Bosch CX Gen 4 shutting down while fast ride

mwagE

Feb 7, 2022
Texas
Hoping to get help figuring out issue - ive looked everywhere and don't see anyone reporting the same issue -
I have a 2021 Orbea Wild with CX line Gen 4
here are some details for trouble shooting help -

originally I thought this was happening from a bad battery so I bought a new battery and it still happens
then I thought it was because of a fail safe in the system because it only happens when shredding super hard in Turbo mode - so I put it in EMTB mode and it still happens

what happens is the system will just totally shut off I mean totally off - blank screen , no power - have to hit the power button and restart the system all over again -

this happened on my very first ride so I thought a branch hit my power button -

all I've been able to see on the web is that some folks report a bad connection and or going up hill...

as I have thought through this very toughly, I don't think I can rule out a connection issue because when I'm on my way home from the trails I will put it in turbo mode on the street and have never had it shut down. (full gas)
The shut down seems to happen on the same section of trail segments for the most part and not to put things in anyone's head it seems to happen during sharp high speed right turns... (but another section that it shuts down is a straight away) (both during only full gas)

So, if it is a connection issue - where is the problem and what is the best practice fix?

appreciate any help

mwagE

Feb 7, 2022
Texas
whats the firmware versions of motor & battery?
I do not know - from what ive read the latest update for the cx gen 4 brought the emtb mode and since my bike is a 21 model i assumed its got the latest update - what would that have to do with it? I was thinking thinking I needed an update but when it dawned on me that ive never had an issue going home in turbo full gas for 3 miles, I had ruled that out. Is that wrong thinking on my part?

daytrader

May 30, 2021
Tirol

1. With the system switched off, simultaneously press the "-" and "+" buttons and hold them briefly.

2. In addition, briefly press the "On/Off" button.

3. The current software versions are displayed as running text.

Displ.: software version of the display

DU: software version of the drive unit

Bat.: software version of the rechargeable battery

1.Bat. /2.Bat.: software versions if two rechargeable batteries are used

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I get the occasional shutdown too but usually in the same bumpy stretch of gravel road. (Gen cx 625w Bosch Trek Rail). A number on here have a similar issue. I usually power through it until it comes back on. I/we suspect a poor connection at the battery. Some battery rattling doesn’t help either. It’s a mystery.
I swear there’s a old Flux Capacitor buried in the fire-road at this spot. 😳

mwagE

Feb 7, 2022
Texas
I get the occasional shutdown too but usually in the same bumpy stretch of gravel road. (Gen cx 625w Bosch Trek Rail). A number on here have a similar issue. I usually power through it until it comes back on. I/we suspect a poor connection at the battery. Some battery rattling doesn’t help either. It’s a mystery.
Flux Capacitor! I had a nightmare about that thing! ugh! I'm going to see if I can make it happen deliberately and pay very close attention to conditions -
Thanks for not asking me a multiplied of question (thats why i tried to give much detail in original thread- I know how to find out firmware! didnt ask for that) and just giving me your knowledge, know others have the same issue - helps a lot

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Here's a longshot

- have you tried replacing the battery in the purion controller?

I can't think of a logical reason why the battery in the controller would cause the problem to happen in the way you describe,but it's a cheap and easy thing to try,and then at least it's ruled out.

Last edited:

daytrader

May 30, 2021
Tirol
i was asking for the firmware versions, because on my gen2 there were a similiar behavior . . .
after updating battery firmware the problem was solved . .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree with the post a bove suggesting it is a battery connection issue. The system only has to lose connection to the battery for a split second for the bike to completely shut down. I do not know the battery fitting arrangement on the Wild but I assume it is like most and essentially sits on the connector block before being secured with some form of latch at the top. The battery weight 2.5/3kg so any movement once in place will likely result in a poor or intermittent connection. So check how well the battery is held in place and adjust whatever is needed to get it firmly in place.

mwagE

Feb 7, 2022
Texas
I agree with the post a bove suggesting it is a battery connection issue. The system only has to lose connection to the battery for a split second for the bike to completely shut down. I do not know the battery fitting arrangement on the Wild but I assume it is like most and essentially sits on the connector block before being secured with some form of latch at the top. The battery weight 2.5/3kg so any movement once in place will likely result in a poor or intermittent connection. So check how well the battery is held in place and adjust whatever is needed to get it firmly in place.
Thanks for the 2nd on that - I hope to have time this evening to check things out.

geckonia

Jun 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
Hello! I’m adding some info here in case anyone has this issue with their Powerfly. Mine did this too… shutting off over a bumpy section of trail every time I rode that spot. I re-adjusted the battery clips… that hold it in the frame and it stopped doing that. So maybe just loosen the bolts and snug the battery in as close as possible to the frame then tighten the bolts. That’s all I did. Never happened again.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Trek has a recall I understand for this problem, I’ve since sold my Trek but on very bumpy downhills it would shutoff. I believe the repair is to move somehow the battery lock.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
If your plug looks like this , replace it

58AADB55-7280-436D-8BF5-16FCB07D0B4E.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If your plug looks like this , replace it

View attachment 82024
............and it should not get like that!! The design that has the battery sitting on the connector plug.......and easilly removed because it sits in a cutaway down tube does concern me for 3 reasons. Firstly the weight of the battery if not locked down against that connector plug very tightly will put a huge strain on both the connections of the plug and the female connections of the battery. Secondly most of the designs seem incapable of keeping that connection clean and dry. Thirdly every type of male/female connector has a limited number of times the connection can be made before the surface metal of the pins become worn and that leads to higher resistance, which leads to heat, to leads ultimately to an unreliable connection.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
............and it should not get like that!! The design that has the battery sitting on the connector plug.......and easilly removed because it sits in a cutaway down tube does concern me for 3 reasons. Firstly the weight of the battery if not locked down against that connector plug very tightly will put a huge strain on both the connections of the plug and the female connections of the battery. Secondly most of the designs seem incapable of keeping that connection clean and dry. Thirdly every type of male/female connector has a limited number of times the connection can be made before the surface metal of the pins become worn and that leads to higher resistance, which leads to heat, to leads ultimately to an unreliable connection.

That photo of the electrical connector doesn't show the locator lug that is designed to take the strain of the battery sitting on it,so the connector doesn't have to do anything structural or load bearing.

Here an image of a Bosch battery, the end of the battery that the plug above plugs into, you can see it has a large cut out below the electric socket that a large plastic lug slots into that locates the battery in the correct place and takes all the force of holding the battery there,so all the connector is doing is making an electrical connection.

bosch-ebike-battery-powertube-625-wh-horizontal.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That photo of the electrical connector doesn't show the locator lug that is designed to take the strain of the battery sitting on it,so the connector doesn't have to do anything structural or load bearing.

Here an image of a Bosch battery, the end of the battery that the plug above plugs into, you can see it has a large cut out below the electric socket that a large plastic lug slots into that locates the battery in the correct place and takes all the force of holding the battery there,so all the connector is doing is making an electrical connection.

View attachment 82091
I know that is what it is supposed to do but in reality it only acts as a guide to allow the male/female connections to match up...... no way a short spigit into that hole can stop a 2.8kg battery c500mm long from moving.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hoping to get help figuring out issue - ive looked everywhere and don't see anyone reporting the same issue -
I have a 2021 Orbea Wild with CX line Gen 4
here are some details for trouble shooting help -

originally I thought this was happening from a bad battery so I bought a new battery and it still happens
then I thought it was because of a fail safe in the system because it only happens when shredding super hard in Turbo mode - so I put it in EMTB mode and it still happens

what happens is the system will just totally shut off I mean totally off - blank screen , no power - have to hit the power button and restart the system all over again -

this happened on my very first ride so I thought a branch hit my power button -

all I've been able to see on the web is that some folks report a bad connection and or going up hill...

as I have thought through this very toughly, I don't think I can rule out a connection issue because when I'm on my way home from the trails I will put it in turbo mode on the street and have never had it shut down. (full gas)
The shut down seems to happen on the same section of trail segments for the most part and not to put things in anyone's head it seems to happen during sharp high speed right turns... (but another section that it shuts down is a straight away) (both during only full gas)

So, if it is a connection issue - where is the problem and what is the best practice fix?

appreciate any help
Did you get it new?
What is your shop opinion?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles