Two minds - Canyon Spectral:ON

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
According the live chat person this morning it should be shipped within 24-48 hours. Still not showing as "preparing" online though and no card payment taken yet.

sounds like they’ve given you the standard reply, you can ask them to look at german schedule and see if has been built yet

Brainless

Sep 14, 2018
Bradford
Greetings from sunny Worthing!
:unsure: Just wondering whether to take the plunge or not, if I do, I have my eyes on a Canyon Spectral On. Anyone got one of those?

Loving the forum and the vids btw (y)
Greetings from sunny Worthing!
:unsure: Just wondering whether to take the plunge or not, if I do, I have my eyes on a Canyon Spectral On. Anyone got one of those?

Loving the forum and the vids btw (y)
Great bike as you’d expect from canyon, demo’d it at mtb dalby only downside was pedal strikes almost every corner and root, but for me it came second to Rocky Mountain on day

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
View attachment 5054
I had a little play with it yesterday when I cleaned my bike just to make sure it wasn't something silly like the cable stretching or low pressure in the air chamber couldn't get it to work properly so I will be speaking to Canyon when I get a chance.

I will put a video on here of what it's doing. Maybe someone can help me instead of having to deal with Canyon / sending it off
Just spotted your yt vids....well at least I think it was your vid...up at llandegla looks like your enjoying the bike

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Despite all the issues over delivery and customer service aired here it is pretty difficult to look past direct sale bikes like the Spectral when you see the prices Specialized are now asking for a basic Levo. For £3899 you can get a Spectral:On 7.0 with a Lyrik, XT drivetrain, Zee brakes and a DT Swiss wheelset. The £4k Levo only has a Sektor fork, Sram NX with Level T brakes and a basic Spec wheelset.

I know the spec sheet doesn’t always tell the story, and common sense says as a rider of only moderate skill I would probably be better on a Specialized that can be bought and supported by my LBS. As a family man with two young kids though I would feel guilty and ripped off buying a Levo with the spec I wanted knowing so much better value is available elsewhere. Even adding £1000 to the Canyon’s price for problems that can’t be sorted easily under warranty still leaves it sitting pretty when the Levo Expert is an eye watering £7250. At least that isn’t beige like one of the the base models... ;)

Both alloy bikes do seem to be having a closely fought ugliest weld competition though, picking a winner on that basis is tough... :D

Last edited:

Osprey

Aug 11, 2018
South Wales
Despite all the issues over delivery and customer service aired here it is pretty difficult to look past direct sale bikes like the Spectral when you see the prices Specialized are now asking for a basic Levo. For £3899 you can get a Spectral:On 7.0 with a Lyrik, XT drivetrain, Zee brakes and a DT Swiss wheelset. The £4k Levo only has a Sektor fork, Sram NX with Level T brakes and a basic Spec wheelset.

I know the spec sheet doesn’t always tell the story, and common sense says as a rider of only moderate skill I would probably be better on a Specialized that can be bought and supported by my LBS. As a family man with two young kids though I would feel guilty and ripped off buying a Levo with the spec I wanted knowing so much better value is available elsewhere. Even adding £1000 to the Canyon’s price for problems that can’t be sorted easily under warranty still leaves it sitting pretty when the Levo Expert is an eye watering £7250. At least that isn’t beige like one of the the base models... ;)

Both alloy bikes do seem to be having a closely fought ugliest weld competition though, picking a winner on that basis is tough... :D

This is exactly the dilemma I have ... really want a solid spec but can’t justify replacing family holidays for a bike ... probably go with a 2018 Model but still not sure ... paranoid about buyers remorse!

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK

mate my other bikes an orange so i’m used to the welds !!
Don’t you realise this is a spesh forum? you can’t come on here with those views , rob will be along in a minute to sort you out as he’s on commission?

soz rob !!

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
This is exactly the dilemma I have ... really want a solid spec but can’t justify replacing family holidays for a bike ... probably go with a 2018 Model but still not sure ... paranoid about buyers remorse!

my mate is in the same boat, keeps saying i might wait till next year when such and such is out or whatever tech matures more.
Whenever you decide to jump in your choice will probably be outdated the year after, id day just go for it you’ll always get buyers remorse as we always covet the newer shinier stuff but the fun you are missing out on in the meantime weighing up pros and cons this frames lighter that motor is better what if battery tech improves. Just get a bike dude i can’t imagine there are much between any of them
And the worse thing is i only see prices increasing or specs getting worse for same money.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Despite my well publicised issues with the Canyon I definitely don't have buyers remorse. I think it depends on the rider and what type of riding you do.

For me that specialized doesn't even compare in spec to the Canyon's sure the range is nice. Can't say I've ever thought I wish this has more power and the spec on my bike is better than the expert Levo.

My bike is just for shuttling me to the top of the hills so I can go and ride the downhills. On the downhill the spec comes into its own along with geometry and the Spectral 8.0s geometry and spec is perfect for me.

It would take specialized to make the same improvements from 2018 to 2019 two or 3 years in a row for me to even consider looking at them.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

Dealing with “Oliver” at Canyon on the live chat is really testing my patience and make me look at the Levo again. Spec is awful though. The £5000 model needs another £1000 spent to get decent wheels and fork etc. Frame and motor might be great but cover it in crap components and it won’t ride well at all. Sektor fork is a joke. You get that on sub £1000 hardtails.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Dealing with “Oliver” at Canyon on the live chat is really testing my patience and make me look at the Levo again. Spec is awful though. The £5000 model needs another £1000 spent to get decent wheels and fork etc. Frame and motor might be great but cover it in crap components and it won’t ride well at all. Sektor fork is a joke. You get that on sub £1000 hardtails.
I feel your pain ...
Maybe time to seriously look about have you considered the merida

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK

what’s up mate? problems?

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
I'm still consi
Not really. Just getting impatient. Due for dispatch this week so they've still got 2-1/2 days really. No payment taken and it's not showing as "preparing" yet online. All good with yours? Still happy with your choice?
This does put me off ☹️.... I've looked at the 2019 Bulls but there not here till mid March.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I'm still consi

This does put me off ☹️.... I've looked at the 2019 Bulls but there not here till mid March.

To be fair it seems that when you actually get your hands on the bike you'll be really happy. For the spec for the price is so good. To get similar spec Levo costs loads more. If the £5000 Levo had a Pike or Lyrik and decent wheels then maybe...

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
To be fair it seems that when you actually get your hands on the bike you'll be really happy. For the spec for the price is so good. To get similar spec Levo costs loads more. If the £5000 Levo had a Pike or Lyrik and decent wheels then maybe...
Was yours from stock?

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Not really. Just getting impatient. Due for dispatch this week so they've still got 2-1/2 days really. No payment taken and it's not showing as "preparing" yet online. All good with yours? Still happy with your choice?

loving it mate, bundles of fun although i’m in dubai for a couple of weeks so you should have yours before i get chance to get out on mine again.

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
No it was delivery wc 24.09.18 and then they emailed to say it would be a week early so can't complain at all really. Just desperate to get it now.
Im after an XL if I choose the canyon and there from stock on the website. Going to speak to them next Friday at the bike show.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
No it was delivery wc 24.09.18 and then they emailed to say it would be a week early so can't complain at all really. Just desperate to get it now.
If I remember right both mine and @dwr budr got shipped out on the Friday of the provisional week. Got my fingers crossed that your delivery goes smoothly

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
loving it mate, bundles of fun although i’m in dubai for a couple of weeks so you should have yours before i get chance to get out on mine again.

Brilliant. Bit of positivity from yourself and @Clansey helps. I'm sure I've made the right decision. It's a huge chunk of money for a family man to spend on a bike as it is. Levo money for a good spec is shocking.

Thanks @Clansey . I bet it will be Friday. Outside chance of delivery next week then. Any news on the dropper?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Brilliant. Bit of positivity from yourself and @Clansey helps. I'm sure I've made the right decision. It's a huge chunk of money for a family man to spend on a bike as it is. Levo money for a good spec is shocking.

Thanks @Clansey . I bet it will be Friday. Outside chance of delivery next week then. Any news on the dropper?
I went on live chat and they said I would have to email about it. Still no reply to my email but they normally have a turn around of 48hrs on emails

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
99674DE7-1E12-4974-9918-0CB01E14D4F9.png

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
It would take specialized to make the same improvements from 2018 to 2019 two or 3 years in a row for me to even consider looking at them.
Imagine what the asking price would be like if they actually did that! £20k here we come... ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles