What % of assist is everyone using?

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
So I just started riding a 2020 Levo (first eMTB) and I’m trying to dial in my levels of assist. The factory settings seem too high for me so I’ve dropped eco down to 25%. I try to ride in eco as much as possible so I can still get a good workout and so far I don’t feel like I’m getting enough exercise while I ride on the factory settings. The bike is heavy though so I think dropping it down below 20% would make the bike too sluggish. Does anyone have some ninja settings I can use as a template?

1415E188-2FA1-4575-A045-374FDA772C4E.jpeg

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
TURBO all day. That’s why don’t need a big monster Purion display like on the new Bosch motor. It’s set it and forget it. Just need to set it and look at battery indicator. Leave it on Turbo.

I don’t use turbo on trails. It makes riding way too easy for me. I can totally see the reason for doing this, but my time is limited and I want to maximize it by getting a workout while ripping on my bike.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I don’t use turbo on trails. It makes riding way too easy for me. I can totally see the reason for doing this, but my time is limited and I want to maximize it by getting a workout while ripping on my bike.
Yep, my friends are in such great shape that they just turn their motors off.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A lot depends on the terrain you ride....how long you rids for, and how far you go. My settings are prioritised on getting to the downhill or cimb sections I like as quick as possible and saving my energy for them. I typically ride for about 3 hours. The techy up or downhills are where all my energy goes. The downhills involve little pedal power....going back up the downhills some moderate pedal power, doing the mega climbs a lot even in turbo. So my settings will probably be of no interest if your rides are completely different. I use 25/50, 50/100, 100/100.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
With my Scott I have dialed back Trail and Turbo to the lowest settings and have left them at that. I ride Eco most places and Trail on climbs except for a couple steep walls I hit turbo for.
On the Levo all settings are default and I find myself riding Trail more often as Eco just makes it feel like a heavy bike & why the hell would I want to pedal a heavy bike? Eco is only for cruisy touring IMHO with the Levo.

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
TURBO all day. That’s why don’t need a big monster Purion display like on the new Bosch motor. It’s set it and forget it. Just need to set it and look at battery indicator. Leave it on Turbo.

This has been my deal for the first few rides so far - just got my 2020 Levo 1.5 weeks ago. I have very limited time to ride, so I’m into maximum fun at this point. I did a great ride today, from my house to the trail, hit two peaks and valleys in between and back to my house in an hour and 15 minutes. 18 miles, 1400 feet total elevation. Pics below from the two peaks. What a blast.

I’ll probably start using more lower levels of support eventually, and especially when riding with friends. But if I’m on my own for a fun ride on limited time, I think it’s going to be Turbo all the way!

F81C9272-8DA9-4BB7-B1A4-44B6E1329E6E.jpeg
4E3BCD70-4AF8-43AD-9017-C5E6BF41B0F9.jpeg

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
It's funny how you can own a "2020" bike yet 2020 is more than 3 months away haha, but yeah, set up maybe like 15-90, 30-90, 60-90. Each doubling the last works very well.
Yep, not 2020 yet, the bike is, but the motor is still the same as it was in 2018 from this time last year.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
It's funny how you can own a "2020" bike yet 2020 is more than 3 months away

Yep, not 2020 yet, the bike is, but the motor is still the same as it was in 2018 from this time last year.

Back when I was a young MX racer and doing lots of test riding we were testing motors 2 or 3 models ahead of the release year. Testing the complete RM125B which was the 4th model before the first model was released, but the first 2 (the RM125M/S) both came out the same year. Used to laugh about 1/2 year model runs. I think the '78 250 motor was run in an old TM frame for 3-6 months before the first RM250 hit the shop floor.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Ive had shuttle mode on 100% pretty much since I brought it....am I missing out on anything?
Can anyone explain in the simplest of ways the difference between shuttle on and off?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
To be fair @Zimmerframe I think they have regressed. Was forced into retirement when I was 19 due to an industrial accident. Came out of retirement accidentally in my mid 30's and made it back to our National class before a huge crash reminded me that my body did not bounce as it did when I was a teen. Speaking of that, still bloody sore from my Tuesday crash on the Levo.
Anyhoo - hopped on a CRF450 last year after no MX for close to 20 years and was fast enough after 3 x 20 minute sessions to be able to run mid pack in the clubmans class .... but scared sh witless at the speeds I was doing. Was ALL bike with very little rider.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
I use the BLevo app (like many others here with a Levo) and you can use Smart Power mode. This allows you to set an amount of power that your legs provide - say 200 watts - then after that the bike provides assistance. That assistance can be dynamically variable too.

This way, you get a workout but when you need some assistance getting up hills it will provide it.

Worth a look imho.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ive had shuttle mode on 100% pretty much since I brought it....am I missing out on anything?
Can anyone explain in the simplest of ways the difference between shuttle on and off?
I have shuttle on zero. As far as I can tell shuttle is a different algorithm in the software that changes the power delivery balance between cafence and torque to favour cadence more. The net effect is very little crank pressure provided you use a low gear and high cadence. For anything other than a continuous steady climb you are reducing the bikes feedback of power when you increase torque on the cranks so in my book not a good idea to use shutyle other than for its intended purpose.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Simply, Shuttle mode is Turbo without having to provide much input onto the pedal. Therefore the bike does nearly all the work, one just has to move the pedal. It’s great for getting home after an exhausting ride.

Jirka_S

Sep 8, 2019
Czech
Carbon Expert 2020:
15/25
40/45
100/100
Most of all trips on Eco, later, when more tired after a few hours, I'm using more often the Trail. On roads I do almost 200 km, in mountains with elevation gain close to 2 km and in difficult terrain I do about 100 km. :)

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I have been meaning to put up a new thread asking about this actually, but guess this one here is enough on topic to ask here instead...

Levo Shuttle mode - the button on the bar remote - will it always turn on shuttle mode and 100/100 if you push it regardless what other settings you have set for the three modes and shuttle mode % in those?

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I have been meaning to put up a new thread asking about this actually, but guess this one here is enough on topic to ask here instead...

Levo Shuttle mode - the button on the bar remote - will it always turn on shuttle mode and 100/100 if you push it regardless what other settings you have set for the three modes and shuttle mode % in those?

I.E would you in reality actually have 4 modes counting that button?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I.E would you in reality actually have 4 modes counting that button?
There is no button for shuttle mode. It is a setting in the mission control app which applies to all 3 modes..eco trail turbo. If you keep the slider in the app at 0% a normal set of algorithms in the software control power delivered from the motor using the torque and cadence sensors to make that feel as predictable and functional as possible. As you move the shuttle slider in the app towards 100% you effectively alter those software algorithms such that power delivery is influenced progressively more by cadence than torque.
The setying is designed mainly for circumstances when you want to gain easy access to power without leg strain and are prepared to spin at a high cadence. So a diy shuttle up a fireroad in a trail centre is a good example.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
There is no button for shuttle mode. It is a setting in the mission control app which applies to all 3 modes..eco trail turbo. If you keep the slider in the app at 0% a normal set of algorithms in the software control power delivered from the motor using the torque and cadence sensors to make that feel as predictable and functional as possible. As you move the shuttle slider in the app towards 100% you effectively alter those software algorithms such that power delivery is influenced progressively more by cadence than torque.
The setting is designed mainly for circumstances when you want to gain easy access to power without leg strain and are prepared to spin at a high cadence. So a diy shuttle up a fireroad in a trail center is a good example.

Well, I hate to disagree with you but I'm talking about this button, that the dealer says is for shuttle mode... (He might be wrong , as I haven't got mine yet and not tested)

On the front of the remote controller... complete opposite side of it from the walk assist button if you like...

1569004219503.png

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Isn't that the 'turbo' button - hit that, full turbo mode, instead of clicking up on the + button to get to turbo..? it is on mine..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On mine it's the "turbo" selector .. but it might be if you have it configured in a certain way it toggles shuttle ??? I'm on a 1.3 motor so I don't have shuttle.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles