Advice or tips on buying a used 2017 Levo

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
Interesting question...I would start with downloading the mission control app and linking up to the bike and seeing how many recharges the battery has gone through.
Second, if you are allowed, ride it under strain and again look at the mission control app at the temperatures of the battery and motor...that will tell alot about the battery/motor status...
My LBS hooked me up to the mission control app (before purchase) and showed that the battery had only been charged 1 time so i knew it was a brand new battery...
Hope that helps...

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Took the words right out of my brain.

Look at the battery motor health in the app.

Also check out the bike stuff too, leaking suspension, dings or flat spots in the rims, the dropper works smoothly and doesn’t lag or not extend fully, Kinks in the cables or hoses, both sides of the brake pistons actuate, check the stays for dents.

Also see if the seller will give you the original receipt so maybe you can salvage the warranty.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Yep, wouldn't commit until the 19 news is out. Could see a glut of 2018s on the market. Carbon comp is available now at £4250 so maybe under £4k in a few weeks. Depends on the pricing of the new stuff tho. Personally, I would go for a lower spec 2018 bike.

Aug 28, 2018
Orange County, CA
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I am in the US and looking at a 17 Levo expert with about 2500 miles for $3000 usd. Unfortunately, I can’t find any used 18 Levos for under 4,000 USD. I tried getting an 18 Levo demo at the Spesh concept store, but they were asking $3600, which the bike didn’t have a dropper post and not so great components.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I am in the US and looking at a 17 Levo expert with about 2500 miles for $3000 usd. Unfortunately, I can’t find any used 18 Levos for under 4,000 USD. I tried getting an 18 Levo demo at the Spesh concept store, but they were asking $3600, which the bike didn’t have a dropper post and not so great components.

As mentioned in the post from @Norange
If you can wait a few days there will be plenty of second hand 2018 available once the 2019 Levo is announced and then you will be spoilt for choice ?

fragledoozer

Aug 12, 2018
southport
it is a large levo fsr carbon in satin carbon and chameleon i will get it pictured today and put hours used etc on here in great order i also have a hard tail comp in carbon grey but going to keep that

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If going down the used road, check if the cranks spin backward super freely. Also spin backwards by hand fast and feel / listen for noise.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
There's no way I'd ever buy a secondhand Emtb with no warranty.

It is a real bummer but I believe the motor warranty only follows the original owner. Not sure if the frame warranty is the same...

@Al Boneta do you know what Specialized support is like for second hand bikes and also out of warranty motors and frames?

Is it 2 years for the motor and 5 for the frame? Not sure....

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
In Europe the warranty follows the product and not the initial owner, that is a EU law that no big company can sneak out of - You guys are still member of the "Club" a few month still ;)

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
In Europe the warranty follows the product and not the initial owner, that is a EU law that no big company can sneak out of - You guys are still member of the "Club" a few month still ;)
Are you 100% sure on that?
Do you have the warranty document that states this for EU countries?

The following is from the Specialized website.
The below only covers bikes purchased after July the 1st 2018. There is an Assisted Replacement Program for bikes purchased before the 1st of July 2018 but you need to contact your Specialized dealer to get more info and pricing.

Global Warranty
At Specialized, our first guiding principle is that "The Rider is the Boss." Our priority is to serve our riders with the most innovative cycling products in the world, and to stand behind the products that we sell. For this reason, we're pleased to offer one of the industry's most generous and rider-friendly warranty policies. It's simple, too:
  • We stand behind our frames—forever. This means we offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner against structural defects in material or workmanship on ALL models of Specialized-branded frames and forks. This includes seatstays and chainstays on full-suspension bikes.
  • Just like our frames, Roval wheels are warrantied for life.
  • Other Specialized-branded products (as well as frame paint and graphics) are covered by a two-year warranty. Turbo batteries have a warranty for 2 years or 300 charge cycles—whichever comes first.
  • If you're the second, or later, owner of a Specialized or Roval product, you are eligible for a two-year warranty from the date of the original retail purchase.
Our complete policy, with all terms and conditions, is included below. You should read the entire policy. It applies to all Specialized products sold after July 1, 2018. Do the research—it’s one of the best out there.

Specialized Warranty FAQs:
Q: How do I submit a warranty claim to Specialized?
A: Contact your Authorized Specialized Retailer and they will help you through the process. If you've purchased your product on Specialized.com, contact Specialized Rider Care directly.
Q: What documentation do I need for my claim?
A: As a start, you will need to provide the part you want warrantied, along with the original proof of purchase, to an Authorized Specialized Retailer. For products purchased on Specialized.com, Rider Care will provide instructions on claim submittal.
Q: What is NOT covered by your warranty?
A: Replacement of wear and tear parts, damage from a crash or other accidental damage, and damage from abuse or corrosion are all examples of what is not covered. See the complete warranty policy for a more detailed list.
Q: I am not eligible for a warranty. Do you have a program to help me?
A: Yes. Our Assisted Replacement Program may offer preferred pricing for riders that are not eligible for warranty. For further details on terms and eligibility, contact your retailer.
Q: I have a warranty issue with a non-Specialized component on a Specialized bike. What should I do?
"3rd party" components (e.g. SRAM or Shimano) are warrantied directly by that manufacturer. Separate warranty information for these parts should have been included with your bike when you purchased it. Contact your nearest Authorized Specialized Retailer for assistance.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Go ahead and dig into the Law jungle of EU but yes I'm absolutely sure. Any product sold within EU do have a 2 year warranty, from the date of initial purchase.

In most circumstances the new owner should contact the seller and announce new ownership of the product. Sometimes original owner will be asked to confirm the change of ownership. No company can make any warranty rules that do not comply with the EU law regarding warranty - Just ask Apple, the have lost a couple of major cases lately as they did not comply with EU law.

Karsten

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Go ahead and dig into the Law jungle of EU but yes I'm absolutely sure. Any product sold within EU do have a 2 year warranty, from the date of initial purchase.

In most circumstances the new owner should contact the seller and announce new ownership of the product. Sometimes original owner will be asked to confirm the change of ownership. No company can make any warranty rules that do not comply with the EU law regarding warranty - Just ask Apple, the have lost a couple of major cases lately as they did not comply with EU law.

Karsten

The EU warranty-regulations are written here - but on second-hand goods it can also be only 1 year (depending on the country and shop rules) and on private sells there is no warranty at all.

1535970823442.png

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
My point is that if there is still a remaining period of warranty from the goods were new, that warranty will still be transferred to the new owner. If item is outside the first 2 years window, it is an entire different matter and the law is a bit more complicated I agree.

As a matter of fact, in certain circumstances where goods are older than 2 years and sold between private individuals, it will also be under the protection of the buyer. The latter is very hard to claim and usually goes via a court.

Karsten

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
My point is that if there is still a remaining period of warranty from the goods were new, that warranty will still be transferred to the new owner. If item is outside the first 2 years window, it is an entire different matter and the law is a bit more complicated I agree.

As a matter of fact, in certain circumstances where goods are older than 2 years and sold between private individuals, it will also be under the protection of the buyer. The latter is very hard to claim and usually goes via a court.

Karsten
It says right under second hand goods
“goods bought from a private seller or public auction are not covered”

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It says right under second hand goods
“goods bought from a private seller or public auction are not covered”

Be aware that we have other laws within the European Union, laws that not even mighty Apple can overcome - They tried and lost big time in court. No matter what you buy from new there is a 2 year warranty. Within this 2 year period the warranty follows the goods no matter how many times the goods are traded in the 2 year period. That law does also relates to the specialized dealership within the European Union. By law the shop selling you the goods are responsible for the warranty and no way they can deviate from that.

Karsten

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Be aware that we have other laws within the European Union, laws that not even mighty Apple can overcome - They tried and lost big time in court. No matter what you buy from new there is a 2 year warranty. Within this 2 year period the warranty follows the goods no matter how many times the goods are traded in the 2 year period. That law does also relates to the specialized dealership within the European Union. By law the shop selling you the goods are responsible for the warranty and no way they can deviate from that.

Karsten
If you buy from a private seller it clearly states in the rules @Donnie797 posted which came from a EU website that goods are not covered by the original warranty.
Donnie797 posted this and showed his source to support his statement. You have not shown any source to support the contrary of your statement.
It is irresponsible to give financial or legal advice that is baseless or opinion.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thanks for the kind words!

That he as a matter of fact said “Aggree” to my previous statement does not mean anything.......

Do you have a bad hair day today?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Thanks for the kind words!

That he as a matter of fact said “Aggree” to my previous statement does not mean anything.......

Do you have a bad hair day today?
My words were not kind or unkind, I was merely stating the facts as I read them.

If you take offense to statement of fact, than that is something you might want to seek counseling for.

He agreed that warranty would transfer within the two year window. I agree with this as well, it says so in the link he posted.

I never have bad hair days, my hair is quite thick and luscious.
1D2919F2-CD35-47F2-83E3-42717111018F.jpeg

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
So what are we actually discussing here, I'm a Dane(Viking with red hair btw) so English is not my native language. To my best knowledge I have never claimed anything but the fact that warranty will be transferred in the initial warranty period of 2 years counting from the day of initial purchase(Legal seller). If my comments gave any other impression, I'm sorry for my bad English.

As a side note I do consider myself of great mental health and always do my best to treat my surroundings the way I want to be treated myself - You sure could still learn a thing or 2 based on your way of communicating ;)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Ugh, first off I hate legal texts ...

Then just stating some things as I read them from that link above ...

It says that the "guarantee" it mentions is actually different from any "warranty" as that depends on whatever the dealer offers as their warranty.

And then for the guarantee specifically:

"The 2-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods.
  • In some EU countries you must inform the seller within 2 months of discovering a fault, otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.
  • Within 6 months of receiving the goods, you need to show the trader that the goods are faulty or not as advertised.
  • After 6 months, in most EU countries, you need to prove that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods - for example, by showing that it is due to the poor quality of the materials used."
So the warranty will be more useful than the guarantee I suspect in general. But like it says the warranty is up to what the dealer is offering as their cover.

Way too complicated o_O

Going to re-read it again now!!

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So what are we actually discussing here, I'm a Dane(Viking with red hair btw) so English is not my native language. To my best knowledge I have never claimed anything but the fact that warranty will be transferred in the initial warranty period of 2 years counting from the day of initial purchase(Legal seller). If my comments gave any other impression, I'm sorry for my bad English.

As a side note I do consider myself of great mental health and always do my best to treat my surroundings the way I want to be treated myself - You sure could still learn a thing or 2 based on your way of communicating ;)
I didn’t mean any offense in either of my responses. The internet can’t take in to account tone or demeanor in someone’s post. That and the language barrier stand to reason you taking exception to my posts.

I love Denmark, your country has blessed the world with the Danish Pastry, Carlsberg Beer, colorclimax/Rodox and the greatest toy of all time, Lego

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
colorclimax....... we are indeed liberal ?

In this context you are forgetting the most important, together with the Dutch we are considered the most cycling friendly country in the world.

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles