Buying ab 2017/18 secondhand Levo? Advice please

Craig5

Jul 26, 2019
Bury
As the title suggests, this is what I'm planning on doing. There is no way I can afford one otherwise. My employer doesn't do any kind of cycle to work scheme, and I don't want to buy on credit. I have bought all my other bikes second hand, no problem. However the electric element of e-bikes dose make me a bit nervous. The primary reason for buying one will be for commuting to work, but Id be kidding myself if I said I wouldn't be taking it up my local hill (or everywhere else). So second hand buying advice please, replacement costs for motors etc because I doubt I will get any warranty support. My budget is about £2500/28000.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
You can get a Haibike for around that money second hand. Go full sus.

The Bosch motors have two years warranty on them. The other motors I have no experience of.

Motor reconditioning is around £200 if you do it yourself, and the kit is available from Bosch if there is no warranty left. A Bosch battery is around £500 but the battery is rarely shot.

As for Levo’s Second hand i’d only get them from a dealer with some warranty. Chris @ Berkshire sells used bikes with warranty. If you call and ask him tell him what your after he’ll notify you when a trade in comes in which is quite often. The Brose motor is a bit of a closed system for home repairs as is the battery as it’s specialized only.

Ask or check the mileage on a used bike as at around 1000miles your gonna need a new Sprocket, Chain and Cassette which may well set you back another £250 of it hasn’t been done and if they say still shifts fine etc at some point in the not so distant future that will be a cost.

Check the bearings on the rear triangle aren’t shot. You can do that by moving the bike left and right when it’s stationary, there shouldn’t be any play in them. UK weather does grind the bearings if it’s been ridden a lot in the winter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles