Best Emtb Wheelset?.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Maybe, maybe not, not so much the rims but the hope hubs are supposed to have zero drag so it may help and if not?....well .. at least they'll be blue 😁👍
I love the Hope products, but I would have to say it's simply marketing. It there was zero drag you could spin the wheel and it would go forever.....lol

I'm maybe a little jaded from working in the bike industry.....lol
But I have zero trust in the fact that switching from a decent hub to these new Hope's would increase your range. Tires, yes a 100% switching to different compounds will affect the range.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I dont think it would make that much difference or even if it does it would be minor like a couple of miles.

Begs a scientific study.

Last edited:

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I love the Hope products, but I would have to say it's simply marketing. It there was zero drag you could spin the wheel and it would go forever.....lol

I'm maybe a little jaded from working in the bike industry.....lol
But I have zero trust in the fact that switching from a decent hub to these new Hope's would increase your range. Tires, yes a 100% switching to different compounds will affect the range.
Yeah, maybe I was being a bit fan boyey 🙂. Fairly sure I'll notice the bit of weight loss on rotating mass though and that plus hope pro 5s over the stock Shimano ones should be at least some improvement. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Also - my brilliant wheel builder has been onto Hope. Obviously the Marin E2 is a C/Lock rotor, but for some strange reason Hope haven't got this option for the e-bike specific rear pro 5 hub - so he is going to use a 'normal' pro 5 rear hub but swap the alu freehub for the E-bike specific steel one. In effect it'll look like a standard pro 5 rear hub, but the internals will be the beefier e- bike ones and I'll be able to use my existing rotors.
Chuffed with this solution and really surprised Hope haven't got this option for the e-bike pro 5 rear - I didn't want to buy new rotors on top of the expense of the new wheel set.
Great service from Russell at Bike Wheels Direct 👍

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Take a look at WTB HTZ i30 and i40 E-MTB Wheels

Rated for max rider weight of 330 lbs (150 kilos), 6069 aluminum alloy rim, E-bike specific hubs, 6 pawl heat-treated freehub body, and currently available for less than $600 for the HTZ i30 wheelset on Amazon (sold as individual Front and Rear wheels).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles