Levo Gen 3 Broken charging door

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Some dealers are also charging for labor when replacing the motor under warranty. I guess some dealers are more greedy than others ...

I see... but I think this is unfair. Especially if under warranty I am obliged to repair bringing the bike to the shop :|

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
No issues with my door so far, year of ownership..ride pretty hardcore stuff and have had a few big offs!
This thread got me paranoid as I ride some pretty hardcore rocky terrain myself. Every time I hear a thud I look down to see if the door is still there. So far so good, I’ve only had the bike a month though. Im thinking I’ll go ahead and order one of these just to keep on standby as I’m guessing I’ll eventually rip mine off.

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
This thread got me paranoid as I ride some pretty hardcore rocky terrain myself. Every time I hear a thud I look down to see if the door is still there. So far so good, I’ve only had the bike a month though. Im thinking I’ll go ahead and order one of these just to keep on standby as I’m guessing I’ll eventually rip mine off.

I might be wrong but I think a lot of this happens from people catching it a few times and weakening the plastic when it’s charging. Mines been fine and I’ve had a lot of crashes and the bikes wearing some scars 😂

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
The hinge becomes weakened because it sits on the edge of the bash guard. Couple of hits on the side of bash guard and the hinge is toast.

I don't have a new one yet but if it's not inboard of the bash guard seems like the same things going to happen.

The crappy bash guard needed to be a bit wider.

I am on my third cover. After the last one failed, I JB welded magnets to secure cover better, shortened the lever into a nub so it can't get easily be opened and beveled the door edges so they are inboard of bash guard. I have about 10 rides on it and it's been good so far with a few log strikes.

It amazes me that this flawed amateur design made it into production.

If they don't redesign the bash guard as well and make it wider the same thing's going to happen to that new cover it just might last a bit longer due to a better hinge.

20220926_141600.jpg

20220926_141547.jpg

Last edited:

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
Awaiting delivery of my Levo Turbo Comp at our LBS here in FL USA. Any good news re: new charging doors?
If not, other workarounds (besides gaffing tape).

Thx fellow emtb'ers,

MiTurboComp

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
I didn’t ask for ‘iT’ specifically. Assuming the new door will be on my new bike. I don’t even know what the new door looks like . . .

Maybe thiz?

5CF7DAC8-2EC5-4103-8FCE-8DBDAC7BDDAF.jpeg

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
Picked up my Turbo Comp yesterday. Black matte color not my 1st choice but sale on 2022 Comp made it a no-brainer. Updated door with hinge included. After registering and charging next step will be applying protective film.

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
Yes. The charging door was not a mod; it was installed on the bike from the factory.
Setting up Mission Control app connectivity and a brief test ride has me thinking probabilities . . . HOWLING FUN!

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Just had my duct taped cracked stock charge port door replaced with the new spring hinge.

It's "better" but if you side swipe or graze a log / rock that hinge will immediately rip off.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Anyone in the U.S. received a warranty replacement that is the hinge door with spring? I got a replacement couple months back and it was the same one I broke with no spring mechanism. It just broke again 😂 think I’ll wait to get it warrantied until I confirm the hinge door with the spring is the current replacement.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Anyone in the U.S. received a warranty replacement that is the hinge door with spring? I

Yes, I'm in SoCal and had my door replaced last week with the new spring hinge.

I had my done at a Specialized store, they bought my LBS.

Interestingly the new levos on the floor have the old door.

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
Mine just snapped yesterday, riding in -10 then into a warm garage went to open the door and crack, split the hinge half way

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Mine just snapped yesterday, riding in -10 then into a warm garage went to open the door and crack, split the hinge half way
With the door closed apply a 1" piece of duct tape over the hinge. It will keep it attached until you replace it.

I rode for 500 miles with a crack and tape.

Yamanote

May 24, 2018
Maui, Hawaii
Charge port door is terrible. How did that make it past design?? I'm on my third replacement, waiting for the spring loaded permanent fix. It's just too easy to forget and move pedals and it slices off like butter. What the heck!

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Charge port door is terrible. How did that make it past design?? I'm on my third replacement, waiting for the spring loaded permanent fix. It's just too easy to forget and move pedals and it slices off like butter. What the heck!

The replacement door with hinge isn't winning any design awards either. It kind of fits and it makes the battery plug fit awkward and sometimes doesn't fully engage.

Good news is it doesn't fall off.

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
The replacement door with hinge isn't winning any design awards either. It kind of fits and it makes the battery plug fit awkward and sometimes doesn't fully engage.

Good news is it doesn't fall off.
Have to agree, it is only better because its an actual hinge with a pin rather than bending over thin plastic.
The issue is the rock guard on the bottom does no offer any protection to the hinge edge of the door. It is simply wide open to any rock, root or log coming its way.

An elementary school kid could have designed this better. Truly amazing this design went into production.

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
Just ordered the new hinges door from a semi-local LSB. Says it’s in stock. Will see when it shows up. My original hasn’t snapped yet but would just assume make the proactive fix

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
Did a google search and found a bike shop in California who had the new door in stock. Ordered for $40 as I recall and got in within a week. Installation was about 15 minutes including dropping the battery. Problem averted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles