Bosch gen 2 mode profiles

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have a 2020 Whyte E180 RS with the gen2 Bosch CX Performance motor .......ie Purion controller. I also have a Whyte E160 RSX which is the same motor but with the Bosch Smart System.
I love both bikes! The E180 is especially capable when the ride involves steep descents and/or really rough terrain whereas the E160 RSX has a much broader range of use so gets used a lot more than the E180.
I can of course tune the riding modes on the E160 using the Flow App and I have found a setting for EMTB which essentially means it is virtually the only mode I use. The key difference I have made with the settings is to enable more power from the motor at much lower cadences with the result that the bike is far better when "trials" type riding is required to negotiate technical terrain.

So after all that background my question is how do I achieve something similar with my E180. As it stands I always have to be at a fairly high cadence to get reasonable motor assist. Again I mainly ride in EMTB and I could use turbo more, but turbo is too on/off and makes control more difficult.

I have considered:-
1. selling the E180 and buying a new E 180 with the Smart System but I like the E180 too much to sell it for what it might fetch on the current second hand market. The E180 RS is out of warranty of course but has only covered 950 miles and has ( in my opinion) all the best kit. Factory Fox 38, Factory Fox x2, DT Swiss Hybrid 1700/350 hub wheelset, X01/GX transmission.
2. I took a look at Nyon because it apparently has an option to set custom ride profiles.......but it is about £350 for a retrofit kit and fitting in place of Purion looks to be a motor drop job. Also not sure the custom profiles will help since they are based on speed rather than cadence or torque. There are also questions about Bosch is actually still supporting Nyon.
3. Longer term maybe but I was interested in a post on here some time a go by a guy whose Bosch motor has broken..out of warranty...so he considered buying a Smart System motor plus the Smart battery and controller, cables etc. Obviously an expensive option and only viable if the motor needs replacing anyway.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I have a 2020 Whyte E180 RS with the gen2 Bosch CX Performance motor .......ie Purion controller. I also have a Whyte E160 RSX which is the same motor but with the Bosch Smart System.
I love both bikes! The E180 is especially capable when the ride involves steep descents and/or really rough terrain whereas the E160 RSX has a much broader range of use so gets used a lot more than the E180.
I can of course tune the riding modes on the E160 using the Flow App and I have found a setting for EMTB which essentially means it is virtually the only mode I use. The key difference I have made with the settings is to enable more power from the motor at much lower cadences with the result that the bike is far better when "trials" type riding is required to negotiate technical terrain.

So after all that background my question is how do I achieve something similar with my E180. As it stands I always have to be at a fairly high cadence to get reasonable motor assist. Again I mainly ride in EMTB and I could use turbo more, but turbo is too on/off and makes control more difficult.

I have considered:-
1. selling the E180 and buying a new E 180 with the Smart System but I like the E180 too much to sell it for what it might fetch on the current second hand market. The E180 RS is out of warranty of course but has only covered 950 miles and has ( in my opinion) all the best kit. Factory Fox 38, Factory Fox x2, DT Swiss Hybrid 1700/350 hub wheelset, X01/GX transmission.
2. I took a look at Nyon because it apparently has an option to set custom ride profiles.......but it is about £350 for a retrofit kit and fitting in place of Purion looks to be a motor drop job. Also not sure the custom profiles will help since they are based on speed rather than cadence or torque. There are also questions about Bosch is actually still supporting Nyon.
3. Longer term maybe but I was interested in a post on here some time a go by a guy whose Bosch motor has broken..out of warranty...so he considered buying a Smart System motor plus the Smart battery and controller, cables etc. Obviously an expensive option and only viable if the motor needs replacing anyway.
Yes you can change the mode on the older nyon, I don't know what it changes thought?
I believe you can change the support the motor gives at different speeds.

There is a german shop that sells smart motors for 589 euro but A smart motor requires custom mounting plates as the motor is alot smaller then the older gen 2.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yes thanks for your reply. I made an enquiry with Bosch and they said the same thing. The Smart motor is smaller and may not fit a frame designed for the older gen2 motor....despite the motor being essentially the same.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I have a 2020 Whyte E180 RS with the gen2 Bosch CX Performance motor
Are you sure about the gen2 motor?

According to internet information the 2020 Whyte E180 RS came with the gen4 Bosch CX Performances motor. This can easily be seen, as the gen4 uses the regular large chainring whereas the gen2 had the unusual small chainring with 14-20 teeth.

I can of course tune the riding modes on the E160 using the Flow App and I have found a setting for EMTB which essentially means it is virtually the only mode I use. The key difference I have made with the settings is to enable more power from the motor at much lower cadences
how do I achieve something similar with my E180
Assuming you have the gen4 non-smart motor in your E180 you could do two things if you haven’t done so already:
  1. Again based on internet info the 2020 E180 was delivered with the early version of the gen4 which had only 75 Nm max torque. For model year 2021 Bosch updated max torque to 85 Nm and all motors from 2020 could be updated by any regular Bosch service dealer. If you haven’t done so get the 85 Nm update installed.
  2. Your bike came with short cranks (165 mm). To fully profit from the progressive EMTB mode you should have the correct EMTB mode for short cranks installed. This can also be done by any Bosch service dealer. Again make sure they use the 85 Nm version. With the mode for short cranks you will need to apply less force through your pedals to reach the higher support levels of EMTB mode. So it’s easier to have the motor support you with levels above 240% to the full TURBO 340%.
You cannot see whether you have the 85 Nm software or which version of the EMTB mode is installed on the motor with your Purion or any other Bosch display. You can only see that when the bike is connected to to a computer with Bosch diagnostics software.

Changing the Purion display to a Nyon2 does not help you with your use case. The available individual modes for Nyon let you not modify any of the factory modes, but give you four additional modes. These can be set up only with individual support percentages at user defined speeds between 0 and 25 kph. No progression and no cadence.

The key difference I have made with the settings is to enable more power from the motor at much lower cadences
What exactly have you set the four variables of your EMTB mode in the Flow app to? There is no variable that has an influence on cadence. You can modify the support percentage (Assistance) up or down, lower the max torque, lower the max speed or customize the motor response (Dynamic). Changes to assistance is applied to the full usable cadence range. For the Bosch CX that range starts at just above zero and reaches a peak at 80-85. Above that cadence the output power of the motor begins to drop and will eventually reach zero somewhere between 110 and 120.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
A VOLspeed V4 allows you to custom remap the modes as well as removing the maximum speed that assistance is provided
would do what you want?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are you sure about the gen2 motor?

According to internet information the 2020 Whyte E180 RS came with the gen4 Bosch CX Performances motor. This can easily be seen, as the gen4 uses the regular large chainring whereas the gen2 had the unusual small chainring with 14-20 teeth.

Assuming you have the gen4 non-smart motor in your E180 you could do two things if you haven’t done so already:
  1. Again based on internet info the 2020 E180 was delivered with the early version of the gen4 which had only 75 Nm max torque. For model year 2021 Bosch updated max torque to 85 Nm and all motors from 2020 could be updated by any regular Bosch service dealer. If you haven’t done so get the 85 Nm update installed.
  2. Your bike came with short cranks (165 mm). To fully profit from the progressive EMTB mode you should have the correct EMTB mode for short cranks installed. This can also be done by any Bosch service dealer. Again make sure they use the 85 Nm version. With the mode for short cranks you will need to apply less force through your pedals to reach the higher support levels of EMTB mode. So it’s easier to have the motor support you with levels above 240% to the full TURBO 340%.
You cannot see whether you have the 85 Nm software or which version of the EMTB mode is installed on the motor with your Purion or any other Bosch display. You can only see that when the bike is connected to to a computer with Bosch diagnostics software.

Changing the Purion display to a Nyon2 does not help you with your use case. The available individual modes for Nyon let you not modify any of the factory modes, but give you four additional modes. These can be set up only with individual support percentages at user defined speeds between 0 and 25 kph. No progression and no cadence.

What exactly have you set the four variables of your EMTB mode in the Flow app to? There is no variable that has an influence on cadence. You can modify the support percentage (Assistance) up or down, lower the max torque, lower the max speed or customize the motor response (Dynamic). Changes to assistance is applied to the full usable cadence range. For the Bosch CX that range starts at just above zero and reaches a peak at 80-85. Above that cadence the output power of the motor begins to drop and will eventually reach zero somewhere between 110 and 120.
thanks for your thoughts. A lot to answer there!!
1. By Gen2 I was referring to the Bosch System not the motor generation. Gen2 is the system before the Smart System was introduced.........sorry if that confused. So yes it is Bosch CX Gen4
2. The motor was orginally 75nm and I had the firmware updated to 85nm as soon as that was made available.
3. Modes are ECO, Tour+ EMTB and Turbo.
4. Re my Bosch Smart bike tune I set assistance to 3 and dynamic to 2...............I dont know exactly what either do to the ride mode mapping but I can tell you the motor deliver more power at lower cadences and that power is very controllable.

One point you make I need to check once a gain ( I did make enquiries previously).
I fitted Hope 155 cranks on the bike as have a lot of E180 owners. Apart from making it easier to a void pedal strikes I noticed no real difference in motor response except for the fact it is easier to accelerate the bike from complete or near standstill due to the smaller crank radius. There seems to be disagreement about whether the firmware needs to be changed for crank length with most saying that 155 falls within the existing setting on the bike.

thanks for your feedback.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
By Gen2 I was referring to the Bosch System not the motor generation.
That makes sense. Bosch calls the older system BES2 (Bosch Ebike System 2) and all new smart systems are called BES3. This is a new grouping above the motor generation which is still gen2, gen3 and gen4.
Modes are ECO, Tour+ EMTB and Turbo.
Bosch defines short cranks as 165mm or shorter and all longer ones as regular.
Depending on when you had Tour+ installed, this automatically and unfortunately led to EMTB for regular (long) cranks being installed, even when you had EMTB for short cranks before. The two distinct versions for short or long cranks are only available for the EMTB mode. All other modes do not distinguish between short and long. The reason Bosch needed to introduce a special EMTB mode for short cranks where complaints from many lighter/smaller riders not being able to push the progressive EMTB mode into the higher support ranges and therefore not benefiting from this mode at all.

With your 155mm cranks I highly recommend you make sure there is the EMTB mode for short cranks installed. Otherwise you miss most of the fun of that mode. With an update in 2023 for the smart system the restriction that Tour+ forced EMTB for long cranks no longer exists. I don’t know whether this is also true for the old system but I don’t think so. So you might need to decide to either have EMTB for short cranks and Tour (no +) or have Tour+ and EMTB for long cranks. EMTB for short cranks will lower the power you need to apply to reach the higher support levels. This will make it feel more like what you have on your second bike.
my Bosch Smart bike tune I set assistance to 3 and dynamic to 2
Setting assistance to 3 will raise the support level of that mode by 30% of the original (factory) value but no higher than the max value of 340%. It‘s easy to see how this works for the standard non-progressive modes. For Eco with a factory support of 60%, setting assistance to 3 will give you 60 plus 30% of 60 which makes the new support value 78%. The progressive modes (EMTB or Tour+) have a support range. For EMTB that is 140% to 340% depending on rider input power. Setting assistance to 3 for that mode will result in the new range from 182% to 340%. So you immediately start with significant higher support from the motor.

Changing the dynamic setting shortens or lengthens the time until the motor reacts to turning the cranks. We are talking about milliseconds. No power change, only how lively the motor feels.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That makes sense. Bosch calls the older system BES2 (Bosch Ebike System 2) and all new smart systems are called BES3. This is a new grouping above the motor generation which is still gen2, gen3 and gen4.

Bosch defines short cranks as 165mm or shorter and all longer ones as regular.
Depending on when you had Tour+ installed, this automatically and unfortunately led to EMTB for regular (long) cranks being installed, even when you had EMTB for short cranks before. The two distinct versions for short or long cranks are only available for the EMTB mode. All other modes do not distinguish between short and long. The reason Bosch needed to introduce a special EMTB mode for short cranks where complaints from many lighter/smaller riders not being able to push the progressive EMTB mode into the higher support ranges and therefore not benefiting from this mode at all.

With your 155mm cranks I highly recommend you make sure there is the EMTB mode for short cranks installed. Otherwise you miss most of the fun of that mode. With an update in 2023 for the smart system the restriction that Tour+ forced EMTB for long cranks no longer exists. I don’t know whether this is also true for the old system but I don’t think so. So you might need to decide to either have EMTB for short cranks and Tour (no +) or have Tour+ and EMTB for long cranks. EMTB for short cranks will lower the power you need to apply to reach the higher support levels. This will make it feel more like what you have on your second bike.

Setting assistance to 3 will raise the support level of that mode by 30% of the original (factory) value but no higher than the max value of 340%. It‘s easy to see how this works for the standard non-progressive modes. For Eco with a factory support of 60%, setting assistance to 3 will give you 60 plus 30% of 60 which makes the new support value 78%. The progressive modes (EMTB or Tour+) have a support range. For EMTB that is 140% to 340% depending on rider input power. Setting assistance to 3 for that mode will result in the new range from 182% to 340%. So you immediately start with significant higher support from the motor.

Changing the dynamic setting shortens or lengthens the time until the motor reacts to turning the cranks. We are talking about milliseconds. No power change, only how lively the motor feels.
very informative thanks. I think based on your info, it will be worth me getting the firmware checked and modified as required. I'm not worried a bout the Tour mode because this bike is only used as a gravity machine so it is not a mode I ever use!

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
I am interested in this thread for similar reasons. Bought a new 22 Rail 5 625w in Feb 23. It has Purion display which I am actually happy with so don't really need to change it. Is there a way ( even at LBS ) to adjust the profile in trail mode to get slightly more assist at lowere cadence? I don't really want or need all the additional features. I'm also not sure what gen the motor is.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I am interested in this thread for similar reasons. Bought a new 22 Rail 5 625w in Feb 23. It has Purion display which I am actually happy with so don't really need to change it. Is there a way ( even at LBS ) to adjust the profile in trail mode to get slightly more assist at lowere cadence? I don't really want or need all the additional features. I'm also not sure what gen the motor is.
As above thread your bike will be a BES2 gen 4 motor
You can take it to a LBS and have them do.what ever you want

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
there a way ( even at LBS ) to adjust the profile in trail mode to get slightly more assist at lowere cadence?
First, there is no trail mode on Bosch motors, so which mode are you unhappy with?
Second, the factory modes (Eco, Tour or Tour+, Sport or EMTB, Turbo) cannot be customized. Neither by the user nor by the LBS.
There are only two modifications a LBS can make using the Bosch diagnostic software. From the total of seven different modes available you can have four of those installed. Eco (60% support) and Turbo (340% support) are fixed. You can have standard Tour (140% support) exchanged for Tour+ (progressive from 60% to 340% support, requiring high rider input to reach the higher support levels). You can have standard Sport (240% support) exchanged for EMTB (progressive from 140% to 340% support, requiring moderate rider input to reach the higher support levels). As explained above there are two different EMTB variants (one for short cranks and one for standard cranks). The one for short cranks needs less rider input than the one for standard cranks.

The two lower modes Eco and Tour are torque limited. Only Sport, the two progressive modes Tour+ and EMTB and Turbo utilize the full 85 Nm torque.

Bosch introduced full customization capabilities with the smart system motor, which you don’t have.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was advised by Bosch that the only way to create "custom" modes for my/your generation Bosch system is by using the Nyon display and then paying for some addition to the Bosch E connect App. That enables 4 custom modes to be created and each can be created with different levels of motor support at 4 different bike speeds between 0 kph and 25kph.
I had a look at that. Firstly it is quite expensive to buy Nyon especially if you do not already have a Kiox display ( because a new cable needs to be run from the motor to the Nyon whereas if you have Kiox that is not needed). Secondly, like you I want a stronger motor support at a lower cadence but the Custom modes in Nyon are set according to bike speed not cadence or torque. As such I think it is aimed more at the city bike/commuter rider than MTB.
Since I fitted 155mm Hope cranks on my bike I will be taking @Shark58 advice and getting my firmware checked for short crank setting in EMTB.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
So if I am understanding right. Doesn't make any difference if you have a purion display or upgrade, it's not possible ( even at LBS) to make adjustments to assistance level for Lower cadence in tour ( I called it trail) mode?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I don't know what bike you have but apart from the short crank issue part of the problem with my bike is that it is a 180mm enduro bike with super plush suspension and heavy casing draggy tyres. All of which makes it an incredible gravity focused bike but less responsive on the flat. My wife's bike with the same motor is still at 75nm but is a hardtail with faster running tyres running higher pressured, is a 29er whilst mine is 27.5, and is a rocket ship by comparison! So you may have the opportunity to reduce drag on your bike

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I don't know what bike you have but apart from the short crank issue part of the problem with my bike is that it is a 180mm enduro bike with super plush suspension and heavy casing draggy tyres. All of which makes it an incredible gravity focused bike but less responsive on the flat. My wife's bike with the same motor is still at 75nm but is a hardtail with faster running tyres running higher pressured, is a 29er whilst mine is 27.5, and is a rocket ship by comparison! So you may have the opportunity to reduce drag on your bike
I don't know about you but I like the closer stance on my bike with the 150mm pedals my legs feel OK with the shorter cranks now I've got used to it now

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
So if I am understanding right. Doesn't make any difference if you have a purion display or upgrade, it's not possible ( even at LBS) to make adjustments to assistance level for Lower cadence in tour ( I called it trail) mode?
Yes, that’s correct.

I checked the published configuration of the 2022 Trek Rail 5 and it comes with 165 mm cranks.
Therefore I would again recommend to have your LBS install the eMTB mode for short cranks. With that version you will need less power to reach higher motor support levels (in that mode only, all others are nor affected).

BTW, Bosch introduced the progressive eMTB mode as direct answer to Shimano‘s Trail mode. The Tour mode is, as the name suggests, targeted towards touring and not primarily for trail use.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
Yes, that’s correct.

I checked the published configuration of the 2022 Trek Rail 5 and it comes with 165 mm cranks.
Therefore I would again recommend to have your LBS install the eMTB mode for short cranks. With that version you will need less power to reach higher motor support levels (in that mode only, all others are nor affected).

BTW, Bosch introduced the progressive eMTB mode as direct answer to Shimano‘s Trail mode. The Tour mode is, as the name suggests, targeted towards touring and not primarily for trail use.
Thank you. That makes sense but ironically, it's on trails where I tend to use Tour mode almost all the time as I have found eMTB mode provides much more punch than I need/want. It's in the relaxed 60-70 cadence range where I find it not quite enough to maintain the speed but as soon as i give a little more push I'm then accelerating again, makes holding a consistent pace less easy.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
it's on trails where I tend to use Tour mode almost all the time as I have found eMTB mode provides much more punch than I need/want.
Do you have Tour or Tour+ installed? You can’t see that on the Purion display because it’s not capable of displaying Tour+. You need your LBS to check it with diagnostics.
With Bosch motors the main factor they react to is input power, not cadence. The motor will add a percentage of your power and that percentage is called the support factor.

For regular Tour the support factor is a straight line of 140% of your input power.
For the progressive Tour+ the support factor starts at 60% at low input power and goes all the way up to 340% at very high input power.

Your description sounds like Tour+. Try regular Tour and see what you think. Make sure the LBS doesn’t charge you twice in case you want to go back to Tour+.

The Bosch motors deliver peak power at 80 rpm, below that you don’t get everything the motor has, above 85 rpm power from the motor degrades.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
Do you have Tour or Tour+ installed? You can’t see that on the Purion display because it’s not capable of displaying Tour+. You need your LBS to check it with diagnostics.
With Bosch motors the main factor they react to is input power, not cadence. The motor will add a percentage of your power and that percentage is called the support factor.

For regular Tour the support factor is a straight line of 140% of your input power.
For the progressive Tour+ the support factor starts at 60% at low input power and goes all the way up to 340% at very high input power.

Your description sounds like Tour+. Try regular Tour and see what you think. Make sure the LBS doesn’t charge you twice in case you want to go back to Tour+.

The Bosch motors deliver peak power at 80 rpm, below that you don’t get everything the motor has, above 85 rpm power from the motor degrades.
Thank you. That's been very informative and suspect a trip to LBS may need to be organised

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Thank you. That's been very informative and suspect a trip to LBS may need to be organised
Matter of interest look at the price there selling this

Screenshot_20240122_183416_Chrome.jpg

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
Matter of interest look at the price there selling this

View attachment 132992
I get the point that it may be similar cost wise as asking LBS to hook up to their PC and would give me ability with connect to download updates. But I had seen somewhere that the motor still.needs to be taken to LBS to get it to recognise a different display. Or is it a straight swap at home?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think if you already have Kiox ( the original Kiox) the job is at least simpler. If you currently have no display then a cable has to be run from the motor to the Nyon and ( I believe) that is a motor out job. Dont know whether the system would auto recognise the new controller or whether it would need a LBS to do that.
The ridiculously low price you posted a bove also raises some alarm bells for me! Either it is something that simply does not sell or something I think I read on here is true.....that Nyon has had no updates etc by Bosch for well over a year suggesting it may no longer be supported...who knows!!

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Or is it a straight swap at home?
The Nyon from above is the display only. No mount, no cable and no controller. It could be useful for someone who lost his display but not for an upgrade from a different display..

@Mikerb is right. You would need to swap the existing display cable. I have never worked on a Trek Rail and don’t know how much space there is between the electric connectors on the motor and the way up into the downtube. In many modern bikes there is enough room to route the cable without dropping the motor. You need to check.

Everything else is very simple and you don’t need to go to the LBS. The motor will recognize the Nyon on its own. The Nyon 2 was last updated early August 23. It is still supported and I expect the next yearly update in July/August. I myself have a Nyon 2 on my Simplon, but for the individual ride modes a Nyon would make available I wouldn’t buy one. Those are very simple and in my opinion no benefit for trail riding. They are a commuter thing.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
The Nyon from above is the display only. No mount, no cable and no controller. It could be useful for someone who lost his display but not for an upgrade from a different display..

@Mikerb is right. You would need to swap the existing display cable. I have never worked on a Trek Rail and don’t know how much space there is between the electric connectors on the motor and the way up into the downtube. In many modern bikes there is enough room to route the cable without dropping the motor. You need to check.

Everything else is very simple and you don’t need to go to the LBS. The motor will recognize the Nyon on its own. The Nyon 2 was last updated early August 23. It is still supported and I expect the next yearly update in July/August. I myself have a Nyon 2 on my Simplon, but for the individual ride modes a Nyon would make available I wouldn’t buy one. Those are very simple and in my opinion no benefit for trail riding. They are a commuter thing.
Thank you (and to all who have provided feeback).- some very interesting points. I don't think I would personally have a problem feeding new cable and connecting up as I am handy with the spanners and usually do all my own maintenance, so that by iteself does not present a problem.
I appreciate the points you make regarding it being an incomlpete retrofit kit (which I suspected to be the case) but importantly from what you sqaid, would not be usuful to me if I cannot adjust/change or update the modes.
I only use the Purion display (not a purion 200) to see assist levels and battery power/range. I'm not even bothered about the speed readout as it never bothers me not having it on my analogue mtb, I ride at a speed that feels right for me. Simple & minimal is all I require. Anything else data wise is collected from either my watch or smartphone.

I would again like to say thank you to those with more knowledge than me and taken time to post. I am begining to think there may not be a solution with the Bosch system for what I was after. But if you never ask, you never know and these honest answers do not come up in the searches that I have done. I do love the bike though and don't regret buying it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I took my e180rs to a lbs to check the long/short crank setting. Turns out it was already on short crank setting which is 165mm and shorter.......original cranks on the e180rs were 165!!
There were however 4 motor and 2 battery updates to be done so at least the bike is up to date now and it only took 10 minutes and cost £20.
According to the guy that did the update you cannot have tour+ if EMTB is set for short cranks.
It will be interesting to see if the 6 updates made any difference to the bike next time I ride it.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
@Mikerb
Thanks for your feedback.
According to the guy that did the update you cannot have tour+ if EMTB is set for short cranks.
As I expected. The latest motor update is V 1.1.5.0 and my bike was delivered with that version in May 2021.
It will be interesting to see if the 6 updates made any difference to the bike next time I ride it.
With V 1.1.5.0 there came a number of enhancements. I hope you can benefit from the difference.

From the Bosch website:
“Since model year 2021 with torque of up to 85 Nm, new motor control features and an enhanced eMTB mode – all as a software update… the enhanced eMTB mode ensures better control on the trail, without having to switch riding modes. New sensor and motor control functions now provide a wider range of support even more dynamically and naturally. Start-up behavior is even smoother and more sensitive, particularly in low gears… With Extended Boost, roots, steps and stones can be rolled over smoothly on the trail, even uphill. The eMTB can thus be moved easily and agilely through technical sections.“ Source: 85 Nm update

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles