Levo Gen 3 Broken charging door

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If it's broken due to normal use they should replace it under warranty.

Reactions: Nel

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I broke mine after two rides. Very flimsy, not a good look for what is supposedly a hard hitting bike.

Reactions: Nel

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
Broke mine as well, easy to replace and relatively inexpensive, less then $20 to replace. Pro tip - do not pull all the screws out before attaching new door or you will be pulling the motor to re-attach cord on the back side.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi @Specialized Rider Care
There is clearly an issue here and it would be good if you could respond?
I hope you are working on a fix for this?
How did this ever get past your design team?
This particular component should never have been approved to go into production.
Now I physically have one in my possession I can see it is definitely on borrowed time.
Every single time you open up this door it will weaken the very thin material that is being used as a hinge.
The hinge design reminds me of the plastic ‘flip tops‘ you get on bottles of Shampoo or Ketchup .
I really can’t see this lasting very long at all.

Your engagement on this issue and response would be very much appreciated.

NZ_Levo

Aug 9, 2021
NZ
oh yeah....just received my replacement part, thanfully under warranty.

truly crap design. i've put black duct tape over the "hinge" as its probably stronger than the plastic.

betting this will be a recall/replacement.

come on Specialized, lets have your input on this.

Roger Skinner

Oct 15, 2020
Northampton
Hi
After 6+months waiting for my bike and now after only 3 weeks and 6 charges the door has fallen off and bike is back at shop waiting for new door 😡I have been in contact with rider care UK and a very helpful chap Toby Greenwood informed me that Specialized have redesigned this part for a more robust solution hopefully this is the case but jury’s out until I get bike back and see if it has been fixed.On a different point has anyone in the UK managed to get one of the specialized Kilian bike stand all the shops have them and you can buy them in USA but not in UK ?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I see following possibilities:
  • door latch gets loose, door opens in the middle of ride and you break it off with a pedal stroke
  • stone hitting door, thin plastic foldable hinge breaks easily
  • lubing the chain while charging the battery
  • hinge of the door is foldable thin plastic, it will break eventualy, only by using it

Poor design indeed.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I know @Specialized Rider Care have not responded on this forum regarding the battery charge door breaking........
However,
I contacted them directly on their website and this was their response.

The new doors are in production and should be available early next year. And like I said if you have any trouble with the door we can replace them under warranty.

Happy riding!

View attachment 76094

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Hi @Specialized Rider Care
There is clearly an issue here and it would be good if you could respond?
I hope you are working on a fix for this?
How did this ever get past your design team?
This particular component should never have been approved to go into production.
Now I physically have one in my possession I can see it is definitely on borrowed time.
Every single time you open up this door it will weaken the very thin material that is being used as a hinge.
The hinge design reminds me of the plastic ‘flip tops‘ you get on bottles of Shampoo or Ketchup .
I really can’t see this lasting very long at all.

Your engagement on this issue and response would be very much appreciated.
Ever hear of subtlety ? :LOL: :LOL:

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hello everyone, this afternoon, I took the bike to the shopkeeper where I bought it and I had the broken rock guard door replaced, it costs little, but I paid 10 euros, probably, in Italy, it is not considered under warranty

lenscape

Sep 11, 2020
Calgary
Here is the solution to protect the door.

levo.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Baffles me that Specilized just can’t seem to put out an EMTB that doesn’t have fundamental design flaws.

model after model has issues that surely should have been identified with with any sort of even half assed R&D.

great bikes and great support but yet again falling short on day to day living with the bikes.

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
Well, I just got back from a ride, and sure enough my door is missing too. It was a rocky trail, so I'm guessing it got hit and taken out.

Gibbo

Nov 3, 2019
Nailsworth
Is this still an issue? I take it specialized haven't yet introduced a revised retrofit door ? is that in the pipeline? just about to commit £5.2k to a '22 Levo- and this is giving me no confidence in this years offering.. is duct tape the only option? or are there some heath-robinson fixes?

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Is this still an issue? I take it specialized haven't yet introduced a revised retrofit door ? is that in the pipeline? just about to commit £5.2k to a '22 Levo- and this is giving me no confidence in this years offering.. is duct tape the only option? or are there some heath-robinson fixes?

A faulty door hinge design would be the least of my worries if I was buying a specilized levo, I'd be more worried about the brose motor lol

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
Mine broke after 2 weeks ownership. The door has no rubber seal anyway so it fails to keep out water, I have noticed. Compromised as it is, Its still a better solution than most others. Have a look at Santa cruz's efforts: my washing up bottle top has a longer life.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Interesting, spring loaded to the open position.

Trying to keep the door out of the way of the pedal and ripping the door off while charging.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I asked my LBS about getting one of the new charging doors for my Levo and the Canadian Spesh rep said they are in very short supply at the moment but would try to get one for a warranty repair job.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles