Best Emtb Wheelset?.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Hunt wheels
Problem is they're more expensive than hope,
What’s your opinion on 2-cross-3-cross combination?
I haven’t laced a set yet but I’m gonna give it a try when I change the hub(s).
What Gary said. Just stick with 3X. Although, I couldn't get spokes the correct length for my last build for 3X, so went 2X - The same as the original line comp 30's that came on the bike. It's the first set I've built in 2X and can't say I notice a difference 🤔

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Hunt use novatec hubs. So if you're up for building your own wheels you should be able to build a superior rim onto the same hubs for a fair bit less outlay.
Agreed, why buy hunt wheels that don't come with hope hubs, when you could buy hope wheels for the same (ish) price that do? More marketing BS. It seems all the discount hubs have gone up as well. Novatec/superstar etc, all have crept up to the point where buying Hope is a no brainer.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My non judgemental argument for anyone saying carbon isn’t worth it is; if you end up replacing basically even one rim a year due to bending or break a rim carbon becomes a serious option.

In 2020 I broke or bent two alloy rims, I have yet to damage one of my WeAreOne rims yet. And they almost never even have spokes come loose.

once you factor in the cost of rebuilding a wheel once or maybe even twice year depending on how much you ride carbon really comes into play as being a affordable option.

Of course if someone doesn’t ride hard or allot then it might not make sense to spend the one on carbon.
The cost is definitely more upfront but I think over a few years the cost of ownership could definitely be less than an alloy option.

hmmm, I'm a serial rim dinger , never to the point that they fail completely, but they often needed trueing or bending the 'ding' out of the rim a few times a year, so a few years ago I switched to carbon rims (from light bicycle), their "DH" rims, and rather than just ding these rims, I completely destroyed two of them, destroyed as in had a long walk home. So then I tried another brand (not the likes of enve or we are one), same thing happened - destroyed rim = long walk home.

So I've switched back to alu rims now, at least with alu they dont completely fail - I'm happy to true them, bend them back into shape.

I guess you'd say that the light bicycle rims were cheap chinese crap (maybe they are)and thats why I destroyed them ,but I'm not going to spend thousands of pounds on some carbon rims from the likes of enve or we are one , because if I do destroy them I'm going to be seriously annoyed.

Having said all that - my ebike came with dtswiss hx1501 aluminium wheelset, and these have stayed completely straight and ding free - they're awesome - not light though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
mmm, I'm a serial rim dinger , never to the point that they fail completely, but they often needed trueing or bending the 'ding' out of the rim a few times a year, so a few years ago I switched to carbon rims (from light bicycle), their "DH" rims, and rather than just ding these rims, I completely destroyed two of them, destroyed as in had a long walk home. So then I tried another brand (not the likes of enve or we are one), same thing happened - destroyed rim = long walk home.

So I've switched back to alu rims now, at least with alu they dont completely fail - I'm happy to true them, bend them back into shape.

I guess you'd say that the light bicycle rims were cheap chinese crap (maybe they are)and thats why I destroyed them ,but I'm not going to spend thousands of pounds on some carbon rims from the likes of enve or we are one , because if I do destroy them I'm going to be seriously annoyed
lol
Have you considered running more supportive pressures?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can't stand their brakes. The over machined lever blades just aren't ergonomic or comfortable. I don't ever wear gloves and this is glaringly obvious as soon as you ride with them. The new brake is laughable. claiming more power than previously with the addition of an absolutely ridiculously long lever - No shit ?? 😂 not to mention the tiny reservoir fasteners folk always round. pointless/shit bleed kit adapters. Non standard brake mount adapters.
Their cranks are still a pretty stupid design (although not half as bad as their first ones) needing proprietary tools
Their hubs aren't actually particularly durable at all. I've personally broken/cracked tons of hope hubs over the years. incl Axles. hub shells, rotor mounts and internals.
Their flat pedals are way overpriced and not a particularly great design/shape (haven't used their SPDs)
There are far better rims for similar money.
I'm not interested in the slightest in mediocre over CNCd accessories/parts in a multitude of anodized colours.
BITD their customer service genuinely used to be absolutely amazing. Hence me owning 20+ Hope hubs over the years. But that's simply no longer the case. that and rebuildability/spares availability was the main reason I chose them.
I actually still have a fair few hope hubs in use on 26" bikes and one set of older Hope Tech 2 brakes but they're on a lightweight 4X hardtail with street tyres so it's never going to be particularly important to swap for anything better.

What exactly would you consider "superb" about their hubs? :unsure:
Yeah. They're ok for the money ie. for a fairly light and reasonably reliable hub manufactured in the UK. But I wouldn't go as far as to say there's anything superb about the actual hub design or it's fairly low POE pawl & ratchet freehub

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Jeez I wish I'd never asked...... 🤣

I consider their hubs good value for money, and I've never broken one, or had to replace the bearings in one. Hope certainly have their blinded fanboys, I'm not one of them.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
e13 alloy or carbon wheels? From what I’ve seen and heard the e13 alloy wheels seem quite soft?
The carbon wheels On my Yt Decoy Pro. I rode that bike hard in some very steep and rough terrain and the rims had zero problems. I trued them once and never touched them again. I wish I could say the same for the hubs. I’ve had a number of e13 components on bikes over the years and the quality is not great. I’ve had issues with their service as well.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haha... Yeah. Sorry.. Some things you probably just shouldn't ask. 😂
had to replace the bearings in one
TBF if that's the case you can't have done a huge amount of riding on them.
As hubs go you'll find your hope's fairly straightforward to strip and replace bearings when the time comes. But it is a far nicer job if you have shop tools. Including a couple of proprietary Hope hub tools. (their tools aren't particularly expensive so worthwhile buying if you think you'll stick with them longterm)

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Haha... Yeah. Sorry.. Some things you probably just shouldn't ask. 😂

TBF if that's the case you can't have done a huge amount of riding on them.
As hubs go you'll find your hope's fairly straightforward to strip and replace bearings when the time comes. But it is a far nicer job if you have shop tools. Including a couple of proprietary Hope hub tools. (their tools aren't particularly expensive so worthwhile buying if you think you'll stick with them longterm)
Should clarify Gary, I don't have any hope hubs on my current bikes but have had several of them in the past. I just used hope as an example of not needing to spend an extortionate amount of cash to get quality gear. I've had a rear pro 2 outlast three bikes, but it has to be said I don't do half the milage I used to. Probably 1500 a year of mixed up down and along in all weathers.... Like you said, shop tools make life easier although care, attention, the right size drifts, and a heat gun make most bearing changes smooth and easy. Generally MTB bearings of all types practically fall into place if you get things right.

If the biggest hammer comes out of the toolbox you're doing something wrong!

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
The best wheels I've ever had were DT Swiss ex1501 which were light and very strong. They came stock on a canyon strive and I loved them. Should have kept them but a new canyon a couple of years ago came with a Reynolds carbon wheelset so I got rid of the DT Swiss. To be totally honest I really don't see any benefit of the carbon wheels and think top end alloy wheels are probably better.
I'd love to have a set of the DT Swiss ex1501 on my ebike, but I've got stock DT Swiss H552 which weigh a ton but have been pretty strong so far, so I'll keep them until I wreck them.
Try the DT Swiss EX1700 basically EX511 with the new 350 hubs a great wheel set.

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
I just picked up a pair of almost new Bontrager Line Comp 30s for my wife’s Rail 5. Upgraded the hub to 108 POE. This is what the bike should have had on it to start with.

Never liked the Alex Rims it came with.

Yup, those Alex rims on the Rail 5 will ding if you look at them cross and the rear hub was roasted in less than 300 miles! I got the bro deal on the Line Elite 30's which use Trek's OCLV carbon which they claim to be the strongest in the industry. I was initially concerned about only 28 spokes but they have a lifetime warranty so... I've put them thru the wringer here in the Pacific NW on some very demanding/aggressive trails and they've held up like new. They weigh about the same as aluminum rims but I never have to true them and no chance for dings/dents. The 6 pawl rear hub (108 point engagement) is really nice too. For the same price as a nice aluminum wheelset, I couldn't be happier and working on my wheels is no longer a "thing". I can't recommend them enough and I'm not a Bontrager nor Trek fanboy by any means but these flat out work.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I have DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon wheels on my analog bike and would not consider using them on my eMtb... too light IMHO.

Last edited:

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
Looking through the forum trying to find advise on hubs, nothing really conclusive above.

I have been riding Hope Pro4 hubs with DT swiss FR560 on my kenevo and DT EX511 on my Giga. Rims have been brilliant but the Pro4 hubs have been a nightmare, to be far Hope have sorted under warranty quickly enough but the bearings and microspline freehub just don’t stand up, particularly on my Kenevo. Last time the freehub bearings fell apart and now Hope have installed 3 bearings in the freehub alone!

I have been thinking to change hubs to DT swiss 240s Hybrid or Chris King any thoughts or other recommendations on hubs?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Yup, those Alex rims on the Rail 5 will ding if you look at them cross and the rear hub was roasted in less than 300 miles! I got the bro deal on the Line Elite 30's which use Trek's OCLV carbon which they claim to be the strongest in the industry. I was initially concerned about only 28 spokes but they have a lifetime warranty so... I've put them thru the wringer here in the Pacific NW on some very demanding/aggressive trails and they've held up like new. They weigh about the same as aluminum rims but I never have to true them and no chance for dings/dents. The 6 pawl rear hub (108 point engagement) is really nice too. For the same price as a nice aluminum wheelset, I couldn't be happier and working on my wheels is no longer a "thing". I can't recommend them enough and I'm not a Bontrager nor Trek fanboy by any means but these flat out work.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Trek carbon Line Elite 30's down the line too, lifetime warranty and decent price for Carbon.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Looking through the forum trying to find advise on hubs, nothing really conclusive above.

I have been riding Hope Pro4 hubs with DT swiss FR560 on my kenevo and DT EX511 on my Giga. Rims have been brilliant but the Pro4 hubs have been a nightmare, to be far Hope have sorted under warranty quickly enough but the bearings and microspline freehub just don’t stand up, particularly on my Kenevo. Last time the freehub bearings fell apart and now Hope have installed 3 bearings in the freehub alone!

I have been thinking to change hubs to DT swiss 240s Hybrid or Chris King any thoughts or other recommendations on hubs?
Interesting, whats failing? the bearings in the freehub body?
I've just put a set of I9's on my heckler and they are fantastic, but I've nothing bad to say about Chris King either other than they are a bit of a nightmare to service. Check with DT what ratchet system they recommend as I know one of them doesn't play well with Eeb's ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just watching this thread out of interest …

I contacted a wheel builder (DCR) after someone recommended them on another thread

After discussing my weight, riding style, riding terrain etc DCR have suggested DT Swiss HX531 rims with Hope Pro 4 hubs and st/steel freehub. Sapim force spokes with black brass double square nipples

All that doesn’t mean much to me as I’ve only ever ridden (and broken) stock wheels, so can only go by the google reviews

Anyone used HX531 rims and if so, any good ?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Just watching this thread out of interest …

I contacted a wheel builder (DCR) after someone recommended them on another thread

After discussing my weight, riding style, riding terrain etc DCR have suggested DT Swiss HX531 rims with Hope Pro 4 hubs and st/steel freehub. Sapim force spokes with black brass double square nipples

All that doesn’t mean much to me as I’ve only ever ridden (and broken) stock wheels, so can only go by the google reviews

Anyone used HX531 rims and if so, any good ?
That's a good all-round solid wheelset. If you're not regularly smashing black runs and aren't overly heavy you could save some cash by going with the E532 rims.

Last edited:

Citius

Sep 24, 2022
Washington DC
My non judgemental argument for anyone saying carbon isn’t worth it is; if you end up replacing basically even one rim a year due to bending or break a rim carbon becomes a serious option.

In 2020 I broke or bent two alloy rims, I have yet to damage one of my WeAreOne rims yet. And they almost never even have spokes come loose.

once you factor in the cost of rebuilding a wheel once or maybe even twice year depending on how much you ride carbon really comes into play as being a affordable option.

Of course if someone doesn’t ride hard or allot then it might not make sense to spend the one on carbon.
The cost is definitely more upfront but I think over a few years the cost of ownership could definitely be less than an alloy option.

Sorry to reboot an old comment but which WAO wheels do you have? I’m looking for a good set and I’m thinking about the strife since it’s DH rated.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Sorry to resurrect, but on the pro 4s on e bikes - is it possible they just aren't designed for e-bikes? I'm looking at an HX531/538 combo on the new pro 5's (one version of which are designed for e-bike use).

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Sorry to resurrect, but on the pro 4s on e bikes - is it possible they just aren't designed for e-bikes? I'm looking at an HX531/538 combo on the new pro 5's (one version of which are designed for e-bike use).
i was reading about the ebike version - it has a steel freehub body and different pawl arrangement-it should be pretty good given price. I just got an I9 hydra enduro s wheel and the high poe makes for really prcise shifting, there is so little lag --but it uses an aluminum freehub so i'm sort of dreading that with the casette cogs destroying it

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
i was reading about the ebike version - it has a steel freehub body and different pawl arrangement-it should be pretty good given price. I just got an I9 hydra enduro s wheel and the high poe makes for really prcise shifting, there is so little lag --but it uses an aluminum freehub so i'm sort of dreading that with the casette cogs destroying it
Yeah, the new pro 5 sounds like quite a big improvement on the 4 (which I loved anyway) - the wheel build comes in at just short of £600 so I'm going to go for it I think. The Marin is a great bike for the money, but you can bet your bottom dollar that like every other manufacturer, the in house wheel set will be where they saved some money on the build. Hopefully I'll feel the difference in ride and possibly battery life - and at least keeping the Marin original set I'll have a spare set of wheels if it all goes wrong. Always good to have spares!

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Yeah, the new pro 5 sounds like quite a big improvement on the 4 (which I loved anyway) - the wheel build comes in at just short of £600 so I'm going to go for it I think. The Marin is a great bike for the money, but you can bet your bottom dollar that like every other manufacturer, the in house wheel set will be where they saved some money on the build. Hopefully I'll feel the difference in ride and possibly battery life - and at least keeping the Marin original set I'll have a spare set of wheels if it all goes wrong. Always good to have spares!

I don't think you'll see any real noticeable difference in battery life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles