Buying advice?!

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
Hi everyone,

New member here, have been reading through the posts over the last few days but still discombobulated with regards to which e-mtb to buy!

I currently have use of a 2018 Levo Comp Carbon, which has persuaded me I need an e-mtb in my life! I live in the fens, Thetford forest nearest trails (nothing gnarly there), Phoenix bike Park just down the road and Chicksands an hour away. Twisted Oaks about 90 minutes away (heading there tomorrow for first time to check it out). Realistically, I know a Levo would suffice for most of my riding, but I do like to go to BPW and Cwmcarn, so am actually thinking about getting a Kenevo.

Anyway, my current conundrum is that I can get a new e-mtb on my Cycle to work scheme. I have 3 options currently;

• 2018 Kenevo Expert in Cali Fade - Ex hire bike - £3300
  • 2019 Kenevo Expert in Black - Brand New £4750
  • 2020 Kenevo Comp - Brand New - £5k
I have ridden the 2018 Expert a few times, motor is same as the Levo I have access to. I am leaning towards the 2020 Kenevo comp in S2 or S3 size (my Spectral CF8.0 is a small so think the S2 may be better option). Reasoning is, newer motor, potential to put 700wh battery in and can always upgrade forks/shock later if needed.

Can anyone that has both or has ridden both give me their opinions. I know Christian is a font of knowledge and has the 2019 and 2020 expert. I guess the choice really is the 2018 ex hire Kenevo Expert or 2020 Comp, would love the 2020 Expert but just can't justify the extra!

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
You could argue that just proves that @Christian is indecisive ! :)

And greedy :)

How does his "review" - not a proper one as he didnt' fall off ... on the 2020 thread steer you ??

@Pablo has a 2020 comp and seems to like it ..

How tall are you ??

I am 5'6" (168cm). I am currently using a mates 2018 Turbo Levo size Large, feels ok but a medium would be better.

Christians review made me sway more to the 2020 comp, although concern is the extra length but going for the S2 may counter that. In reality, the Levo is probably the more suitable bike for most the riding I do, BUT, I want a bike that is really good at BPW, Cwmcarn etc and think the extra travel of the Kenevo will be perfect.

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Ok I will share my thoughts.

A Levo is still a very capable bike, even on the rough gravity stuff. So don’t count them out yet.
As I know nothing of the parks you mentioned I can not comment on what’s best for you.
In a nutshell though
2019/20 Levo greater all round trail bike hands down.
2019/20 comp Kenevo great gravity/trail bike
2020 expert Kenevo great gravity/downhill bike.
For me it’s that simple.
As far as comp/expert/sworks that depends on wether you have money to upgrade or not.
You can upgrade the fork/shock on a Levo to make it more gravity compliant.
You can upgrade the Kenevo to a 29er front to give it better rollover ability.
If you don’t want to spend money on mods then I suggest by the best you can afford and stay with it.
If your gonna upgrade then by the base, sell what you don’t want and work your way up.

Battery is another consideration for you. 500w for me has been enough for 90% of my rides but I wanted enough for every ride so I upgraded. The other option is to by a battery extender or a second battery.

At the end of the day not one of those choices is a bad one in my opinion. I rode a base model Alu 2018 Levo and absolutely loved it.
For me anything’s better than a pedal bike.

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Also if your 6”1 do not buy an S2. Way too small. I’m 5”10 and S4 but I’m a gravity slut so I like it long and slack.
S3 is probably better suited to trail riding.

Pablo

Aug 25, 2019
Hampshire
I sat on s3 also, and felt ok, guy in shop said if I wanted it purely for hitting jumps it would be fine, but said I’d be better suited to s4, happy with my choice

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I'm 5'6 so s2 or s3. Thinking 2020 Kenevo comp maybe with the 700wh battery, will be good for trails and also when I hit the gravity parks
Ah sorry I got you guys confused. My brother is same height as you and tried both an S2 and S3 today and felt that the S3 was better suited for our aggressive style. I think for your height either or is fine.
Just choose what feels better to sit on but S2 for playtime and S3 for Gravity, both will do either.

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
Also, the reason I am looking at Kenevo over Levo is my Spectral is 150mm travel and whilst it copes, I always feel that more travel is needed when I'm at Bike park wales and similar

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
You could argue that just proves that @Christian is indecisive ! :)

And greedy :)

How does his "review" - not a proper one as he didnt' fall off ... on the 2020 thread steer you ??

As for you, I am neither indecisive nor greedy.

Specialized should have made the Levo EVO along time ago. They also should have put the new motor and battery into the 2019 Kenevo and called that a 2020 Kenevo.
I almost, almost bought the parts to make something up but I decided against it when I saw my new black beast.

I simply saw a bike better suited to my needs and life is too short to worry about money. I sold my car to fund the purchase as it wasn’t needed anymore and now I have two lovely ebikes.
and I know your taking the piss so I’ll end with a ? to keep the mood

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles