Levo Gen 3 Best coil shock - Poll

Out of these three, which is the best coil shock for 2022 Gen3 turbo levo?

• Rockshox 2023 Super Deluxe with HBO

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Ohlins TTX22M.2

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • EXT e-Storia

Votes: 48 53.3%

• Total voters

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I watched a video from Ohlins about coil setup and they were guiding you to use a max of two full turns to get desired sag, any more, change the spring. I used this method on my Rail and it worked great.

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I watched a video from Ohlins about coil setup and they were guiding you to use a max of two full turns to get desired sag, any more, change the spring. I used this method on my Rail and it worked great.
I’m not saying more preload is good. But I would personally not feel comfortable disregarding the rockshox minimum of two rotations of preload. Now if we apply the Ohlins rule of max two, we’ve combined to create a rule called “don’t adjust preload” which I find makes no sense. A little preload to put the bike in balance and get the sag makes sense to me. Your bike won’t ride like absolute garbage with a touch extra preload, especially if that means the spring with preload is already a softer one than it would be otherwise. Such soft spring may also be beneficial, as it may be necessary to use the full travel.

I do agree to avoid excessive preload, but not that 2 turns should be a min and max and therefore we shouldn’t adjust it.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
And I’ve just read the Rickshox manual which says to turn preload two full turns. Measure sag, add more turns if sag not correct, do not exceed more than 5 full turns.

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
And I’ve just read the Rickshox manual which says to turn preload two full turns. Measure sag, add more turns if sag not correct, do not exceed more than 5 full turns.
Yeah that’s what I’m basing my starting point of two from

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
@pontoon I’m only quoting what I have seen/ read.

The RS manual agrees with you, ie, add two turns, add no more than 5 to get desired sag.

Im hoping that either the 550 or 525 spring I get between 25 and 30% with only 2 turns.

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA

The RS manual agrees with you, ie, add two turns, add no more than 5 to get desired sag.

Im hoping that either the 550 or 525 spring I get between 25 and 30% with only 2 turns.
Good luck! Seems like a good plan. My only suggestion would be to think about all aspects of bike performance, not just the number of turns. Like full use of travel, balance, turning, etc. I use sag as a starting point but usually play with it to change the feel. On a dirt bike sometimes I’ll actually use sag/preload changes to learn about the balance and then undo those changes and achieve the same effect with another method (raise or lower the forks in the triple clamps, or on our bike maybe alter the geometry/change air spring) if I like the balance changes but not the changes on traction

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
Why do you think that Rockshox have a minimum of at least two turns of preload?
Multiple Sram manuals have the procedure listed as step 1, add two turns, then go up to 5, no more.

Also it’s even printed on the preload collar.
CA0CCBFD-8F6D-4E1C-9737-25A6EA145B60.jpeg

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
The question was: "Why do you think that Rockshox have a minimum of at least two turns of preload?"
I’m not going to dignify this with a response. Communicate more clearly if you want specific info.

This thread is getting a little too rude for me. Good luck with your suspension folks

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
I don’t like faffing with rear shocks and want a fit and forget coil.
Avalanche Suspension. They will custom build your coil to your bike, riding weight, riding style and terrain. Pricing is competitive with buying a Fox or RockShox Coil of the shelf with WAAAAAAAY better performance! It's legit and won't be out the $$$$ that eStoria will cost you.

You can find them on Facebook or Avalanche Suspension

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Most compitant tuners don't care about sag.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Avalanche Suspension. They will custom build your coil to your bike, riding weight, riding style and terrain. Pricing is competitive with buying a Fox or RockShox Coil of the shelf with WAAAAAAAY better performance! It's legit and won't be out the $$$$ that eStoria will cost you.

This.
I have an avalanche Woodie shock and hybrid coil damper for my boxxer. It's the best suspension I've ever ridden.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Good luck! Seems like a good plan. My only suggestion would be to think about all aspects of bike performance, not just the number of turns. Like full use of travel, balance, turning, etc. I use sag as a starting point but usually play with it to change the feel. On a dirt bike sometimes I’ll actually use sag/preload changes to learn about the balance and then undo those changes and achieve the same effect with another method (raise or lower the forks in the triple clamps, or on our bike maybe alter the geometry/change air spring) if I like the balance changes but not the changes on traction
Curious if the same shock behavior from a dirt bike plays the same on an MTB? On a dirt bike you’re already into the shock travel with just the sprung weight of the bike, and that sag goes up with the rider on it. On an MTB the shock is near topped out as it sits and sag comes into play when the rider sits on it.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Why do you think that Rockshox have a minimum of at least two turns of preload?
Could this be if they are expecting the spring to settle in a bit and/or trying the get enough tension on the threaded collar so it doesn’t want to move under use? (RS has no collar retention?)

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal

I entered a serial number for this shock in the Rock Shox Trailhead App for a 190lb rider at 30% sag, Ebike and it recommends a 600lb spring for the starting point. 28% sag spring increases to a 650lb spring.
Download the app and enter this serial # and click on the tuning tab to see what I’m looking at. 44T26222483

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent

The EXT is also custom tuned to your weight, riding style, bike kinematics etc same as Ohlins can be

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
This is what Trailhead recommends for me. 😳

One thing missing from this app is the type of linkage.

IMG_4194.jpeg

RickS

Sep 30, 2018
Wrexham

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Yes….It seems that calculator does not take into account the leverage ratio of the rear suspension as you don’t enter bike type or shock stroke.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Shock arrived today. Tftuned fitted a 600 spring 😳🤯 which only gives me about 22% sag. Have ordered a 500 and 550 which will hopefully arrive on Saturday in time for a ride on Sunday.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Shock arrived today. Tftuned fitted a 600 spring 😳🤯 which only gives me about 22% sag. Have ordered a 500 and 550 which will hopefully arrive on Saturday in time for a ride on Sunday.
What’s your weight TF usually add weight of motor & battery to your weight to calculate spring, have you tired it with the 600 spring?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’m 86kg.
Yes I tried it. Fitted it then tested sag. The 600 is way too stiff, I could tell as soon as I sat on the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles