Levo Gen 3 Broken charging door

dirtypedals

Feb 16, 2023
Canada
I went for warranty. They updated my battery free but would not warranty the door. $15 installed so I can't complain too much. And that is Canadian so like the price of an ice cream cone in USA. 🤣

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
What was their excuse to not warranty the door? It is a know issue (bad design) ...

dirtypedals

Feb 16, 2023
Canada
What was their excuse to not warranty the door? It is a know issue (bad design) ...
They said that they brought some of the doors in as a convenience to their clients. Still got the old door. It was absolutely my fault that I broke the door off. I was in a rush, charged my bike in the van, disconnected it but was too lazy to get up into the van to close the door. The next thing I did was roll the bike out the back at the staging area quickly and dropped it down to the ground like normal. The drop made the pedals go backwards quick and it snapped the door off.

I think Specialized thinks they are in the clear because they have a warning sticker on the inside of the door. I pick my battles.

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
Did a google search and found a bike shop in California who had the new door in stock. Ordered for $40 as I recall and got in within a week. Installation was about 15 minutes including dropping the battery. Problem averted.
Looks good, just ordered mine. I’m trying to take the old one off but I’m not sure which screws release it. The two behind the door are out but it still doesn’t want to come out. Your thoughts?

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
yikes my new bike has arrived with the dodgy flimsey one!

DSCF5547.JPG

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I have been VERY careful with mine. I am not even at 200km yet (4 or 5 charges, so door opened and closed 5 times) and it is already starting to split- maybe 8mm so far.

Cord

Mar 15, 2020
lancs
Has anyone (in the UK) got an original working door i can buy? The hinged version doesn't work with my bash guard, and all the shops only sell the newer hinged version, nobody i can see online has stock of the orginal.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
Has anyone (in the UK) got an original working door i can buy? The hinged version doesn't work with my bash guard, and all the shops only sell the newer hinged version, nobody i can see online has stock of the orginal.
Sounds like something is wrong there. I changed to the hinged version and my bash guard was nowhere near the new one.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Well lost my second door today. It's on the trail somewhere, didn't know until I got home. Hopefully Specialized will warrant it again. The bike shop will probably still charge me for labour as they are shit

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
The hinge becomes weakened because it sits on the edge of the bash guard. Couple of hits on the side of bash guard and the hinge is toast.

I don't have a new one yet but if it's not inboard of the bash guard seems like the same things going to happen.

The crappy bash guard needed to be a bit wider.

I am on my third cover. After the last one failed, I JB welded magnets to secure cover better, shortened the lever into a nub so it can't get easily be opened and beveled the door edges so they are inboard of bash guard. I have about 10 rides on it and it's been good so far with a few log strikes.

It amazes me that this flawed amateur design made it into production.

If they don't redesign the bash guard as well and make it wider the same thing's going to happen to that new cover it just might last a bit longer due to a better hinge.

View attachment 98092

View attachment 98093
What thickness are those magnets and how is your door holding up.

I got the V2 door installed today and am looking to do something similar or put a Velcro strap across the latching arm to stop it from moving.

dsd1036

Aug 28, 2019
Surrey
Hi I have one, it is a new warranty replacement but then I purchased the newer version from a different dealer so swapped it over myself, not sure what its worth though, any ideas?

IMG_5537.jpeg IMG_5536.jpeg

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
What thickness are those magnets and how is your door holding up.

I got the V2 door installed today and am looking to do something similar or put a Velcro strap across the latching arm to stop it from moving.
Magnets are about 3mm thick and did work excellent for several months but did come loose and I lost it on the trail. Ive since upgraded to the new version which has been working excellent for over 6 months now.

Chocolatelegs

Sep 8, 2023
Uk
Mine just give way after after 10 charge cycles at the seam and started splitting. Was replaced with the new version under warranty too

IcePaws

Sep 7, 2023
UK
I'm about to place an order for a brand new Levo Comp (2022) direct from Specialized (concept store UK)- would the bike come with the 'new' door or the flimsy old one (i'm not seeing the bike before it's delivered)?
If the old style, do you think it's worth asking them to change to the improved one before dispatch...?

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I'm about to place an order for a brand new Levo Comp (2022) direct from Specialized (concept store UK)- would the bike come with the 'new' door or the flimsy old one (i'm not seeing the bike before it's delivered)?
If the old style, do you think it's worth asking them to change to the improved one before dispatch...?
if its 22 it will probably be the old door. You can just keep the old one until it fails, specialized will always warranty it.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Anyone find with the new door the battery plug doesn't always engage perfectly. I'm sure mine is seated but on the rough stuff I've had the motor randomly switch off. It's happened a couple of times and only started with the install of the new door.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Anyone find with the new door the battery plug doesn't always engage perfectly. I'm sure mine is seated but on the rough stuff I've had the motor randomly switch off. It's happened a couple of times and only started with the install of the new door.
Yes, plugging the bike back in after charging is a challenge. Takes a two thumb wobbling push to get it just right so the bike turns on.

Never had the bike turn off and I ride soon serious chunk and smash into things 😉

RodneyH

May 28, 2023
Orange County
Dang, went on my 6th ride on my new Levo and i heard something really loud when going down a fairly rough rock garden. I got back to bottom and noticed some decent scratches on bottom of plastic battery guard. When I got home to plug in bike, I noticed that my door was totally gone. Not sure why I didn't notice it when done with ride, guess a rock hit it just right and broke it.

Jorva 1983

May 10, 2022
Belgium
are these still a warranty item In Europe? Mine gave up today. Lasted long time, but today i joined the broken door club😂😂

IMG_8226.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles