What is the easiest, most natural feeling emtb to pedal without assist?

ChrisDT

May 10, 2023
Colorado
Hi -

One of the appealing factors, to me, for an emtb is that it gets me out more and allows me to cycle where ordinarily my fitness or strength would not allow. That said, I want to work on my fitness and strength, and I want to force myself to pedal without assist as much as possible until fatigue sets in and then switch to assist.

In light of that, does anyone have recommendations or opinions on which emtb offers the best assist-free experience most akin to pedalling a regular mtb? I would assume weight (along with gear ratio) is the primary factor but then there are other factors such as introduced drag etc.

Any opinions or suggestions of which emtb I should look at in light of those criteria?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Going to be the Trek Levo SL or any of the Fazua 60 equipped bikes (I.e., Relay, Shuttle SL, etc.)

The TQ HP 50 motored bikes (I.e., Trek EX-E) should be good, but some report otherwise.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Are you trying to start an argument :p😉

There will be lots of different views and opinions .. so be prepared ! :)

If you want it to "feel" more like a regular, then a lighter weight bike will feel more like a regular bike, especially with the power off. TQ motor bikes, Fazua motor bikes, Mahle 1.1/1.2 (Spesh SL bikes) Carbon Orbea Rise's. Bafang M820 bikes (look in the bafang/diy threads)

Strength and Fitness are both different things though and can be worked on differently.

If you bought a Full fat 25kg bike and rode it mainly with the motor off - you'd be one Strong dude ! Think of it like weight training !

Fitness, ie, heart/lungs - any EMTB can be used. If you're already a pretty fit guy, then most likely it will be your muscles which cause you to slow down first - at that point engaging any assistance will help and you can keep your heart rate elevated and controlled for longer.

But what kind of riding do you want to do. Trails, more Enduro, DH ? This will also have an influence.

Will you end up riding with others on EMTB's ? Are they on Full fat (full power) bikes or lightweight bikes.

Remember, a Full fat/full power bike, doesn't mean you have to ride everywhere in Turbo. You can ride in Eco and still put in as much effort as you want, you'll just be going faster than you would on an ordinary bike.

North woods gal

Mar 21, 2023
north woods of Wisconsin
As mentioned, I have the Specialized Turbo Levo SL (super light) and the way I have it set up it only weighs about 6 pounds more than my other FS 29ers. It also has exactly the same gearing. It rides very much like my other FS 29ers. I can tell a little difference in the balance with the weight of the motor down at the bottom bracket area, but I actually like it. Gives the Levo more of a planted feel. Bottom line for me is that I often do rides on the Levo SL without even bothering to turn on the motor. That little bit of assist is very useful at times, though. Perfect match for the XC type of trails I ride.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I look at it s different way. Stuff riding an ebike without any assist on. I might aswell br riding my mountain bike. That's way more fun and playfull without assist.

I ride with full power on and ride harder and faster! Doing more laps. Getting twice as much climbs and descents in the same session.

Go for maximum fun and maximum speed. Top out on the speed limiter and then try and push more mph.

You dont need to pedal assist off to push yourself.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I like the honesty of the guy from embn that says if he gets to the trail center and finds that, for any reason, the bike does not turn on, he will drive back home.
There is no sense in riding an emtb without assistance.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I like the honesty of the guy from embn that says if he gets to the trail center and finds that, for any reason, the bike does not turn on, he will drive back home.
There is no sense in riding an emtb without assistance.
I've ridden my Levo SL without any assistance a few times. Mainly on rides with non-Ebikes. If you aren't up against really fit riders and going at a casual pace it's fine with the assistance off.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I've ridden my Levo SL without any assistance a few times. Mainly on rides with non-Ebikes. If you aren't up against really fit riders and going at a casual pace it's fine with the assistance off.
I often ride my Trek Rail on the road with assistance off, you really don't need it especially those of you with 25kph limits. Point it uphill and its assistance all the way for me.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I look at it s different way. Stuff riding an ebike without any assist on. I might aswell br riding my mountain bike. That's way more fun and playfull without assist.

I ride with full power on and ride harder and faster! Doing more laps. Getting twice as much climbs and descents in the same session.

Go for maximum fun and maximum speed. Top out on the speed limiter and then try and push more mph.

You dont need to pedal assist off to push yourself.
If your putting 250 watts of your own power do you use more or less calories if in turbo as apposed eco

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
If your putting 250 watts of your own power do you use more or less calories if in turbo as apposed eco
I guess the answer to that is the same calories. You would have to ease off in turbo and use less watts to use less calories.

Personally I think people over think it. Get out there and ride, have fun, ride some more. The more you ride the fitter you get.

Go faster in turbo mode or go the same speed with less power levels...

The key Is to get out there more often and enjoy.

If find I need 3 solid rides per week to retain fitness.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
If you definitely stuck to 250 watts, no matter what assistance you select you would burn the same calories. Same power in so same calories burnt. What would likely happen is on a lower power setting though, is you would put in more effort, plus it depends on the time that you put in the effort. If it was for a set distance for the different levels of assistance you would burn more at the lower settings because you would be sticking to the 250 watts for longer.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Getting back to the question your asking it's probably a lite but the best answer to the question is start with bikes that people are saying are try them yourself and go from there!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

Agreed, my KSL rides really well with the motor off. If im riding with non ebikers I'll click it off and only turn it up when my fatness kicks in

Wodger63

Apr 18, 2022
Australia
Old thread but I thought I would post anyway, maybe start a different angle of discussion.
I'm old/er 60, I don't like too much assistance and prefer a more natural feel to my peddling.
I try and keep my heart rate between 130-150 so I add or reduce assistance accordingly.
I use eco a lot on the flats which I feel is just enough to compensate for the drag of fat tyres and motor.
Although my bike is derestricted, I don't exploit it, I just like how it avoids that cutting in and out at 25kph where it seems my heart rate, watts and speed all come together.
I think you can get a natural feel if you're at the right cadence and power level but you will end up with a higher average speed regardless.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles