New Canyon Neuron:ON CF with Bosch motor!

ItsMeMicke

May 15, 2023
Sweden
Just saw this, Canyon has released a new Neuron:ON CF with the Bosch motor 😛👍

AL versions seems to still have the Shimano motor.

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
A few weeks ago I received my Neuron:ON 7 with the Shimano motor and now this one is released... :unsure:

While searching for a bike and doing test rides, I found that I preferred the Bosch motor, but equivalent models to the Neuron:ON were out of my price range; I got the AL Neuron:ON 7 for 3600 euros. This new CF version is 4999, so 1400 euros of difference. I could still send the AL one back and buy this new one, but as I'm a newbie to eMTB, could anyone help please in figuring out if that 1400 euro increase is "worth it"?

I'm sure it's subjective to a degree: I expect to pay some hundreds of euros more for having the Bosch motor I originally wanted, the extra 125w battery, but for the rest, when I compare the other components, there are some areas where it's exactly the same and some where they've changed, and I don't know how similar/better/(worse?) the new version may be compared to the old?

Since I'm so ignorant I'm just looking for help to understand the differences please. For reference, I'm mainly looking to do long tours exploring the mountains where I live; a mix of tarred road to get from home to the mountain, then forest roads/paths and trails in the mountains. No jumping planned, and no great speed planned either (previous broken ribs from a MTB fall has left me a bit too cautious now 😬) The main idea is just to use the eMTB to get out and explore (and hopefully get more fit while doing so!)

Thanks very much for your help/thoughts!

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Thanks, I was hoping there would be a write-up about it today. I had looked at the Spectral last year but concluded it was too much bike for what I wanted to do: I'm never going to be doing lots of flow trails and playful jumps, which is apparently what the Spectral excels at. So if the Neuron is a "Spectral-light", could it still be too much for the riding I described before?

Also, I've got no experience with different geometries, but from what I've read, slacker head tube and more enduro-like means less comfortable for longer tours, would that be right? Again, I'm wondering if this new Neuron:ON is actually less suited to me than the previous version, ie long tours with occasional trails but never at speed, which my reading suggests the previous Neuron was really good for...

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Articles starting to appear on various sites now; not sure if URL posting to other sites is allowed? (apologies if not and @mods please feel free to remove if so...)

This paragraph in this article might just answer my question: First Ride: Canyon's New Neuron:On - Pinkbike
"Within the broad realm of e-bikes, the short travel, full powered options have always baffled me a little bit. As a 140mm frame with trail geometry and components, the Neuron:ON fits squarely into that category. However, after a day of riding the Neuron through varied terrain, and pushing the limits of its range, I can start to see who this category might appeal to. For folks who are more concerned with getting out and covering ground, remaining comfortable over the course of the day, and aren't too fixated on riding gnarlier lines, this could be the ticket."

yarg

Feb 23, 2023
French Alps
Well that's the end of that then: didn't realise at first that the battery on the Neuron:ON CF models can't be removed for charging. What a ridiculous design decision!! :mad: Real pity as the bike ticks all other boxes for me, but I can't leave battery-in-bike in my sub-zero garage all winter.....sigh....

ItsMeMicke

May 15, 2023
Sweden
Well that's the end of that then: didn't realise at first that the battery on the Neuron:ON CF models can't be removed for charging. What a ridiculous design decision!! :mad: Real pity as the bike ticks all other boxes for me, but I can't leave battery-in-bike in my sub-zero garage all winter.....sigh....
I have the same problem 😕

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles