Big Brose motor upgrade now available for older motors.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
@Bearing Man

I have been in contact with your man in Australia .
Called him Saturday , replaced the bearings monday !

My 2 month old replacement motor was making a grinding noise when I pedaled back wards .

Changed the right side crank bearing ,upgraded the sprag bearing and added an extra seal .Got some insights into Brose motors and removing and replacing them . The mother trucker from the Spesh shop who charged me $320 to exchange my motor should wear a mask . A f -ing stocking mask as he is no more than a common thief .

Last edited:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
@Bearing Man

I have been in contact with your man in Australia .
Called him Saturday , replaced the bearings monday !

My 2 month old replacement motor was making a grinding noise when I pedaled back wards .

Changed the right side crank bearing ,upgraded the sprag bearing and added an extra seal .Got some insights into Brose motors and removing and replacing them . The mother trucker from the Spesh shop who charged me $320 to exchange my motor should wear a mask . A f -ing stocking mask as he is no more than a common thief .

?

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Great video. Thank you

In the video comments in case, anyone missed it.

If you're interested, just try removing your chain from the front chainring and slowly turning the pedals and crank backwards. The motor should be totally silent, smooth and very free moving? Then try spinning the pedals by hand as fast as possible. This will put a side load on the outer crankshaft bearings and see if you have a slight rough or grumbly noise? When the crank is spun slowly, it rotates on its centre bearing which is usually in good condition, this masks the feel and sound of the outer bearings. Also, sometimes peoples perception of perfect can be very different :)

Moby_IOM

Jan 26, 2021
Isle of Man
Just out of interest... if you had a 2019 Levo on it's original motor and it was to fail under warranty I guess Specialized would replace it with a motor fit for purpose i.e water tight and more robust the current spec?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Is anyone or has anyone considered this if your motor is still under warranty .?
I know it will void the warranty but the thought of the motor blowing up 30 miles away from home Is really making me think about getting this upgrade done just for peace of mind even if it’s at the expense of loosing the warranty

anyone else thinking the same ?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Is anyone or has anyone considered this if your motor is still under warranty .?
I know it will void the warranty but the thought of the motor blowing up 30 miles away from home Is really making me think about getting this upgrade done just for peace of mind even if it’s at the expense of loosing the warranty

anyone else thinking the same ?

My situation was complicated by being a 2nd hand bike . They want me to pay labour when the motor blows up .
I decided better to strengthen and seal the motor I had instead .

Bike shop charged me $320 = 200 pounds labour fee to exchange the motor 2 months ago . Not wanting to do that again .
I pulled the motor out , had it upgraded it and put it back for less than the labour fee to exchange !

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
What’s the approx price for the upgrade on a 2020 brose for a Levo comp
Price: See web site The price is based on a motor being received in good working order, with no other parts or repairs required.
Should we open your motor and find any issues that require attention, such as a worn or failing bearing etc., we will contact you with a price to repair these issues before we continue with any upgrade work.

If you want piece of mind when miles from home, or you want your Brose motor as strong, watertight and reliable as is currently possible, just send your motor to us. This upgrade is also a must for anyone using their Brose powered eBike for race or competition use.

I was lucky . I had some grit enter the crank side bearing that made a grinding noise . But only when pedaling backwards .
When we looked at the seals on the crank there is a gaping hole where the dust entered . No water but !
Talking to TBM he said water is what usually damages the motors . I knew I hadn`t ridden any deep streams and I am careful when washing . Still I had that grinding noise which I knew was doing damage .
Part of the upgrade is adding an internal seal on that orifice .
If you leave it too long the crank spindle itself can get corroded by water or ground by grit . Then its a lot bigger job than the hour or two we spent .

Last edited:

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Not just wet and muddy conditions . Fine dry dust can / will enter Brose motors too !
I have been on the phone to TBM discussing a grinding when I pedal back wards . Sounds like grit in the right side crank bearing .

TBM has put me in contact with a guy in Australia who works on Brose motors . Wish me luck .

Could you please let me know how to contact that guy too ?

Orinoko

Nov 10, 2020
Stroud
Just received my Brose motor back from being upgraded by Performance.
It failed due to belt disintegration and though Chris at Berkshire offered me a new motor at a greatly reduced cost after a chat with him and Peter at Performance I decided to upgrade.
I received the motor back today after a week turnaround.It had needed a couple of extra bearings as well as the upgrade at a cost of £273 including Post.
Whilst the motor was out I cleaned everything up and installed a new gear cable and dropper post cable with some extra protection over the outer cable where they had rubbed badly,Ialso took Chris’s advice and rerouted the gear cable over the top of the motor.
Although the motor is pretty well sealed now that Performance have worked their magic I have tried to add a little bit more to the covers.
Grommets where the charge lead enters and where the speed sensor n rear brake hose enter.Also the use of sump guard foam to seal the gap at the rear where the gear cable runs from the swing arm into the right side cover.Rubber bungs into the pedal arm allen bolts to stop water travelling along the inside of motor crank,after a squirt of ACF 50.I’ve also improved the rear mudguard to hopefully keep more mud off the back of the motor.I will keep an eye on motor temperature and will probably remove left side covers for an inspection periodically,easy job.
On the test ride it felt quicker.Long ride planned for tomorrow.Will feed back.
It’s a pleasure to deal with both Chris and Peter,and hopefully my motor has been future proofed.
Hope the pics make sense.

4FDA0B43-A18D-4D8A-A617-563CF55010C5.jpeg

60F07613-9458-4698-BCA6-E9D100F260F6.jpeg

99A211AA-B75D-450F-9C2B-D35B5806F73D.jpeg

CE4F9DEA-1544-4715-96D2-41A74AD2B7F6.jpeg

1C9EAE9E-BB79-4266-9290-372BB7F032AA.jpeg

9DBE71D0-7C01-4FAB-98FC-10F5A10A8402.jpeg

A4B01F08-B3EB-4F62-B96F-8A8AFD5F92AD.jpeg

33179AAA-5CD4-4B9A-9014-3F45DA628DED.jpeg

6EA5F01F-69B9-4281-B8CB-E4FF2516FE7A.jpeg

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Really helpful post, thanks. I have a question — your opinion really. For those with a 2020 bike with the 4 yr warranty (3 yr left then), what’s your advice about these ‘upgrades’? For example, I’m on my third motor — amongst other electrical bits and bobs — and I worry about where the balance lies between on the one hand leaving ‘well alone’ to ensure I’m not accused of invalidating the warranty and on the other hand, implementing everything you’ve done to ensure I minimise future problems. I guess I always have the option of removing some of these upgrades (not all) before returning to the LBS for a warranty repair should I have yet another failure.
Hope that makes sense ?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I think if you were very careful when you split the casing to not damage the do not open sticker And put things back as they were.
The bike shop would never know .
They diagnose the bike , decide its faulty and exchange . The motor gets sent back to Specialized . if Specialized forward it to Brose and they look inside it may be a different story ??
But ... after the amount of motors that Brose have had returned I`m guessing it would just go in the recycling bin with the rest ??

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I think if you were very careful when you split the casing to not damage the do not open sticker And put things back as they were.
The bike shop would never know .
They diagnose the bike , decide its faulty and exchange . The motor gets sent back to Specialized . if Specialized forward it to Brose and they look inside it may be a different story ??
But ... after the amount of motors that Brose have had returned I`m guessing it would just go in the recycling bin with the rest ??
Thanks - lots to think about ?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I have a question for PLB - if I opted for a full service would it automatically include all of these updates? I'm on an 18 Levo, second motor only has 750km on it so isn't knackered yet. But I crash a lot an ride in winter so the omens aren't good.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I have a question for PLB - if I opted for a full service would it automatically include all of these updates? I'm on an 18 Levo, second motor only has 750km on it so isn't knackered yet. But I crash a lot an ride in winter so the omens aren't good.
We do include the seals as standard on any service we carry out, but not the upgraded belt and sprag bearings. These are part of a full upgrade. Cost is very much a balancing act with these motors and we would usually carry out a service upgrade, where we inform of any remedial work if required.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Out for a ride today and had an accidental full motor submerge in a stream. A few weeks back I had fitted the 'X' ring seals on the crank which @Bearing Man includes as part of the upgrade. It wasn't in the water long and I felt much more confident that it hasn't damaged the motor by getting water in via the crankshaft. So a big thanks to Pete for the work he has put into improving the Brose motor for Specialized owners.

No problems restarting the ride after the submerge which does go to show that the Roseberger cable connection to the battery is actually pretty well sealed as well.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is there any company doing something similar in Europe? (The Brose upgrade)
With the brexit, trade with the UK has become a real problem.
There are some alternatives in Germany/France/Italy mentioned in this thread :

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There is a way to ship the motor to the UK and back again without attracting duty.

Although this refers to shipping from the UK to EU for repair, it is a reciprocal arrangement so it should be the same process to ship from EU to UK.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The motor can come in and go back under "goods for repair" but we have found that this notice is often not acknowledged and we have ended up paying up to £250.00 import duty on the full value of the motor. We can prove that the motor was repaired and sent back, but it can take up to 3 months to get our money back. The other issue is the 5 to 8 week delay at the borders each way. Our customers are not to happy with a 16 week wait and this is really the time damage or loss can occur.
It is a sad situation and currently costing us a fortune in lost business :(

nmb1970

Dec 16, 2020
Portugal
The motor can come in and go back under "goods for repair" but we have found that this notice is often not acknowledged and we have ended up paying up to £250.00 import duty on the full value of the motor. We can prove that the motor was repaired and sent back, but it can take up to 3 months to get our money back. The other issue is the 5 to 8 week delay at the borders each way. Our customers are not to happy with a 16 week wait and this is really the time damage or loss can occur.
It is a sad situation and currently costing us a fortune in lost business :(
So what do you recommend? I’m from portugal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles