Canyon Neuron:On / E8000 problem

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
Hi guys, took delivery of two eBikes last month, a Grand Canyon for my partner and a Neuron for me.

I'm loving the bikes but have a minor problem with my Neuron, the odometer counts exactly double the distance of the Grand Canyon e.g a 10 mile ride records as 20 miles on the Neuron.

However, both eBikes show exactly the same speed.

I've checked all the connections, speed sensor, wheel settings and updated the E8000 firmware to 4.8. No luck, the odometer still records exactly double the distance for any given ride.

I've emailed Canyon, but they're a little slow to respond, if anyone here can shed some light on what might be causing this, I'd be over the moon. Thanks...J

Alan969

Aug 15, 2020
Belgium
I have the same problem with the same bike. Canyon ans Shimano should be ashamed to sell such system with problems. Why is the problem only on the Neuron??? Very strange!

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
I've compared the Neuron and Grand Canyon wiring/connectors/sensors and they are pretty much identical.....This has to be a Factory firmware issue with a batch of E8000 motors. Still no update fix from Canyon yet, although I did get a polite email stating that it doesn't affect the bike's safety.....my biggest concern is the resale value of the eBike with a motor that logs double the mileage....try convincing a buyer otherwise!
I guess we'll have to keep on at Canyon to get a timely fix.

Alan969

Aug 15, 2020
Belgium
You are absolutely right.

Canyon emailed me that it is a Shimano problem, but I have my doubts. The same combination exists on many other brands without those problems.

Canyon makes a bike and doesn't test it ???

In a chat they told me the update would be half the distance but I don't believe them.

When I wanted to buy the EMTB they told me that I can charge the battery outside the bike without an adapter. This was also a lie.

The speed on the SC-E7000 is not 100% correct. If it says 25 mph, my GPS says 23 mph. If I change the speed on the display to -5%, the difference becomes 0.7 km / h. So -5% is not enough. The problem when I change this is that the motor stops at 24 / km / h (GPS).

With 0% it stops at 23 km / h and with + 5% it stops at 22 km / h (GPS). So this is another problem. The wheel circumference must be changed to correct this ...

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
I also had a chat about charging the battery off bike (as per manual) and the guy said he'd send me an adaptor FOC....guess what, it never arrived.

TBH, I think customer demand is overstretching their build capacity and QA. My partner's Grand Canyon 8 (sent a month before mine) was assembled well, mine was a POS, Derailleur was clunky (hanger bent and badly adjusted), rear wheel loose, spongy brakes, crank arm bolts not torqued correctly and play in stem. Wheels were true but couple of spokes were seriously over tight.

Not what one would expect on a £3800 ebike, but all resolvable.

Did you get a timescale on the odometer fix?

Alan969

Aug 15, 2020
Belgium
No, the guy told me to post on the contact form and be notified when there would be an update.
When I cycle, something vibrates (both when I push and when not pushing). Until now I have not been able to find what is vibrating and how to fix it. In the chat I was told to create and post a video. I will do that the following week.

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
Funny that, I have a similar intermittent rattle/vibration, and haven't found the root cause but its definitely coming from behind the motor.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
You are absolutely right.

Canyon emailed me that it is a Shimano problem, but I have my doubts. The same combination exists on many other brands without those problems.

Canyon makes a bike and doesn't test it ???

In a chat they told me the update would be half the distance but I don't believe them.

When I wanted to buy the EMTB they told me that I can charge the battery outside the bike without an adapter. This was also a lie.

The speed on the SC-E7000 is not 100% correct. If it says 25 mph, my GPS says 23 mph. If I change the speed on the display to -5%, the difference becomes 0.7 km / h. So -5% is not enough. The problem when I change this is that the motor stops at 24 / km / h (GPS).

With 0% it stops at 23 km / h and with + 5% it stops at 22 km / h (GPS). So this is another problem. The wheel circumference must be changed to correct this ...

It may be a firmware problem with a batch of motors sent from Shimano to Canyon only.

I have a bit of similar speedo problem with my E8000, but that was easily corrected with eTube app.

Peter73

Sep 9, 2020
Slovakia
To solve the odometer problem, turn the speed sensor 90 degrees. I did it and now it works properly.Now I have a difference between GPS and cycling computer up to 1km :) I solved it from SHIMANO not Canyon

20200810_221328.jpg

20200809_201456.jpg

20200910_110937.jpg

Last edited:

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
I chased Canyon last week, two months after I raised the issue with them and they acknowledged it....however no response!

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
I chased Canyon last week, two months after I raised the issue with them and they acknowledged it....however no response!
That's not good, I ordered the neuron: on 9 but ultimately cancelled it when this issue came to light and the suspension bush, and because they kept delaying my order.

Glad I did now. I know the bike market has gone mental, Hope they sort it out and get back on top of things as I was hoping to go for the 2021 model assuming they release it with the EP8 motor.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
To solve the odometer problem, turn the speed sensor 90 degrees. I did it and now it works properly.Now I have a difference between GPS and cycling computer up to 1km :) I solved it from SHIMANO not Canyon

View attachment 39996

you'll be glad to know canyon now have an official fix for this.

Its basically a spacer that fills this groove and allows you to rotate your sensor as you have done without it flexing the sensor, they send it out FOC if you contact them. ?

Peter73

Sep 9, 2020
Slovakia
you'll be glad to know canyon now have an official fix for this.

Its basically a spacer that fills this groove and allows you to rotate your sensor as you have done without it flexing the sensor, they send it out FOC if you contact them. ?

I have a pad under the sensor there. But I'm still waiting for a new frame after the complaint. The charging port has broken.

20200803_134831.jpg

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
Emailed Canyon service centre back in July, got a response stating they were looking into a fix.

Emailed again in early Sept, no response!

Emailed again late Sept, no response!

All emails are follow up replies to the original case no.

Not sure what's going on with Canyon, clearly they are more interested in shifting boxes than service/warranty issues.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Emailed Canyon service centre back in July, got a response stating they were looking into a fix.

Emailed again in early Sept, no response!

Emailed again late Sept, no response!

All emails are follow up replies to the original case no.

Not sure what's going on with Canyon, clearly they are more interested in shifting boxes than service/warranty issues.

Did you pay on credit card? You could file a section 75.

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
Finally got a response from Canyon with instructions on how to resolve the issue.....put a washer behind the sensor and give it twist.....just like Peter73 showed us in an earlier post.
As an engineer I'd call this a fudge not a solution, the sensor is no longer retained in the chainstay and is left to dangle!
Looks like I'll have to design and 3D print something more suitable.

Alan969

Aug 15, 2020
Belgium
The vibration that can be heard in the frame is still not resolved. Last month the rear brake line was suddenly worn at the height of the rear tire. As if the tire runs against it now and then. I still wonder how that is possible as the pipe is 3-4mm from the tire anyway. Canyon claims the reason would lie with the transportation. The line would have shifted during transport. I'm sure it was not. The pipe has been replaced again. They have now attached the pipe a little more to the bottom so that the band could no longer touch the pipe. I hoped that with that the vibration would also have disappeared, but that is not the case. The vibration is not coming from the engine. Even with the engine switched off, I have that vibration. Even without a battery I have that vibration. I think it's a pipe (maybe from the saddle?) Vibrating against the frame. The problem is, the vibration isn't always there. Canyon claims that there is no vibration, I lie about this too ...

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
The vibration that can be heard in the frame is still not resolved. Last month the rear brake line was suddenly worn at the height of the rear tire. As if the tire runs against it now and then. I still wonder how that is possible as the pipe is 3-4mm from the tire anyway. Canyon claims the reason would lie with the transportation. The line would have shifted during transport. I'm sure it was not. The pipe has been replaced again. They have now attached the pipe a little more to the bottom so that the band could no longer touch the pipe. I hoped that with that the vibration would also have disappeared, but that is not the case. The vibration is not coming from the engine. Even with the engine switched off, I have that vibration. Even without a battery I have that vibration. I think it's a pipe (maybe from the saddle?) Vibrating against the frame. The problem is, the vibration isn't always there. Canyon claims that there is no vibration, I lie about this too ...

I sometimes hear a noise from the rear on my Spectral:ON. I'll have to check for this issue. IMHO wheels flex more than 3-4 mm when put under load, 29" ones even more than the 27.5", which I have.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My Shimano E8000 has a rattle when you are on rough ground, turning the pedals but either not under power, or using very light pressure.
l think it's the engagement clutch in the motor.
So long as it doesn't stop working l am not going to bother about it.
lt does sound like something like a brake cable banging against the frame or maybe the battery rattling, but as it doesn't do it when you stop pedalling it has to be the motor.

I believe a similar thing happens on the EP8, except all the time.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
The EP8 rattling comes when you rotate the chainring slighly back and forth. This is why the rattle comes when freewheeling at speed because the rear suspension movement pulls and pushes the chain.

It doesn't happens when pedalling.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Ah, OK well that's happening to some extent with my E8000 but only when you are applying gentle pedal pressure, and only on rough ground/rocks, l assume that it's the clutch engagement/disengagement as the chain tension changes with suspension movement.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles