Two minds - Canyon Spectral:ON

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
?. I am bit slow. Haven’t got 2 whole days on it. Fair list to do mind. Tubeless and torque caps for the wheels. Routing brake cable through the frame and full bleed shouldn’t be too bad. Got some 3M tape to put on. Used an invisiframe kit for last bike but not made for this frame yet. New dropper lever and Shimano switch. But yeah should easily get it done in an afternoon.

can’t you use existing brake cables ? zee to saint? and just give them a quick bleed after swap over ?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
can’t you use existing brake cables ? zee to saint? and just give them a quick bleed after swap over ?

Did think of that but it's not a nut and olive at the caliper end. Its crimped on so if I don't change the hose they'll have brass coloured fittings when I sell the Zees. More hassle changing them than it's worth really. Doubt I'll notice any difference with Saints anyway but as I've got them here I may as well. Match the saint pedals as well.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
F3516AD9-DB7E-4771-BBC1-03A35C782E1B.jpeg

A day early.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
No photos yet but got it out the box, stem, bars and front wheel on. Can't fault the delivery process for mine. Left the factory last Friday and arrived today. Email updates all the way through. Packaging is fantastic. Really well protected. Lump of a box to keep somewhere. Don't think the bike is that heavy for an ebike but it certianly doesn't look light weight. Looks really solid. Finish on the bike is really good and details like the motor shield seem impressive at first glance. Really really happy with it so far but obviously not ridden it yet. £3899 is still a lot of money but I think it's great value compared to other recently released bikes. I've always repaired all my own bikes and my mate services forks and shocks and builds wheel sets etc so I don't think I'll need the local service option some seem to rely on. If it's a motor then yeah different story and I'll have to send the motor to Madison but I'll take that chance and save a few thousand.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Rob, any chance of moving this thread to other manufacturers or general to discuss the bike and it’s merits/deficiencies? so we don’t have to scroll through hello and welcome threads? (not having a go, the more the merrier) ?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Rob, any chance of moving this thread to other manufacturers or general to discuss the bike and it’s merits/deficiencies? so we don’t have to scroll through hello and welcome threads? (not having a go, the more the merrier) ?
Agreed, and maybe tweak the OP's original title too - the "Two minds" piece is a bit misleading now given lots of people are getting them.

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello Forum

I ordered an Spectral:ON on 13.9., changed the color because availability change two days after my purchase, without any problems, but with about 28min waiting time at the hotline which is a little bit to long, but no catastrophy.
The logistic partner than tried to reach me for some days, because they only have my home number even I thought, I gave them (Canyon) my mobile number. Anyway, after aligning on the 25.9., the bike was here on 26.9. within one day.
Packaging is perfect. Even the DHL Freight guy said, he never saw such a good packaging for a bike.
The build quality is also very good. Grease were it is needed, all screws perfectly tight, setup of shifting system perfect. No complaints.
But there are also some flaws:
- The clamping of the seatpost is sensitive. To hard and the dropper is coming out a little bit slower, to soft and the seatpost turns if you look at it. So it is a small windows.
- The front wheel has no torque caps. So the assembly of the front wheel is a little bit annoying.
- They could also add two tubeless valves to their product
Overall I'm positively surprised by build quality and setup.

This evening will be the first tour. Looking forward to it.

Bye

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello

Ride report:
My non-Ebike is a 160mm Liteville 301 MK14 to which I would compare the Spectral:ON.
My wife uses a Ghost Hybride Kato which I drove from time to time, which is Size S clearly to small for me, but just for comparision.
- 29er frontwheel is noticably smoother over roots. Together with the low center of gravity and the additional weight you carry much more momentum through these root sections.
- The 27,5 Plus 2.8 tire at the front of my wifes Kato is much more indifferent in steering. I think a smaller tire in the front does makes sense, even so I think maybe 2.6 would be the best compromise. @MAXXIS: We need 29er 2,6 DHR2, thanks.
- The Lyrik is very stiff, but I think my MST Tuning damping in my Liteville's Pike is much more vivid and more responsive.
- Because Canyon's lacking a proposal for the setup of their saddle (Angle), I set it up, like I'm comfortable with it ;-). In this case the rear rail clamping screw is to short and it got loose and I lost it. I found it and used Loctite for assembly. But it should be longer.
- The rear suspension is much better than at the 301, but this is known. Its sensitive, plush and playful.
- The bike is unbelievable agile despite its weight. You can jump around with each root and its fun to ride.
- The dropper is crap......compares to my Eightpins at the 301, clear. Its not stiff, the lever is hard to use, its slow, you cannot grap your bike on the saddle.....Sorry, but Eightpins is definitely benchmark.

Overall its are great bike and I think I will ride it much more than my 301 in the future. Down the hill its more capable and on the way to the top it is twice as fast.

Thanks

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
@rmh1009 have you been out on it yet?

I had a small crash on mine yesterday. I lost the front end in a high speed compression ? on some wet leaves. Back out tomorrow at delamere forest. Trying to make the most of the weather before it turns

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
@rmh1009 have you been out on it yet?

I had a small crash on mine yesterday. I lost the front end in a high speed compression ? on some wet leaves. Back out tomorrow at delamere forest. Trying to make the most of the weather before it turns

Not yet mate. Hopefully get the brakes and stuff on tonight. Made a start last night. Got the wheels tubeless and put the torque caps on. Heading to Brechfa Sunday to test it out.

No damage to yours? Hope your dropper is sorted. Running a new cable doesn't look easy.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Not yet mate. Hopefully get the brakes and stuff on tonight. Made a start last night. Got the wheels tubeless and put the torque caps on. Heading to Brechfa Sunday to test it out.

No damage to yours? Hope your dropper is sorted. Running a new cable doesn't look easy.
Haven't had chance to check the bike over properly but it seemed okay I done 1 more run after the crash.

I haven't sent the dropper off yet because I'm going out on it this weekend. I will send it after that and keep this thread updated as to how long it takes to be resolved

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
DF4BA4AF-E591-4D83-9C60-9E6D8A1F0844.jpeg
A9E25BE0-36A1-4E34-8980-08164FE27760.jpeg
4D11706D-7F3D-4917-844A-6FA74761D122.jpeg

I know it’ll be over stealthed for most but my bikes always end up looking like this. It is what I like.

Brakes are on, wolf tooth dropper lever, E6000 switch and torque caps. Not easy running the brake hose over the motor from the left hand of the frame to the right where the cables are all routed. Routed worse but a few times wished I’d stuck with the Zees. Had the Saints here brand new and boxed ready to sell though so went for the bling but probably marginal if any improvement. Match the pedals though. ? Torque caps unnecessary but look nicer and do make lining the front wheel axle up.

Only rolled it around the decking but loving it so far. Looks great to me.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
View attachment 5676 View attachment 5677 View attachment 5678

I know it’ll be over stealthed for most but my bikes always end up looking like this. It is what I like.

Brakes are on, wolf tooth dropper lever, E6000 switch and torque caps. Not easy running the brake hose over the motor from the left hand of the frame to the right where the cables are all routed. Routed worse but a few times wished I’d stuck with the Zees. Had the Saints here brand new and boxed ready to sell though so went for the bling but probably marginal if any improvement. Match the pedals though. ? Torque caps unnecessary but look nicer and do make lining the front wheel axle up.

Super nice ?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina

Nice job. :) How did you route the brake hose? I have a threaded hose connector that once came with the Reverb and using that everything is a two minutes job... OK, maybe three as the Zee/Saint etc hoses are coming out/going in one way only so you have an extra step... :)
Screenshot 2018-09-28 20.33.48.jpg

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Nice job. :) How did you route the brake hose? I have a threaded hose connector that once came with the Reverb and using that everything is a two minutes job... OK, maybe three as the Zee/Saint etc hoses are coming out/going in one way only so you have an extra step... :)
View attachment 5684

I've used those before and made the job much easier. This time the old fashioned way with insulation tape and spare hose. Made it harder for myself really.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK

can’t believe you haven’t had it at least round the block yet, what you playing at ? ?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
can’t believe you haven’t had it at least round the block yet, what you playing at ? ?

I should've before I started swapping parts in case it had to go back but thankfully just literally flew up and down a few hills to bed the brakes in. And keep @dwr budr happy. ?. All worked perfectly. Flew down a few lengths of steps and the suspension felt really plush. Few hill starts and the motor pick up felt great. Can't fault it so far. ?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
@dwr budr @Clansey You both left the settings as standard in the app? I know it's a basic app but updating software yourself is big advantage I think.
I haven't connected the app. Im on Android P and lots of people left bad reviews saying it dropped connection during the firmware update which auto runs as soon as the app connects. Figured I'd leave it for a little bit.

Have you connected to yours?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I haven't connected the app. Im on Android P and lots of people left bad reviews saying it dropped connection during the firmware update which auto runs as soon as the app connects. Figured I'd leave it for a little bit.

Have you connected to yours?

Yeah connected it with the iPhone. Only took a few minutes to update. Didn’t try it before the update so not sure if it made any difference.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles