Bosch gen 4 cx error code 504

Stengis40

Nov 7, 2020
Perth
Hi ,anyone know about Bosch error code 504 ? Tried searching forum but only got stuff about speedboxes ...was pedalling up a Munro tonight and motor started playing up and showed error code 504 ...motor has only around 280 miles on it ...

Stengis40

Nov 7, 2020
Perth
Hi error 504 is a tamper code. There is lots of info on you tube about clearing yourself or get the lbs to update to the latest software.
Thanks for the info...after posting this a few other posts popped up below with similar problems...not sure why they didn't show when I searched forum?weird...will throw it into lbs morrow...cheers

bodgy

Jul 27, 2021
Dorset, UK
I’ve had the same problem (dumping me into limp mode at the furthest point on a family bike ride ?).

LBS plugged it in and cleared the code but couldn’t guarantee how long the fix would last. They also advised that Error 504 could also mean that the magnetic wheel / speed sensor could be out of alignment as that gives the same code… meaning that I now have to trudge off to an authorised focus dealer to have that checked.

Won’t be buying Bosch again, and in future will only buy from shops that actually have authorised service status and the diagnostic kit. The bike itself (Focus Jafira2) is a complete weapon - no complaints there.

da21

Sep 25, 2021
London
Does anybody have any idea how this anti-tampering software responsible for the 504 error code works? I mean, what is the difference between riding uphill at real 25 km/h on an un-tampered bike, and riding at 40 km/h and 'fake' 25 km/h on the flat on a tampered one?

Maybe they use some sort of statistics, which tells them on average people don't always ride uphill, but this means that this software cannot possibly be water-tight, and false positives must be inevitable? Especially if you live on a hilly place.

BY the way, I have 1.1.5.0 and I am on my 4th error 504, which I could not clear myself anymore with the 90 minutes ride and I had to take it to the shop.

da21

Sep 25, 2021
London
The limping mode is not too bad though. On my bike (CX perfomance line bought back in may) it restricts the maximum rotation speed of the chainring, so that on your longest gear it assists you until 27-28 km/h (yes, a bit faster than the bike without the 504), and progressively slower on shorter gears. It is annoying that the range shows 0 all the time, but I guess one can live with that. I am thinking that if it happens again I
might change the chainring from 40T to 48T, which would give me another 20% in maximum speed.

Anyway, I liked the bike very much to the point that I was going to buy a second one for my wife, but I think after my experience with Bosh I will stay clear from them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles