Big Brose motor upgrade now available for older motors.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Bearing Man

You could use all the totally screwed motors to make empty shells with just a crank for all the people who have demanded an option to make their EMTB a manual ! :)

I suspect you'll sell .....

< not many ..

The new .. Brose Mag LesS . Only 874g.

LeLik

Jun 6, 2022
Gdansk
Hello guys, can you give the cue, please, about the size or/and article part number of the mudguard seal?

Brose_seal.PNG

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
They do make crud riding fun, but you would not have done this to your old bike because you would have had to get off and carry it. If you had have been able to ride through all that crud, your old bike would have lasted 5 minutes too ?
The crankshaft needle roller bearing surface can be machined and sleeved, or a larger bearing fitted, but the sprag bearings are critical on size and require a rock hard surface. We have looked at every option of re-working the crank and none are so far economically viable. If we get enough, that day may come, but for now it's a new or good condition used crank.
We can do Shimano E7 and 8000 but we wont as they have an inherent software problem that writes the motor off. It was working out that if we were the last people to touch the motor, we got the blame. I didn't like replacing motors for something that wasn't my fault. I still have bearings and parts for them but we refuse to work on them so please don't ask.
Point taken about Shimano motors. In fact, I wrote to emountainbiking magazine to say that they should mention in their tests that Shimano motors were protected by software from being repaired which I saw as a huge disadvantage which should be mentioned to prospective buyers. Then I heard that Pete from PFLB was repairing Shimano motors and so went ahead an bought a bike with an E8 motor (Orbea Rise). I also wrote to emountainbiking magazine to say that I was mistaken and Shimano motors could be repaired. However, as you can see from above, it turns out I am correct after all and I'm not aware of anyone repairing Shimano motors because of the software issues. So, if my E8 breaks after the guarantee runs out it seems only alternative is to get a new (and expensive) motor. Pete serviced my Brose motor last year and it is running nicely and I assume will do so pretty much indefinitely as long as I keep water out, replace the belt when necessary and replace any worn bearings. If people become aware that Shimano motors cannot be repaired, while other motors can, this will begin to affect sales and/or choice of manufacturers. Hopefully, Shimano will see sense and make their motors repairable. I hope for my sake they do this before my guarantee runs out!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Point taken about Shimano motors. In fact, I wrote to emountainbiking magazine to say that they should mention in their tests that Shimano motors were protected by software from being repaired which I saw as a huge disadvantage which should be mentioned to prospective buyers. Then I heard that Pete from PFLB was repairing Shimano motors and so went ahead an bought a bike with an E8 motor (Orbea Rise). I also wrote to emountainbiking magazine to say that I was mistaken and Shimano motors could be repaired. However, as you can see from above, it turns out I am correct after all and I'm not aware of anyone repairing Shimano motors because of the software issues. So, if my E8 breaks after the guarantee runs out it seems only alternative is to get a new (and expensive) motor. Pete serviced my Brose motor last year and it is running nicely and I assume will do so pretty much indefinitely as long as I keep water out, replace the belt when necessary and replace any worn bearings. If people become aware that Shimano motors cannot be repaired, while other motors can, this will begin to affect sales and/or choice of manufacturers. Hopefully, Shimano will see sense and make their motors repairable. I hope for my sake they do this before my guarantee runs out!
I wonder if that would still happen with STunlocker installed?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Sadly, I agree. Of course, it is not certain that the motor will fail once out of guarantee, so its a risk, not a certainty. Either Shimano do something about this or maybe someone finds a way to get around the software problem. If I were to sell at this point, I would probably lose more than £900. In any case, one of the conditions of getting a grant for the bike (worth about £500) was that one does not sell the bike for at least one year

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Shimano motors cannot be repaired, while other motors can, this will begin to affect sales and/or choice of manufacturers. Hopefully, Shimano will see sense and make their motors repairable. I hope for my sake they do this before my guarantee runs out!

Shimano motors can be repaired. We used to repair them and we sell the bearings for them. The only reason we stopped repairing them was because of the common fault codes that would brick the motor.

I am unsure of the grease used in this video but do not be tempted to use the very similar looking Molybdenum Disulfide, this does not play well with electronics, clutch bearings or plastic gears.

Turbo Mike

Jun 29, 2021
Phoenix, Arizona
Does anyone know where I can purchase an S-Mag bearing rebuild kit in the US that has the water sealing features and the Sprag clutch with the steel cage? Seems I can only get the upgrade if I send the motor in for rebuild.
Thanks !

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
My <500Km old Gen3 Levo Motor started to make queaky sounds again, like all the 5 or 6 before him did at some point.
Just now for the first time it was finally out of guarantee. Living close to the Spanish partner of the eBike Motor Center I brought the bike to them and they diagnosed some worn out bearings which they replaced. Just got the bike back after few days.

Thank you a ton @Bearing Man for doing Specialized's job. And for saving my Bike from turning into a 8000 Eur brick!

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
@Bearing Man
From the FAQ:
"Yamaha tend to use a grease that dries out or disperses over time. After approx 1,500 miles they could normally do with a cleanout and refresh. This quietens them down quite a bit. Obviously if bearings are beginning to fail, this will also increase noise."

does this apply to the Giant SyncDrive Pro2 ?
shouldn't Giant state somewhere that the motor needs regular service?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
@Bearing Man
From the FAQ:
"Yamaha tend to use a grease that dries out or disperses over time. After approx 1,500 miles they could normally do with a cleanout and refresh. This quietens them down quite a bit. Obviously if bearings are beginning to fail, this will also increase noise."

does this apply to the Giant SyncDrive Pro2 ?
shouldn't Giant state somewhere that the motor needs regular service?
This only really applies to the earlier PW and PW-SE, ST, CE, X, X2 and TE type motors that relied on this grease to lubricate bronze bushes within the motor. Your motor, the PW-X3 has come a long way since those days and the grease has now changed. Yamaha no longer print service manuals for these motors either :)

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
This only really applies to the earlier PW and PW-SE, ST, CE, X, X2 and TE type motors that relied on this grease to lubricate bronze bushes within the motor. Your motor, the PW-X3 has come a long way since those days and the grease has now changed. Yamaha no longer print service manuals for these motors either :)

Thanks you so much for confirming...
I don't have a bike yet with that motor, just planning to buy. Its reassuring to hear that motors are improving

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles