Trek Rail 5 - Landed Today - 1st day thoughts and impressions.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I originally was down for the Rail 7. My LBS couldn't get it until March. I opted for the lower spec Rail 5 as I was itching to get out. To be honest the Matt black and olive is a great combo.

Before picking it up I had the brakes changed to the Shimano MT501/520 as I didn't like the look and the levers of the Tektro.

I also had the dropper lever changed to the One Up lever. Game changer.

I've had the bike fully Shack Wrapped, great as he's only down the road from me.

Converted to tubeless within 10 mins of getting it home and installed the HT Composite pedals as they don't freeze up in winter.

I've never owned a EBike. I've had a quick go on my mates. I didn't really know what to expect. Coming from a Scott Spark 940 this was going to be a different ballgame.

The 5 is equipped with SRAM SX 12 speed. Coming from the GX Eagle on my Scott. The SX lever is plastic but felt precise in the shifting, the same with the dereailluer. Down the line I'll upgrade to the GX. I do prefer the SRAM Eagle black cassettes over the Shimano especially with the matt bike.

I started off with the power off just getting used to how the bike felt. Honestly it felt so natural with the full size chainring, shorter chainstay.

I used my usual 20 odd mile loop as a test for the bike. I've done this many many times on my XC Scott.

Met a couple of mates at our starting point. At this point still hadn't turned it on as it's all downhill.

This is where the fun began for me. The gradient started to kick in. Power on time. ECO mode. Wowwww f@@k me thought someone had put a rocket up my arse. If this is ECO what the hell is TURBO like.

Coasted on ECO for the next couple of miles which is low gradient to the base of Holcombe Hill which is about 700ft from the bottom of the road to the top of the hill.

Still in ECO chatting to my mate who has a Mondraker EBike coasting up to the base of the steep bit. Normally a conversation is out of the way as we're normally blowing out of our arses.

Hill time. Started in ECO then thought I'd knock it up one to TOUR. Unbelievable. Absolutely flew up with a high cadence. Night and day. I can honestly say it's a life changer. On my XC it's a marathon getting up it. Hallucinating as it gets pretty steep. I was still breathing hard without the pain of my legs exploding.

Now for the downhill. Everything fully open. Running about 20psi front and back to test. The acceleration you can get just in ECO is awesome. Absolutely blasted over the rock's and bricks down the trail. The Rockshox 35's felt really plush soaking up all the shit. The tractor tyres flew through the ice and mud with ease.

As you can see from my Strava screenshot. It was a decent Sunday ride out. All this was done mostly between OFF and ECO. I had quick bursts of Turbo and EMTB just messing really.

As this is the lowest spec it comes with the 500Kwh hour battery. I had only used 2 bars with this ride. Personally I thought this was great. I'm a stone heavier than I'd like to be at the moment as well.

I'm glad I went for the Rail 5. It was over a grand cheaper so I can upgrade bits as I go along.

I'm absolutely made up with this bike it's an absolute tool of a machine.

Any questions feel free to ask.

IMG_20191201_081310.jpg

Screenshot_20191201-211347.png

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I test rode a Rail 7 today - however it only had 2 bars when I picked it up from LBS and that almost immediately dropped to one bar after I set off. Was still hopeful I’d get round my loop - I didn’t, battery ran out well before the end, so a hard slog back to the shop.
that aside was very impressed with the bike handling and the motor. Didn’t think I would like the 29er wheels but they were fine. Main reason I’m thinking of selling my Focus is battery range - but today wasn’t a fair test from that perspective. Have some thinking to do...
I like the colour of that Rail 5.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Definitely a risk leaving with 2 bar's. The 5 has the 500wh. The main reason I was going for the 7 was the bigger battery even though I did like the Olive on the 5.

Looking at the Strava summary. It's a decent ride. Had bursts of Turbo here and there. Mostly in ECO. Only used 2 bars over that distance with a rear tyre that was losing air due to me not checking the factory rim taping.

I reckon I could get a decent 50 mile ride out of that battery. I weigh about 13st at the moment plus had about a litre of water plus spares.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
50 miles out of the smaller battery sounds pretty good to me.

I was surprised how quickly the one bar ran out tho. I did have it on mtb mode which I suppose didn’t help. When I did have power was very impressed with the bike.

DMS2610

Jul 27, 2020
Lichfield UK
I bought a Rail 5 then changed to the 625 battery and then continued to swap everything but the frame, wheels, cassette and saddle…..does it ride any better….err no, not at my level :D

Upgrade lis

Hope carbon Bars
Hope Stem
Hope Cranks
Hope Brakes
Hope chainring
Wireless dropper
Wireless Rear Mech
625 battery
Brendan pedals
deathgrips
Bosch Kiox display
ZEB Ultimates
Rear shock upgrade

And before I finally get certified insane i might just do the wheels lol

IMG_8815.JPG

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles