Building a better mousetrap

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I keep my bike and kit in the garage. Last year I started to get mice in there. They can make a proper nuisance of themselves. For example: chewing on spare towels, making nests in my safety boots, eating the footbeds out my hiking boots. I feed the birds every day and I buy bird food in 25kg sacks. I had to start keeping that in a plastic bin instead. The sack contents didn't all fit in and I put the overflow in an old Tupperware container. The little bastards ate through the Tupperware! I had to take action before they started eating something important. I already knew that mice are doubly incontinent and were probably pissing on my towels as a minimum, and in my boots!

I bought a pack of two standard design mousetraps. Technology has moved on and the foot bed is now made of plastic with odd shaped holes in it, I suppose to trap the bait in there. The old design had a wooden footplate which had a spike upon which to impale the bait, I guess that spike had to go to make a better mousetrap (for better read cheaper, because it certainly wasn't "better"). Here are the traps either side of the bird seed bin.

Seed bin.jpg

I started with chocolate in both traps, but the bait kept getting stolen without the trap being sprung. The traps have a variable foot pressure adjustment, so I spent time and some risk to my fingers making it as sensitive as possible. The mice kept stealing the bait, both of them, for weeks! My wife was laughing at me! Different action was required. I was reluctant to give up the chocolate because they obviously loved it, but I had to try something different. I switched to raisins and they ate them just as rapidly and still without setting off the trap. Then I had a brainwave; I tied the raisin to the foot pedal using a needle and thread. Since then, the traps have never failed to catch a mouse. I was catching two per night for a nearly a week and then one per night for a few more days. Then nothing for weeks. I assumed that I had cleaned out the resident population. Then I started catching them at 1 or 2 every few weeks all through the Summer, I assume they were visitors. As the colder weather arrived, numbers picked up.

As I said I have two traps, one either side of the bird seed bin and yet the mice have a clear favourite (the one on the right). I have not changed the raisin bait for the whole of this year and the foot pedal and the wooden base is stained with blood, but still they come!

Mouse.jpg

In the above pic, you can see the cotton holding the raisin in place. That lump of yellow plastic next to the spring contains a wedge-shaped slot in which the spring pin fits. The sensitivity of the trap depends upon which end of the slot the pin is positioned.

But the key to defeating the mice is to tie the raisin to the foot pedal. Simples! :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for the tip.
I have exactly the same traps as you.
my temporary little pets like to enjoy ALDI Nutoka (German council Nutella) as their last meal

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
A dab of peanut butter is all you need....it sticks to the trap well and mice love it. I've even gotten double headers in mine.

Rats are about the same. The house I live in was mostly unoccupied for a number of years and while restoring it the Norway Rat population was pretty big. The rat traps are pretty much the same as the mouse ones but bigger and they like peanut butter also. Just to make sure we took an 18ga. finish nailer and put some extra "spikes" around the bait bit.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As I said I have two traps, one either side of the bird seed bin and yet the mice have a clear favourite (the one on the right). I have not changed the raisin bait for the whole of this year and the foot pedal and the wooden base is stained with blood, but still they come!
Mickey's not looking so good in the photo, what was the vet bill like ?? :unsure:

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Mousemaggedon.

Also a fan of the peanut butter here.

I went through a phase of storing bikes upside down to oil the fork seals - read it in one of the mags! Result was a chewed titanium railed saddle and a holey saddlebag.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have a log roller trap.. they are about 5 quid off ebay
its basically a metal roller you attach across the top of a bucket and add peanut butter to the middle of
the mice run up a ramp you put to the roller, try to make it to the peanut butter and the roller does its thing and deposits them into the bottom of the bucket

filling the bucket with water is optional

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I have a log roller trap.. they are about 5 quid off ebay
its basically a metal roller you attach across the top of a bucket and add peanut butter to the middle of
the mice run up a ramp you put to the roller, try to make it to the peanut butter and the roller does its thing and deposits them into the bottom of the bucket

filling the bucket with water is optional

just out of curiosity I thought I’d look these up, as mice aren’t uncommon at mine backing onto fields etc.

10/10 for the marketing man on this 😂👍🏻

4B196BF4-218D-4175-BE57-85CB372441AA.jpeg

E18F5B93-6A24-440A-83E9-13ADB4F1C6A2.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Dad told me about one when I was a boy. You had to use a razor blade and a piece of cheese. Mount the razor blade upright on a flat piece of wood and put the cheese on one side. Block access to one side. The mouse has to lean over the blade to get to the cheese. I asked if it worked. He told me that the first mouse always took the cheese without harm, but the second mouse looked over the blade and went "where's the bloody cheese and cut its own throat!" :ROFLMAO:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mickey's not looking so good in the photo, what was the vet bill like ?? :unsure:
Last year, one mouse must have walked over the trap because it was trapped by one leg and walked off with the trap. I found it and put on the garage floor, trapping the wooden part with my foot. I picked up a spade and brought the edge of the blade down across its back in an attempt to cut it in half. The mouse continued to struggle and was definitely not harmed in any way! After a moment of astonishment, I looked at the edge of the spade. After years of use, the edge had curved so that there was a 3/16" gap when placed on a straight edge. That was enough for the mouse to be unharmed. I hit it a calibrated blow with the back of the spade and crushed its skull. The poor thing had been dragging that trap around all night, it had suffered enough.

I have caught only 10 since early Nov, after a long dry spell. If the cold weather kicks in, I expect the catch rate will accelerate. I suspect that Darwin's Law means that all the adventurous/curious mice are steadily being removed from the breeding population around here.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Very spurious link to eMTBing but thanks for a great thread. Made me laugh out loud reading “how to catch/kill curious/adventurous mice” tips

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
just out of curiosity I thought I’d look these up, as mice aren’t uncommon at mine backing onto fields etc.

10/10 for the marketing man on this 😂👍🏻

View attachment 78111

View attachment 78112
These pictures just look like promotional images for a fun water park for your pet mice :

1639479115203.png

1639479138392.png

The one above even caters to rodents but made a spelling mistake on the poster (easy to do, the letters are next to each other).

1639479432923.png

1639479343870.png

You're not supposed to be making it fun for the little b4stards !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And still they come! (That green stuff on its tail is "Oasis", a flower arranging product that my wife uses).

Mouse 2.jpg

Here is the trap, showing the same raisin and the bloodstains that do not appear to be scaring off the mice, despite their famed sense of smell. At least it kills them in an instant (apart from just one that got its leg caught).
Mousetrap.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
For a building ( shed/garage etc) it is far easier to spot how the mice gain entry and deter them by putting some garlic powder at those spots. Any strong smelling spice will in fact do. It also works for rats who are far more destructive than field mice. Setting bait traps is to a degree counter productive since you attract the mice, especially this time of year when food sources are sparce, and you are placing a bet that you can can outdo their breeding rate with your cull............no chance!!

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I think Steve likes the cull though, first it was just a raisin on a trap, then he let slip he hunts them with a spade, soon he'll be hiding outside the garage with a sniper rifle.
1639504312804.png

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think Steve likes the cull though, first it was just a raisin on a trap, then he let slip he hunts them with a spade, soon he'll be hiding outside the garage with a sniper rifle.
View attachment 78166
such a ridiculous photo!! Wearing forest camouflage in the middle of a green/grass space....using a rifle with nice glossy finish and no camouflage..........and no gloves.............plus its an air rifle!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For a building ( shed/garage etc) it is far easier to spot how the mice gain entry and deter them by putting some garlic powder at those spots. Any strong smelling spice will in fact do. It also works for rats who are far more destructive than field mice. Setting bait traps is to a degree counter productive since you attract the mice, especially this time of year when food sources are sparce, and you are placing a bet that you can can outdo their breeding rate with your cull............no chance!!
I understand your point; I agree that prevention is better than a cure. The problem is with the prevention, and how would I know it was working without laying traps. As long as I am catching one every couple of nights, I reckon I'm on top of it.

I have two 8' wide up and over garage doors that fail to seal at the bottom or sides. The mice can walk right in, probably without even noticing that there is supposed to be a barrier to them. The man-access door seals well, but might as well not do so. I now keep the available food source well secured, but the attraction is that the garage is warm and dry with loads of nesting material. The inside is like Steptoe's Yard so the contents provide concealment and a jungle gym for entertainment. I would never be able to keep them out or find them if I went looking. I believe that keeping on top of the problem by disposing of them as soon as they arrive is a sensible policy. I can go long spells in the Summer without catching anything, so that supports my belief that they come in for shelter not food. I live in the country so there is an abundance of food outside normally. If I start catching two mice every night, I will buy more traps and use them until the kill rate declines indicating to me that the problem is back under control.

I have no problem with mice per se; I leave alone the ones that live in the garden wall and feed from the bird table and or eat the plants now and again. They run about underneath the patio, sticking their heads up from time to time to nick some fallen morsel. The local cats tend to keep the numbers down anyway, them and the Sparrowhawk.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles