Bosch Flow App - News & Updates

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
I'm presuming that as my Cube 160 Stereo has 165 cranks, Cube installed the short crank option. Therefore, if that's correct, my decision to stick with the e-mtb version my upgraded app had already defaulted to was the correct decision? Maybe?

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
The new version didn't exist before the update.
Of course it did.

You could have gone to the next LBS and have him activate eMTB short crank at any time. I had it activated on my CX at the beginning of 2018.
Also, some bikes are delivered with short crank mode from the factory.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'm presuming that as my Cube 160 Stereo has 165 cranks, Cube installed the short crank option. Therefore, if that's correct, my decision to stick with the e-mtb version my upgraded app had already defaulted to was the correct decision? Maybe?
I have a 2020 Whyte E180RS. Original cranks were Race Face Affect 165mm. The bike was never updated in terms of firmware until a month ago because I decided to check the short cranks issue having changed the cranks to 155mm Hope last year. The LBS who plugged it in said there were a number of battery and motor updates outstanding but that the firmware was already set to short crank for the EMTB mode.
I assume any new bike is set up by the LBS in terms of plugging into the Bosch diagnostics software so that all the correct or desired riding modes are selected etc, so there is the chance that was not done on some bikes.
All water under the bridge now of course with all of that set up possible using the Flow app.............or it would be if Bosch had not messed up by failing to differentiate the 2 EMTB modes ( standard or short crank). For those totally confused I would suggest asking their LBS to check using the Bosch Diagnostic connection rather than using the Flow App............most will do it for free or at worst a bout £20.

ps I dont trust blutooth for file transfer so if the bike works I leave it alone. On my Bosch Smart System bike I used Flow once on its first day to set up ride mode settings, and no connection since...........if I desperately want some new function delivered via Flow that involves a firmware update, I would ask the LBS to do it!

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Di
Of course it did.

You could have gone to the next LBS and have him activate eMTB short crank at any time. I had it activated on my CX at the beginning of 2018.
Also, some bikes are delivered with short crank mode from the factory.
Did it exist in the Flow app?

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Di

Did it exist in the Flow app?
Before the recent app update you couldn’t see which version of the eMTB mode was installed. The app only showed eMTB. As long as you didn’t see a dealer and had him check in the Bosch diagnostics software you stayed in the dark.

Now, after the app update on iOS you know, on Android you will have to wait until the bug is fixed.

Aug 17, 2022
Dijon
Ebike Flow pour Bosch Smart System😉
Nouvelle version 1.19.2 pour Android (13/03/24) et IOS (18/03/24) avec corrections de bugs et ajout de nouvelles fonctions (livret d'entretien numérique).
Le bug sur Android avec l'absence d'informations sur les manivelles courtes devrait être corrigé !

Last edited:

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
On Sunday I rode 35miles, taking a break half way through. I checked the ride was recording when I left home.

When I got half way, I was at a cafe so I removed the controller from the handlebars. The app was now paused but only showed a distance of 125ft, instead of 17miles!

I put the controller back on, turned the bike on and it showed 17miles.

I got home and the ride was a direct line for 17miles up and the actual route on the way home. It binned the first half of the ride data - I certainly didn’t ride in such a straight line.

IMG_4581.jpeg

Mockcyto

Mar 7, 2024
Arizona, USA
Ebike Flow pour Bosch Smart System😉
Nouvelle version 1.19.2 pour Android (13/03/24) et IOS (18/03/24) avec corrections de bugs et ajout de nouvelles fonctions (livret d'entretien numérique).
Le bug sur Android avec l'absence d'informations sur les manivelles courtes devrait être corrigé !
Yeah and the new version of the app still doesn't let the end user add "AUTO" to the Pivot Shuttle AM .. why must I have to go to the dealer to have it added??? when the whole purpose of the prior 1.18 was to allow the user to add modes and you left that one out?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Yeah and the new version of the app still doesn't let the end user add "AUTO" to the Pivot Shuttle AM .. why must I have to go to the dealer to have it added??? when the whole purpose of the prior 1.18 was to allow the user to add modes and you left that one out?
I wouldnt bother unless you use your bike for pathway commuting, for off road it eats battery and is very powerful, maybe too much so. It tries to keep you at a constant speed.

Aug 17, 2022
Dijon
Ouais et la nouvelle version de l'application ne permet toujours pas à l'utilisateur final d'ajouter "AUTO" au Pivot Shuttle AM .. pourquoi dois-je aller chez le revendeur pour le faire ajouter ??? alors que le but de la version 1.18 précédente était de permettre à l'utilisateur d'ajouter des modes et que vous l'avez laissé de côté ?
Très simple !
Les vélos en smart system qui sont sortis avant l'apparition du mode "Auto" (en général, tous les modèles 2022), ne peuvent pas avoir ce mode "en veille" dans le moteur. Il faut donc passer chez le revendeur, pour qu'il soit ajouté.
Ensuite, l'utilisateur peut activer ce mode avec son appli.

Mockcyto

Mar 7, 2024
Arizona, USA
Très simple !
Les vélos en smart system qui sont sortis avant l'apparition du mode "Auto" (en général, tous les modèles 2022), ne peuvent pas avoir ce mode "en veille" dans le moteur. Il faut donc passer chez le revendeur, pour qu'il soit ajouté.
Ensuite, l'utilisateur peut activer ce mode avec son appli.
My pivot shuttle AM is a 2024 model so it shouldn't have required the dealer to add the option of Auto. What's weird is I have two eMTB options (added in the 1.18 version app) to choose from but can't tell which one is the short crank version because they use the same name. So the Bosch software is really not vetted very well.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My pivot shuttle AM is a 2024 model so it shouldn't have required the dealer to add the option of Auto. What's weird is I have two eMTB options (added in the 1.18 version app) to choose from but can't tell which one is the short crank version because they use the same name. So the Bosch software is really not vetted very well.

Odd... we have the same bike and same software, yet I could add Auto. The EMTB observation I find valid, however. The top one is for short cranks. If you have any questions, why not just give Pivot a call. I've never had to go through a phone tree, and their lady who answers has always been cheerful and helpful.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I wouldnt bother unless you use your bike for pathway commuting, for off road it eats battery and is very powerful, maybe too much so. It tries to keep you at a constant speed.
Just turn it down a bit in the app, I personally think it's great for off reading! I normally am switching between tour+/emtb/turbo, now I can just leave it on auto

Aug 17, 2022
Dijon
Ma navette pivotante AM est un modèle 2024, elle n'aurait donc pas dû obliger le concessionnaire à ajouter l'option Auto. Ce qui est bizarre, c'est que j'ai le choix entre deux options eMTB (ajoutées dans l'application de la version 1.18), mais je ne peux pas dire laquelle est la version à manivelle courte car elles utilisent le même nom. Le logiciel Bosch n’est donc vraiment pas très bien vérifié.
Pour comprendre la différence entre manivelles courtes et manivelles longues, il faut lire le post #188

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Odd... we have the same bike and same software, yet I could add Auto. The EMTB observation I find valid, however. The top one is for short cranks. If you have any questions, why not just give Pivot a call. I've never had to go through a phone tree, and their lady who answers has always been cheerful and helpful.
Where did you get the information that the top emtb mode in the list is the short crank option?
I only ask as my bike comes stock with 165mm cranks, and my bike is set to the second emtb down in the list.
As an experiment I loaded both emtb modes onto my bike so I could toggle between them.
Can't say I could tell any meaningful difference between the pair?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Where did you get the information that the top emtb mode in the list is the short crank option?

First hand experience.
When I got the bike, we plugged it in to the shop's computer and set it up for Short Crank EMTB. The mode was labeled as such. After upgrading the Flow App, the label on that mode was truncated, but it was still the first one that was enabled.

I never tried running the Long Crank mode, so I can't comment upon the difference. On one ride, however, I installed Short Crank EMTB and Auto. On that particular ride, I couldn't tell the difference, so I deleted Auto because Bosch says that Short Crank EMTB is best suited for the type of riding I do.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I only ask as my bike comes stock with 165mm cranks, and my bike is set to the second emtb down in the list.
The listed order is random or more likely depends on which mode was installed first.
The missing ‚short crank‘ label is a known bug in the updated Flow App. Bosch is working on a fix.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
The listed order is random or more likely depends on which mode was installed first.
The missing ‚short crank‘ label is a known bug in the updated Flow App. Bosch is working on a fix.
🤣 working on a fix!
Can't be beyond the wit of man to add "short cranks", to a line of text.
Bosch are getting renowned now.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Can't be beyond the wit of man to add "short cranks", to a line of text.
You make it sound easy and I agree. But maybe the bug is a problem for the Flow App to identify the version of the eMTB mode correctly as ‚regular‘ or ‚short crank‘.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I find it hard to believe that so many are getting their knickers in a twist over the omission of a couple words. Go ride the bloody bike and choose whichever you mode you like. It takes longer to whinge about it than it does to try it. This ain't rocket science.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I find it hard to believe you've taken to the time to post something which is of no use to anyone 😕

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I switched to the "other" emtb mode, same settings as I had on the existing emtb mode. I didn't notice the difference. I also dropped tour + and added sport mode.
I set it to +3/+3 and on a 20km ride without any serious climbs , it was perfect ! I think it will be my go to from now on. A little more perky than tour+ but still quite subtle assistance.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I set it to +3/+3 and on a 20km ride without any serious climbs , it was perfect ! I think it will be my go to from now on. A little more perky than tour+ but still quite subtle assistance.
Which mode are you referring to - SPORT? Setting that to +3/+3 would give you nearly TURBO. Definitely more than ‚quite subtle assistance‘.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I switched to the "other" emtb mode, same settings as I had on the existing emtb mode. I didn't notice the difference. I also dropped tour + and added sport mode.

I've also tweaked my modes a little, @Spin. Turbo got bumped up a bit, as did Eco Mode. I found the factory Eco setting to be truly laborious, and by juicing it up a little, it's still rideable while affording me extended range if I ever need it.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
It definitely does have an effect
When the Flow App was introduced I sent an email to Bosch asking how the + values for support worked. Bosch comfirmed in writing that one cannot raise the support level above the technical max of 340% (for a regular CX motor). You can now find that information somewhere in the help FAQs on their website.

It might be possible that a + value for the dynamic parameter has an effect if TURBO isn’t at maximum with factory setting. I didn’t ask for that information.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles