Bosch Smart System: auto mode.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Another new feature: Auto mode – not just for eCargo bikes, but for all eBikes with the smart system. In this riding mode, the support provided by the drive is automatically adapted to the environmental conditions, for example if there are headwinds or on uphill gradients, without eBikers having to exert more effort or switch riding modes.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had not heard of it either until I saw a video by "The Loam Wolf" with a guy from Bosch explaining the Auto mode. It is a mode option that can only be selected using the Bosch Diagnostic software...so by a Bosch dealer/LBS. His explanation was that it covers the complete range of power delivery from Eco to Turbo and instead of using crank torque/cadence as the primary decider on how much power it delivers at any time, its primary aim is to sustain whatever speed the bike is being propelled at! Sounds a bit weird to me but I am curious if anyone has tried it. I assume the total number of modes is still 4 but dont know what mode it replaces.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
That does sound weird, I had my Whyte plugged in yesterday and they never said anything or I would have tried it😀

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I had not heard of it either until I saw a video by "The Loam Wolf" with a guy from Bosch explaining the Auto mode. It is a mode option that can only be selected using the Bosch Diagnostic software...so by a Bosch dealer/LBS. His explanation was that it covers the complete range of power delivery from Eco to Turbo and instead of using crank torque/cadence as the primary decider on how much power it delivers at any time, its primary aim is to sustain whatever speed the bike is being propelled at! Sounds a bit weird to me but I am curious if anyone has tried it. I assume the total number of modes is still 4 but dont know what mode it replaces.
At a guess what it does is something like continuously recording load with a model which most heavily weights the latest readings then as load increases dynamically increase assistance instead of the rider having to switch to a higher level of assistance. IYSWIM.

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
Hi, I tried it, it is like turbo going uphill, so a lot of support, and it gets "normal" on straight roads, but too much for me. So i only use Auto when going on steep hills, and use tour or tour+ for other situations.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi, I tried it, it is like turbo going uphill, so a lot of support, and it gets "normal" on straight roads, but too much for me. So i only use Auto when going on steep hills, and use tour or tour+ for other situations.
so what mode did it replace??

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes I know that so which mode did you forego to enable auto to be added? I would deselect ECO

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
You can only get AUTO via update in dealer-shop. They use special Bosch software to allow you to select the different modes.

For me, I decided to not use "Turbo" anymore as AUTO is strong enough. I now have:
ECO
TOUR
TOUR+
AUTO

I mainly use the bike for trekking, so want to get long mileages on the battery, hence trying out the ECO, TOUR or TOUR+ Modes to find out what works for me. I only use AUTO if there is an extreme steep hill, but normally TOUR+ is good enough for steep hills.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
You can only get AUTO via update in dealer-shop. They use special Bosch software to allow you to select the different modes.

For me, I decided to not use "Turbo" anymore as AUTO is strong enough. I now have:
ECO
TOUR
TOUR+
AUTO

I mainly use the bike for trekking, so want to get long mileages on the battery, hence trying out the ECO, TOUR or TOUR+ Modes to find out what works for me. I only use AUTO if there is an extreme steep hill, but normally TOUR+ is good enough for steep hills.
wow fail Bosch !
release a new smart system, hype up that software is over the air. then release a feature that you have to go back to the dealer to update ????
Just drove 2 hours to pickup the bike expecting that an over the air update would give e me Auto mode. Now have to do another 2 hours driving to go back to dealer

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
Yeah, Bosch is very much protecting their proprietary software. I also find it strange that we cannot select the desired modes ourselves via the Flow App. Luckiky i live 5min bike ride from dealer. But even dealers need some help, so i helped them to find the configuration screen to select the modes. It takes only 2min to update, but what a hassle to get it done. Smart does not always mean convenient, it seems.

Aug 17, 2022
Dijon

ECO
TOUR
TOUR+
AUTO

Super!
Das interessiert mich sehr. Können Sie mir ein Foto des Bildschirms mit diesen verschiedenen Modi machen.
Mein Händler ist skeptisch!

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
Interesting dealer :)
See attached!
Super!
Das interessiert mich sehr. Können Sie mir ein Foto des Bildschirms mit diesen verschiedenen Modi machen.
Mein Händler ist skeptisch!

20221103_211933.jpg

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
Ich habe eine weitere Frage.
Gibt es eine bestimmte Reihenfolge, die man bei der Auswahl der Modi einhalten muss?
z. B. Tour+, Tour, eMTB, Auto.
Es geht mir vor allem darum zu wissen, wie sich die Farbdarstellung der Led verhält.
Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe.
Oh sorry, I cannot recall completely. We selected the Modes at the dealer shop (in Bosch dealer software called "Bosch Diagnostic Tool 3", they need to go to section "configuration" in the software), then, after upload, the Modes appeared in Kiox 300 automatically in a logic way (from ECO, TOUR till stronger modes). It seems the software creates a logic list of the Modes.

Aug 17, 2022
Dijon
Oh sorry, I cannot recall completely. We selected the Modes at the dealer shop (in Bosch dealer software called "Bosch Diagnostic Tool 3", they need to go to section "configuration" in the software), then, after upload, the Modes appeared in Kiox 300 automatically in a logic way (from ECO, TOUR till stronger modes). It seems the software creates a logic list of the Modes.
Danke, es war nett, dass Sie so schnell geantwortet haben. Ich werde das mit meinem Händler klären.
Viel Spaß beim Fahren mit Ihrem ebike.

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
Can anyone tell me if my bike is not upgradeable to the "Auto" mode? My local dealer is telling me that I don't have a Smart system, and therefore can't get the Kiox updated. If this is the case, is it possible to upgrade the hardware I have to get that update?

Thanks.

Bike is a 2022 Mondraker Crafty SE Mondraker Crafty SE

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022
Dijon
Can anyone tell me if my bike is not upgradeable to the "Auto" mode? My local dealer is telling me that I don't have a Smart system, and therefore can't get the Kiox updated. If this is the case, is it possible to upgrade the hardware I have to get that update?

Thanks.

Bike is a 2022 Mondraker Crafty SE Mondraker Crafty SE
Bikes that do not have the smart system cannot benefit from the auto mode.
Your bike, although recent, is of an older generation.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
I did not use Turbo and also replaced it by Auto when having the bike at the dealer. You have to decide which mode you drop for getting Auto or vice versa. Seems it exchanges the mode with the position of the mode that is removed. I now have Auto in top position.
I go a lot in Eco and Tour+. In my opinion Auto is nice and gives more/better support, sometimes a little to much as reaching quickly the limiter.

Signman1987

Feb 21, 2023
Middlesbrough
Anyone using the auto mode?
Just had this installed on my Scott Patron last weekend in place of EMTB. Not ridden yet but will report back when I have.For what its worth after 4 e-bikes I think that Tour+ is a complete waste of time. Its battery saving is negligible and if riding with friends on the flat it is impossible to keep up without moving up to EMTB which somehow defeats the object! Had my dealer switch it back to just Tour and much better. looking forward to the Auto mode this weekend.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am quite happy with EMTB and apart from short bursts of Turbo that is the only mode I use.
I have just run the Flow App and updated the LED Remote and Motor to 5.(whatever) . That took 2 attempts for some reason but I powered down my phone and rebooted, deleted the flow app and Flow pairing..........so started from scratch and everything seemed to work properly then.............it looked like Flow froze on the first attempt and I could not get rid of it other than deleting the app and reloading it. ANYWAY............I now have the a bility to tune all of the modes so just as an experiment I decided to turn them all up to 5 to see what difference that makes:ROFLMAO:. It says it will use more battery but I never get below 30% as it is so who cares!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles