Repair Brose motor..

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Here’s a short vid of how loud it is. I think it’s even louder than some of the 2019 levo’s with the 2.1’s ??
To me, this sounds more gear related than a bearing issue. Gears are not available for this motor so again I urge you to take it back under warranty. (point out the bad press they are getting Specialized on the forums ;))

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Also this battery charges verses kilometres is bullshit who to say you dont ride around loads in eco set at it very lowest and if they use MC to count the distance it can be wildly inaccurate

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Also this battery charges verses kilometres is bullshit who to say you dont ride around loads in eco set at it very lowest and if they use MC to count the distance it can be wildly inaccurate
true but I was at the opposite end of the scale because I spend majority of my time in turbo mode having a too much of a fun time

Last edited:

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
G
I agree, something doesnt add up here... ?
you're right, its doesn't add up and to say I'm frustrated at Specialized is an understatement but I'm trying to put on a brave face.
The simple fact of the matter is I de-restricted and they picked up on it so warranty is void. (regardless of whether this was a failure that was going to happen anyway)

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
G

you're right, its doesn't add up and to say I'm frustrated at Specialized is an understatement but I'm trying to put on a brave face.
The simple fact of the matter is I de-restricted and they picked up on it so warranty is void. (regardless of whether this was a failure that was going to happen anyway)
Kenevo, I will give be happy to give you all the help and assistance I can if this is the only avenue left open to you. The first thing I would try before taking anything apart, is adjust the belt tension.
As I said, the noise you have sounds more gear or drive related than bearing related.

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
G

you are the first ive heard about where spesh have withdrawn warranty. I wonder whether spesh are beginning to take a harder line. If so i imagine there are alot of worried people reading this. Keep us posted on how you get on sorting it out.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
you are the first ive heard about where spesh have withdrawn warranty. I wonder whether spesh are beginning to take a harder line. If so i imagine there are alot of worried people reading this. Keep us posted on how you get on sorting it out.
I do feel like I am the first person to have warranty withdrawn but have been assured this is not the case.
Specialized global are definitely taking a tougher stance on the issue, this is highlighted by the removal of the ability to adjust wheel size in the new mission control app. They have been forced to take the hard line on the issue for legal reasons as mentioned by rider care in another thread on this forum.
Hope my missfortune can help others when they decide to de restrict or not de restrict.
I certainly can’t afford to replace my motor every 200km’s.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I do feel like I am the first person to have warranty withdrawn but have been assured this is not the case.
Specialized global are definitely taking a tougher stance on the issue, this is highlighted by the removal of the ability to adjust wheel size in the new mission control app. They have been forced to take the hard line on the issue for legal reasons as mentioned by rider care in another thread on this forum.
Hope my missfortune can help others when they decide to de restrict or not de restrict.
I certainly can’t afford to replace my motor every 200km’s.

As I understand it all the 1.2 or 1.3 motors are physically identical externally at least so you could upgrade if you have to replace the motor. You void the warranty if you open the motor to find out the problem so you are a bit stuffed anyway but until you do you don't know what the problems is. With respect to bike shops, I am not sure many of them would have the experience to disassemble and find the fault given that Specialized do not/can not supply parts for internal repairs on motors. I would want some confirmation that the dealer has had some training in motor repairs before letting the loose on it. Is the bike shop supporting you even though their hands are somewhat tied?

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
As I understand it all the 1.2 or 1.3 motors are physically identical externally at least so you could upgrade if you have to replace the motor. You void the warranty if you open the motor to find out the problem so you are a bit stuffed anyway but until you do you don't know what the problems is. With respect to bike shops, I am not sure many of them would have the experience to disassemble and find the fault given that Specialized do not/can not supply parts for internal repairs on motors. I would want some confirmation that the dealer has had some training in motor repairs before letting the loose on it. Is the bike shop supporting you even though their hands are somewhat tied?
Yeah I’m thinking of putting a 1.3 in as they are a better motor.
My local bike shop has been as supportive as they can so I can’t complain.

Last edited:

grieko

Sep 15, 2018
9468AP annen Netherlands
I understood, when you use the BLEVo app, and you do not change the wheel size, it is possible to tune the brose motor as you like without problems with Brose or Specialized. I use that great app. take respect to the Blevo user manual. Systems have circuit protection to prevent over heating, do never overrule that or take it out. Sorry for bad English.
Specialized have to make clear of the motor is power restricted yes or no!!! It not you can never damage the motor. Sorry for bad English.
Specialized have to clear explain why it is possible to damage the bearings when you modfy some components.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Update - my LBS and Specialized have had further discussions about my motor and want to further investigate. Given the noise occurred after only 6 weeks of riding they don’t want to leave me without a bike/motor for a few weeks while it’s investigated so they have decided to replace the motor as a gesture of goodwill even though they were well within their rights to refuse my warranty due to de-restricting.

Lesson learnt!

Time to hit the trails ⚡

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles