my DH bikes) but I have 3 RS rear shocks and 9 RS forks already so sticking with rockshox makes more sense for servicing and ease of set-up between various bikes.

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
Mine was placed 11th Feb. (showing as in stock)
I had confirmation 2 hours ago that it is actually finished production but needs to await secondary production for a brake switch to UK spec. "Further to the completion of this additional production the bike is due to leave the factory later this week, at the very latest the early part of next week"

I'm actually in the process of cancelling mine. a 6.0. I didn't think the 8.0 was particularly good value even though it's clearly a higher spec. I see no value in the 8 speed EX1 groupset at all, wouldn't want codes and prefer RS to Fox though.

So essentially then, the total time from you placing your order to getting it will be approx eight weeks? That is a pretty long time, but then good things come to those who wait I guess! My payment status was upgraded to 'reserved' on Monday, but still shows a dispatch date range of 30 April to 5 May. Do you think this will be accurate?

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
@Spectral ON Nick
Hi, I'm also waiting for mine, same model 8.0.
When did you place your order?

I placed my order on 20 March. The initial e-mail stated that it would be dispatched between 5 May to 12 May, but about a week ago, I got another update saying it will now be 30 April to 5 May. (great news) They also authorised the payment on Monday too, this is now showing as a green status. When did you place your order and what is your ETA??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks.
So they've basically used a cheaper solid crown and thicker stanchion walls to create a slightly stiffer chassis. Fair enough.
Owning and riding many dual crown DH forks over the years and also a 170mm 2017 lyrik this comment this made me laugh:
"There is no noticeable flexing anywhere – we had to check repeatedly if we weren’t inadvertently riding a double crown Fox 40."

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My payment status was upgraded to 'reserved' on Monday, but still shows a dispatch date range of 30 April to 5 May. Do you think this will be accurate?
Honestly?
No.
But...

cb0cc710.jpg

YMMV

niccolo

Apr 10, 2018
Italy
I placed my order on 20 March. The initial e-mail stated that it would be dispatched between 5 May to 12 May, but about a week ago, I got another update saying it will now be 30 April to 5 May. (great news) They also authorised the payment on Monday too, this is now showing as a green status. When did you place your order and what is your ETA??

Order Placed on 9 March. At that time the ETA was 23/27 of April, anticipated to 16/20 of April after the bank transfer had been aknowledged.
I have the same green status in the payment section. The order has been confirmed but not switched to "Preparation" yet.

CAN'T WAIT!!! :)

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I went to the MBR demo event last weekend and the Canyon guys didn't even have one available or on show. If they are making people wait to get things right that has to be for the best.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was just kidding man.
I actually feel sorry for the Canyon UK staff.
I spoke to them again on Friday and they were still feeding me lies and misinformation AFTER I'd cancelled mine.
It's not really all their fault. Canyon are leaving them in a pretty awkward position.
I'm just glad i'm no longer having to deal with them at all.
The bike should still be worth the wait.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I was just kidding man.
I actually feel sorry for the Canyon UK staff.
I spoke to them again on Friday and they were still feeding me lies and misinformation AFTER I'd cancelled mine.
It's not really all their fault. Canyon are leaving them in a pretty awkward position.
I'm just glad i'm no longer having to deal with them at all.
The bike should still be worth the wait.
I spoke to Canyon Australia about the Spectral ON last month . . . I was interested in the bike, on paper it looked pretty sweet. They won't be bringing it into Australia until early/mid 2019. Scratch that one off the list . . .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles