Beginner to natural trails

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Hi all
I've been riding my ebike for about a year now and been to a variety of trail centres or done some local rides, with and without others, but I want to branch out now. I was looking at routes on Pedalnorth which look good but I'm not confident about finding my way. I can download gpx and follow that, but are they really reliable? Is it easy to get lost? I worry about that, and something going wrong in the middle of nowhere. I can change a flat, but that's it...I don't even know what else could break.

Any advice on that please?

I'm also unsure how difficult rides will be. When they're described as difficult, I don't always know if that means they're technical, or it's due to distance and ascent (which doesn't really matter to me on a ebike!). I don't want to find myself on routes with difficult technical sections that I can't get down.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Hard to answer without knowing just how you ride. Might be best joining a ride - check the Rideouts section on here. Also if you spot a route, ask the question on here. Someone may have ridden it and can provide more detail.

As you are in Yorkshire (doesn't say where in the vast area it covers), there are plenty of rides in the Dales, some of which we do as a group - Dentdale, etc. Off-road, cross country fun. I wouldn't call it difficult but there are some serious ascents and descents.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
If you're a Strava user, you can switch into the map view during a ride. Trails ridden by other people will show as blue lines on the map, the more riders, the more lines. It's a handy way to navigate if you get a bit lost on a ride.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I also get lost quite often but I have started using Komoot along with OS maps
My Cube has the Bosch smart system so Komoot displays the ride on my Kiox 300 display and acts as a sat nav which is really useful, I find the trouble using my phone to navigate is the battery doesn't last the ride when the display is illuminated all the time.
I quite often ride the North Yorkshire moors and Clay bank car park is a good starting point, there's a lot to choose from depending on experience/ability from gravel to some quite technical bridleways

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Hard to answer without knowing just how you ride. Might be best joining a ride - check the Rideouts section on here. Also if you spot a route, ask the question on here. Someone may have ridden it and can provide more detail.

As you are in Yorkshire (doesn't say where in the vast area it covers), there are plenty of rides in the Dales, some of which we do as a group - Dentdale, etc. Off-road, cross country fun. I wouldn't call it difficult but there are some serious ascents and descents.
Thanks. I’m in West Yorkshire. Group rides would be ideal really. I do blues at trail centres (plus red at Pines) but not confident when it’s rocky or steep, or very muddy. Or when it’s really narrow🫣. I like flowy and nice scenery.

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
If you're a Strava user, you can switch into the map view during a ride. Trails ridden by other people will show as blue lines on the map, the more riders, the more lines. It's a handy way to navigate if you get a bit lost on a ride.
I’ve only got the free version, not sure I’d I have that option. I’ll have to have a look. Don’t mind paying if it’s something I’d use a lot. When I’ve used GPX files I use Komoot.

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
I also get lost quite often but I have started using Komoot along with OS maps
My Cube has the Bosch smart system so Komoot displays the ride on my Kiox 300 display and acts as a sat nav which is really useful, I find the trouble using my phone to navigate is the battery doesn't last the ride when the display is illuminated all the time.
I quite often ride the North Yorkshire moors and Clay bank car park is a good starting point, there's a lot to choose from depending on experience/ability from gravel to some quite technical bridleways
Ah mine doesn’t have that. I’m on. Trek Powerfly 5. I take a Powerbank for my phone.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I’ve only got the free version, not sure I’d I have that option. I’ll have to have a look. Don’t mind paying if it’s something I’d use a lot. When I’ve used GPX files I use Komoot.
The free version has this feature. Just tap the map icon when recording.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Is it easy to get lost?

something going wrong in the middle of nowhere.

I'm also unsure how difficult rides will be.

I"ll let you in on a little secret. Those are questions that we all ask ourselves before any new adventure. Anyone with any bit of experience has been lost, has had a broken bike miles from civilization, and has found themselves in the middle of nowhere on a trail that is far more difficult than their ability allows. We might not like it when it's happening, but it's the stuff adventures are made of. And those are the tales that will get you the Sheilas in the pub after the ride.

My advice is to start with small adventures with an intended route that you expect is well within your ability. Not every ride has to be epic. Choose something where you could walk out if necessary. Look at the route on Trailforks or Google Earth. Figure it out. On the ride, bring sufficient water. If it's super cold and there's a chance you might spend the night, bring a space-blanket bivy sack. They weigh a few ounces. Bring nutrition. Bonking will wreck your strength, stamina, and mental acuity. A light can make the difference between sleeping in your own bed and sleeping in the dirt.

Like I said at the beginning, start with small rides. And if it's too technical, walk it. And always tell someone of your intended route, intended time of return, and the time when they need to call the authorities.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Bimbleball If you are comfortable with the red at Pines, then why not extend your range by going off-piste? Look out for the Pines guided rides in the "Rideouts" section. Here is the last one. Pics at the end.

trialsta

Feb 14, 2023
Birmingham
Even within marked trail centres the difficultly of the trails differs wildly, the Pines red wouldn't even be classed as a red at other places around the UK.
Looking ahead, reading the trail difficultly and deciding if it's doable is just one of the skills we're all constantly learning and improving. There's no shame in jumping off to push down a section you're not confident about and then carrying on, we all do it occasionally!

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
@Bimbleball If you are comfortable with the red at Pines, then why not extend your range by going off-piste? Look out for the Pines guided rides in the "Rideouts" section. Here is the last one. Pics at the end.

I don’t know, just the description of off-piste sounds like it would be difficult!

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Even within marked trail centres the difficultly of the trails differs wildly, the Pines red wouldn't even be classed as a red at other places around the UK.
Looking ahead, reading the trail difficultly and deciding if it's doable is just one of the skills we're all constantly learning and improving. There's no shame in jumping off to push down a section you're not confident about and then carrying on, we all do it occasionally!
Oh yeah, that’s why I went on the red there, I’d heard that about it. Thinking of trying the red at Dalby next though, need to watch some videos of what it’s like. As long as I can get safely down, past or around obstacles, I’m fine. Don’t want to slow others down either.

Mumraa

Dec 14, 2022
Arrochar
for venturing off the routes marked on various apps like Trailforks, in remote locations knowing how to read an Ordnance Survey map is important. Huge amount of info on these maps if you know how to read them. Also how to use a compass. If your’e unfamiliar with OS maps and how to navigate take a course from a hill walkers perspective. Mountaineering Scotland do some excellent courses for all abilities and there will be equivalents in England. Lookup Mountain Training on Google and search for a course near you. The reason I think OS maps (and equivilant in other countries) is the info you can interpret about what you’re likely to expect. Say you’ve found a walking path you’d like to try (we can use them for biking in Scotland). You’ll get the gradient in contours plus a ton of other info about the terrain, is it boggy, craggy, or is it through those annoying grassy noles. So much more. Your chosen path will be passing through this terrain. Paths marked on the map are often not so clear for real or obvious for real. Hence why knowing how to use a map with a compass is vital for anyone wanting to feel confident venturing ‘off piste’ in remote areas like the York’s dales or peaks. Whether you’re on foot or biking. Factor in bad vis you’ll be pleased your basic training helps you trust the map and compass and ignore the physical impulses your body is telling you to ‘go that way’! Learning these skills will
give you confidence to explore places. In Scotland I think we have mountain bike specific training for wild riding but the principles are the same for hill walking (notwithstanding the bike skills). Just remember the resolution of your map is important. And it takes a little time/experience to learn how to interpret what the contour info means for your route. Also distances between gradients might mean there is a steep scrambling section not shown on the map. But knowing what the terrain is alongside the path combined with the gradient will allow you to make a risk assessment. I use the OS app and a premium subscription which gives me both 25k and 50k on my iPhone. Plus I use a Garmin gps with the same maps and sat messaging. So reassuring knowing I can get help if needed and no phone signal. I do use trailforks and other apps but wouldn’t rely on these to give me the right info I need to assess whether it’s a route I’d feel comfortable with. Plus there are so many other routes not listed on these apps that you’ll miss.
Hope this helps.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don’t know, just the description of off-piste sounds like it would be difficult!
On every group ride that I do, when it comes to "features" there is mostly a way around it. When there isn't, then it can be walked. I have never lost anyone yet. You will be fine, the magic power of "the group" will boost your skills and self-confidence. (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles