Levo Gen 3 Best coil shock - Poll

Out of these three, which is the best coil shock for 2022 Gen3 turbo levo?

• Rockshox 2023 Super Deluxe with HBO

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Ohlins TTX22M.2

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • EXT e-Storia

Votes: 47 52.8%

• Total voters

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi. Do you notice the benefits of the HBO on your '23 RS SD Coil? Are you on the stock linkage?
My RS is on its way. I'm getting fed up with fighting the bottom out on my air.

Lastly, what's your weight and coil spring rate on your RS? Thanks
Sorry, I have EXT e-Storia on my bike. HBO works very well in it and I think also in RS Coil.
But if I were to buy a new one now, it would be an RS Coil.

And yes on stock linkage.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
Just put a MRP Hazzard with progressive spring on my Giant e reign. I was looking for better handling over rough chunky trrrain in the mountains and I got it! Half dozen rides so far and I just made my first adjustment from what the factory set it up for. Seems like I’ll find my settings and forget about it which is just fine after always checking the air pressure in my RS air shock.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
There is something special about a custom tune. Go the ext.

That said why not the arma? I dont see the point of pro pedal platform on an e bike.
I had my EXT E-Storia setup for harsh rocky fast downhill and the lever gives it more of a mellow playful trail setting for my Kenevo SL. Both tunes are quite close to what I need, just have to change fork settings between the two for balance. I actually do like the trail mode for climbing, less bucking on tech climbs, which I suck at.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Did my first run today on the RS Coil 23. As I already said, had the shock before on my KSL and my Raaw Madonna.
It really does what you are expected it should. More planted feel on blown out singeltrails etc. I did some runs on my RS Air 23 and then on the same trail with the coil. However, I liked both shocks, perhaps the Air a little bit more, cause it is a bit more „touchy“ and I really like that on the Levo.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I don’t like faffing with rear shocks and want a fit and forget coil.
You didn't like my answer. Has this thread led you to the best all rounder?

FWIW, I've been running an EXT Arma for something like 2 years. It significantly smoothed out the washboard chatter on my regular trail, which is exactly why I wanted to try a coil. But is it the best coil for me? I have no idea. It's the only coil I've ridden.

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I have a 2023 Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil. Coming from the dirt bike world, the preload collar is always a locking part. It seems like the rockshox ring is just spun into place and stays in place by friction only? Seems sketchy to me, especially given how little preload an mtb needs.

Is it true that the mtb doesnt need a locking preload collar (lock ring or clamp)? Or am I installing mine incorrectly?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
My EXT has a set screw (grub screw) to lock the preload plate.

The coilovers on my car use a second locking ring, FWIW. I would not be happy relying on friction alone.

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I’m thinking I might make a match mark as you say, plus add a little bit of low strength thread locker just so I can sleep easier

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CjP

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Both of my Ohlins TTX22 shocks have delrin set screws on the spring collar….

Last edited by a moderator:

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Got the EXT and the Oehlins. Respect to everyone who rides good enough to be faster with any of the two or who can feel any difference at all. Given the same coil, they are interachangable between the two shocks.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Had the old RS coil on different bikes and the new also, and I had never ever a problem with a moving collar etc. when preload set correct 2-5 turns.

RiderOnTheStorm

Have been using the RS coil as well, preloaded with 2 turns and 25% sag. Haven't seen any loosening of the preload collar (ring) after 1.5 years.

To check about this, I initially rotated and positioned the collar so that the "2-5 turns" mark would be at the top, vertically. That way it's rather easy to detect any unwanted rotation if the mark is no longer sitting vertically. But I didn't observe any movement.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The Ohlins would look best, it’s yellow and would match the Magura’s.

IMG_3966.jpeg

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I considered the Ohlins but the Rockshox is cheaper in the US and also has better parts and service availability I believe. Plus the rockshox has HBO, which I believe the Ohlins does not

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Think I’m opting for the RS SD.
Will a 57.5 - 65MM spring work on the 210x55 shock?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Think I’m opting for the RS SD.
Will a 57.5 - 65MM spring work on the 210x55 shock?

Yes, as long as your spring can compress before the coils hit each other at least as far as your shock stroke, it’ll be fine.

TF Tuned mention it on their listing for the 57.5-65mm RS Spring as also being suitable for 2.25” and 2.50” shocks. 55mm is roughly 2.20”.

It would be slightly different on a progressive spring, as the weight of the spring varies with compression, but for a linear spring as long as it physically fits and doesn’t bind, you’re good.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’ve read a view reviews on the RS SD and some mention the rebound is too slow. J-Tech fit a different component that ‘fixes’ this.

Thoughts from existing users?

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I’ve read a view reviews on the RS SD and some mention the rebound is too slow. J-Tech fit a different component that ‘fixes’ this.

Rebounds feels fine to me and I could make it faster if I felt like it. I’m not fast though. Are you getting the RS? Just try it stock if you’re getting it and see if it’s good

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany

Rebound will work just fine. Opened mine 5-7 clicks from closed with a 500 Spring and 80 KG like the air RS. So there will be enough room for more clicks.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Rebounds feels fine to me and I could make it faster if I felt like it. I’m not fast though. Are you getting the RS? Just try it stock if you’re getting it and see if it’s good
Yes, Getting the RS. Just trying to figure out spring rate now. I’m 86kg riding weight, TF tuned suggest to add about 5kg for ebike, that puts me at about 568lbs plush 33% and 600lbs for firm 28% sag

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
The tftuned calculator gave me a spring rate of 328 (yes I’m light) using the 28% sag setting. I did 350 since that’s as low as I saw from MRP. It works fine for me.

I’m currently running maybe 25% or a tiny bit less. I might increase the sag but it still feels fine as is

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles