Bike Supply - Rail's are landing but they seem to be 2021 models still

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
There's lots of talk about bike supply and parts the world over. FYI - one of the many local Trek shops in my area has now 4 high end carbon frame 9+ models on the floor! I was shocked to see the bikes this weekend. Specific shop is in Alamo, CA. It's a Trek company store, of which they have 3 within a 15 mile radius.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I'm sure there are tons of containers with 2021 models across all brands that have been stuck on ships for months and months. I've even heard of ships stuck off shore for 3 months or more just waiting to be unloaded.....

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My LBS, over here in the UK, has had quite a few Rails over the last few weeks and I bought a 7 from them last Friday.
It is a 2021, which is what I wanted, as I can't see any changes other than colour and, oh yes, price, for next year.

I haven't read anywhere that they will have the 750 wh, 5 kg battery but I didn't want to chance that either as I don't want to carry an extra 1 to 2 kg of ballast around everywhere.

On my first ride on my Rail 7 in the Peak District last Saturday, I did 44 miles with 4,500 ft of climbing on a 625 wh battery, that's plenty for me.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
@BiGJZ74 you're spot on. Have family down in So CA and they can see all the ships anchored off shore for months. The longshoreman unions have been playing with the whole Covid business. Consumables like chains, freewheels, tires, tubes etc have been difficult at best, impossible most of the time to source locally.

@Peaky Rider my feelings about the rail 7 is exactly same as yours so far. Have really enjoyed this bike. Same basic drive train as the higher end rail 9+ which works great for all of my riding. Haven't come close to draining the battery on any local ride. As @Rob Rides EMTB long term rail 5 review demonstrated, we can change almost any component to suit a need.

It's good news for all the people who've been wanting and waiting to get into eMTB that there are now bikes available. At the price point they may not sell quite as fast as I'd anticipated.

IanB-UK

Sep 9, 2021
Sussex
My LBS, over here in the UK, has had quite a few Rails over the last few weeks and I bought a 7 from them last Friday.
It is a 2021, which is what I wanted, as I can't see any changes other than colour and, oh yes, price, for next year.

I haven't read anywhere that they will have the 750 wh, 5 kg battery but I didn't want to chance that either as I don't want to carry an extra 1 to 2 kg of ballast around everywhere.

On my first ride on my Rail 7 in the Peak District last Saturday, I did 44 miles with 4,500 ft of climbing on a 625 wh battery, that's plenty for me.
This is great to know! I do a lot of riding locally and tend to do anywhere between 14-22 miles most rides but never tested the limit of the battery! I have a ride next week which is an organised event and it’s 38 miles, already worrying the battery won’t last! Not sure why, it’s not like a car where you are stuck, I can carry on cycling without the battery 😂

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
in the Peak District last Saturday, I did 44 miles with 4,500 ft of climbing on a 625 wh battery
Thats good mileage and climbing for the Peak on a Rail, what was your route. Managed 38 miles and just under 4000ft on our Rails in the Peak with a good amount of eco. 1% of battery left.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I routinely ride my SC Heckler with it turned off in S Arizona. I don't do long climbs without battery anymore but I still ride my ebike like I did my hardtail.
Arizona trails are probably pretty much perfect for riding unassisted, UK trails not so much; at this time of year they are usually slop-fests.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thats good mileage and climbing for the Peak on a Rail, what was your route. Managed 38 miles and just under 4000ft on our Rails in the Peak with a good amount of eco. 1% of battery left.

Fitted a Kiox display on Monday and that shows I even had 16% battery left.

When I say 'Peak District' I guess you are thinking 'Dark Peak' (Ladybower). This ride started in Wirksworrth, near Black Rocks and headed north, mainly off-road, through Monsal Dale over Eyam Rake and return. Just a typical cross country ride, one of many that we do every Saturday. The hills are just as steep as those around Ladybower, there are just more cafes.

Off to the Dark Peak tomorrow, if the weather holds.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles