The Back Garden Bike Park Build

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
2 years ago I made a video about the plan for a good size trail in my back garden, watch it here !

but yesterday me and Sam made a start on it..
we are loving it so much that tomorrows visit to bikepark Wales is off and we are instead making a start on digging the next section !

Neither of us have ever built a trail so everyone here that has, we would appreciate all your suggestions! the first problem we have is the dirt, its very claggy when wet and sticks to everything.. what can be done?

Episode 1

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
the first problem we have is the dirt, its very claggy when wet and sticks to everything.. what can be done?

1651441083489.png
?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Now you may dismiss this suggestion as SH#T but it will work!! Having a claggy soil is good as far as the foundation of the trail is concerned because it will consolidate well. To break up the top surface you need a mulch and given the quantity you will need it needs to be cheap. So the answer is horse poo!! Well its not really poo..........its mostly was is cleared out of the stables, and that is either shavings or straw ( mixed with a bit of poo and piss!!. OK it sounds wrong but most horse owners accumulate large muck heaps over time and once properly rotted down it becomes an ideal medium for breaking up claggy soil.........and they usually end up having to pay a farmer to remove the heap!
If you have a small trailer it should be easy to find someone wanting a muck heap reduced.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Now you may dismiss this suggestion as SH#T but it will work!! Having a claggy soil is good as far as the foundation of the trail is concerned because it will consolidate well. To break up the top surface you need a mulch and given the quantity you will need it needs to be cheap. So the answer is horse poo!! Well its not really poo..........its mostly was is cleared out of the stables, and that is either shavings or straw ( mixed with a bit of poo and piss!!. OK it sounds wrong but most horse owners accumulate large muck heaps over time and once properly rotted down it becomes an ideal medium for breaking up claggy soil.........and they usually end up having to pay a farmer to remove the heap!
If you have a small trailer it should be easy to find someone wanting a muck heap reduced.
cool, ive not heard that one before..
I have a LOT of wood shavings.. perhaps that might help?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
cool, ive not heard that one before..
I have a LOT of wood shavings.. perhaps that might help?
compost them and yep they will.......... just pile them up inside a 3 sided enclosure...let them get wet, that (debris from trees) and leaves rotted together is what creates forest loam!! Non composted they will just blow away!!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
compost them and yep they will.......... just pile them up inside a 3 sided enclosure...let them get wet, that (debris from trees) and leaves rotted together is what creates forest loam!! Non composted they will just blow away!!
already in progress then :D

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Jealous! That looks pretty cool.
I guess I can't complain as I have a 6 km river trail I maintain starting almost at my front door. But it is flat. just winds in and out of trees
Have fun, I look forward to following your progress!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The McLeod and Rogue look great 👍🏻, well done! I might add a McLeod to my kit also but the Rogue cuts through the roots quickly. I don’t know if it’s an advantage but our dirt has quite bit of rock and some larger stones. (We call it Gold because of its texture and colour). It makes for a good cover and base and doesn’t wash away easily. Packs nicely too.
Even though we get a lot of rain here our drainage needs regular maintenance. I’ve added several bridges were needed and I plan on them to survive for 15-20 years. Lots of respect to the trail builders 👍🏻.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
The McLeod and Rogue look great 👍🏻, well done! I might add a McLeod to my kit also but the Rogue cuts through the roots quickly. I don’t know if it’s an advantage but our dirt has quite bit of rock and some larger stones. (We call it Gold because of its texture and colour). It makes for a good cover and base and doesn’t wash away easily. Packs nicely too.
Even though we get a lot of rain here our drainage needs regular maintenance. I’ve added several bridges were needed and I plan on them to survive for 15-20 years. Lots of respect to the trail builders 👍🏻.
yea trail building is hard bloody work !!
I like the mcleod more than the other, its a balance thing and probably because of the way I made them.
the mcleod copy is like a heavy duty rake and while it digs well its not as good as the pickaxe which im still using for any decent depth.
its a great tool though, especially for shaping and dragging surface dirt around and disturbing the top layers etc.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
a few days work went into this episode, great progress but unsure of a few things and how to finish off.
got plans for new lines already but I have shovelled enough for this bank holiday so that its for now and ill actually do some riding instead tomorrow.. im really looking forward to testing this line out.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m starting to like the music you chose and the editing is great 👍🏻. I’m looking forward to the next episode.
Don’t loose sleep trying to name your trails …they seem to name themselves 😉.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles