Battery range on 500wh not what I was hoping

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
how long have you got ??? :D:D:D

f*ck all spares, no tools, no pump, no spare tube, no waterproofs, no legs, no lungs... nothing :D

Good lad - I wonder how much additional mileage you've got out of your battery through not carrying all that tut - perhaps you are on to something! I'm ditching my bat belt for my next ride out, following your success.... top job!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm adding 3kg to my pack for my next ride, should double my range though...

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Better there than on the drive home... :oops:

aye but im very very fortunate to live right next to the trails.. the forest behind my house is the venue for a couple of enduro races, a couple of mtb races and loads of other stuff like the Wales GB rally..

I also have a 8 person airbnb, full workshop and a million other famous trails like BPW, sarn helen, strata florida, afan, the gap, cwm rhaedr etc etc... I usually close the airbnb during winter but I was thinking of opening it up to ebikers if there is any interest.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
aye but im very very fortunate to live right next to the trails.. the forest behind my house is the venue for a couple of enduro races, a couple of mtb races and loads of other stuff like the Wales GB rally..

I also have a 8 person airbnb, full workshop and a million other famous trails like BPW, sarn helen, strata florida, afan, the gap, cwm rhaedr etc etc... I usually close the airbnb during winter but I was thinking of opening it up to ebikers if there is any interest.

What a stonking advert! Plenty of tripadvisors, waiting to soil your sheets, I'm sure..
Wait! This has nothing to do with your impending purchase of an additional battery does it? :unsure:

Will you charge extra, for these guided rides that you confidently speak about? Or are you simply looking for assistance, in getting back home, for free? ;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
What a stonking advert! Plenty of tripadvisors, waiting to soil your sheets, I'm sure..
Wait! This has nothing to do with your impending purchase of an additional battery does it? :unsure:

Will you charge extra, for these guided rides that you confidently speak about? Or are you simply looking for assistance, in getting back home, for free? ;)

what guided rides am I confidently speaking about ? I can show you around Wales if you want !

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
sounds about right. My mate is 12kg lighter than me and invariably uses 15/20 % less battery than me on exactly the same rides.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
He rides a Speccy - of course he has not only range anxiety, but stress as to whether or not his steed will complete the ride.

@Rusty - don't get @dobbyhasfriends stressing about his 'length issues'. or being able to 'finish off a ride'.. The fella has already admitted, he doesn't bother to carry any rubber, should he strike lucky, out on his trails.. ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
sounds about right. My mate is 12kg lighter than me and invariably uses 15/20 % less battery than me on exactly the same rides.

Ken just looks much more natural and flowy ... PLUS, he falls off less - you waste a lot of power getting going again from a fall :) ... I should know :)

Reactions: 118

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
No! But to come to those numbers I only use the power to substitute the Levos weight and if my heart rate goes above 90% of HRmax (THX to BLEvo App). As a result I am much fitter on top of the hill but not much faster than with my normal Trailbike.
Baffled by this.. why are you riding an ebike vs a normal bike if this is how you ride? Genuinely curious.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I only get about 20% further in Eco than Turbo !
You do pedal? No, I don't mean just spinning the cranks a few times a minute but actually pedal the fonking thing :whistle:

Try resetting your power. I just use Mission control to set those and don't bother with Blevo or any other app.

Eco - 15/30
Trail - 30/60
Turbo - 100/100

On an average ride I might click Turbo once or twice if I screw up and forget to downshift enough - otherwise Eco with Trail for climbs.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You do pedal? No, I don't mean just spinning the cranks a few times a minute but actually pedal the fonking thing :whistle:

You've completely lost me there .. Pedal ? There's the gear pedal .. and the rear brake pedal .. :)

Yup .. I did the reset - that gave me a good chunk more distance and anyone with a potential range issue should try the mission control reset.

BUT - On Turbo and leaving it on Turbo I get on average 30k's (nope, I don't ride like that all the time) My highest "Eco only" on various attempted settings is 45k. (which is my highest, not my average). Normally these average out at 1200m climbing ish. Though yesterday I was flat after only 400m climbing, but it was very muddy.

I think if you have "undulating" - either little undulations or big undulations - you eat power.

My other theory is this : (the figures aren't exact they're just representative for visualisation)

If I'm in Eco, it's generally more of a plod - yes, I'll still go as fast as I can, so I'm normally using eco to it's highest - but it's still a plod. Lets say you're plodding up a hill at 5kph and using 120w. If I was in Turbo I'd be using say 600w, but I'd be doing 20kph - for whatever psychological/physiological effect, when I'm in Turbo - we work better together and MY average power output is higher than when I'm in Eco. (I'm puny, so Blevo says I only add 500w on the power meter).

Now if you look at that situation. To get up the hill in Eco would take me 10 minutes using an average of 120w. The same hill in Turbo and I'd get up it in 2.5 minutes using an average 600w.

So whilst I'm using a lot more power, I'm going a lot faster, So yes, I'm using 5 times the power per second, but cover 4 times the distance per second. So the Wh/Km is not actually that massively different. And ... IT'S A LOT MORE FUN ! :)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
MY average power output is higher than when I'm in Eco. (I'm puny, so Blevo says I only add 500w on the power meter).
That definitely is not a puny average or peak for that matter...in fact I know a few team principals who'd like to know if you're free next July ? :) Whatever the number, you're a powerhouse mate.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
You've completely lost me there .. Pedal ? There's the gear pedal .. and the rear brake pedal .. :)

Yup .. I did the reset - that gave me a good chunk more distance and anyone with a potential range issue should try the mission control reset.

BUT - On Turbo and leaving it on Turbo I get on average 30k's (nope, I don't ride like that all the time) My highest "Eco only" on various attempted settings is 45k. (which is my highest, not my average). Normally these average out at 1200m climbing ish. Though yesterday I was flat after only 400m climbing, but it was very muddy.

I think if you have "undulating" - either little undulations or big undulations - you eat power.

My other theory is this : (the figures aren't exact they're just representative for visualisation)

If I'm in Eco, it's generally more of a plod - yes, I'll still go as fast as I can, so I'm normally using eco to it's highest - but it's still a plod. Lets say you're plodding up a hill at 5kph and using 120w. If I was in Turbo I'd be using say 600w, but I'd be doing 20kph - for whatever psychological/physiological effect, when I'm in Turbo - we work better together and MY average power output is higher than when I'm in Eco. (I'm puny, so Blevo says I only add 500w on the power meter).

Now if you look at that situation. To get up the hill in Eco would take me 10 minutes using an average of 120w. The same hill in Turbo and I'd get up it in 2.5 minutes using an average 600w.

So whilst I'm using a lot more power, I'm going a lot faster, So yes, I'm using 5 times the power per second, but cover 4 times the distance per second. So the Wh/Km is not actually that massively different. And ... IT'S A LOT MORE FUN ! :)
My Blevo stats says after rides that the lower motor assistance wh/km is the higher biker energy wh/km is. So if we can assume that the total enegry needed to ride for example 50 km ride is constant at any speed, the more I have battery left at the end when using lower assistance level. When speaking about range I do think it differs a lot between eco and turbo.

But I got your point. And yes I love using turbo in up hills keeping the speed gained. It is fun.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
motor power output does not equate in a linear fashion to motor power consumption. There are other factors such as friction, air resistance, momentum, transmission loss and heat that impact on the relationship. In essence you get the most bang for your buck ( output v battery consumption) when the motor is operating at its most efficient. Low assist levels are therefore not necessarily the answer for most speed/performance for least battery consumption. The best ratio is when the gearing and assist level enables the optimum cadence which invariably means less pressure felt at the cranks.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
picked up my Levo yesterday and took it out today, its a 2019 carbon comp (500wh)
done 24 miles and 800m of climbing, used eco and trail only with a few road sections with the motor off.
the battery was completely gone when I got back. The beacons is quite rough though, lots of it was baby head long grass..
is this normal range? I was expecting more..
are my settings to blame?

all that aside, what an amazing bike ! I was still riding my old enduro until today but thats probably the last time it gets a turn of the wheel..

View attachment 21324

View attachment 21325
picked up my Levo yesterday and took it out today, its a 2019 carbon comp (500wh)
done 24 miles and 800m of climbing, used eco and trail only with a few road sections with the motor off.
the battery was completely gone when I got back. The beacons is quite rough though, lots of it was baby head long grass..
is this normal range? I was expecting more..
are my settings to blame?

all that aside, what an amazing bike ! I was still riding my old enduro until today but thats probably the last time it gets a turn of the wheel..

View attachment 21324

View attachment 21325
I would say it's your settings. I don't ride a Spec Levo, but tested one. You should get the Mission Control app and then modify the settings. I like to keep the lowest/eco setting between 20-24%, the second around 40-44% and the top one around 80%. With that, I've gone over 50 miles with over 4,000ft climbing with a 500 battery and had plenty of spare...like 30-40% left.

I'm presuming you started with a fully charged battery and it's not defective. Play with the settings. You can also change them for any given ride, or even during a ride, depending on distance you plan to ride, and amount of assistance you need. In sum...it sure sounds like it's settings. Good luck.

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
Everyone uses their power differently. I've just rolled over 6000km with 32 charges. 180km average. Ride a lot motor off enjoying scenery. But lts a blast when I do turn it on!
?
11/11 30/100 100/100

RoedeOrm

Aug 25, 2019
Germany
Baffled by this.. why are you riding an ebike vs a normal bike if this is how you ride? Genuinely curious.
The answer was almost in the text: because I am much fitter on top of the hill. Going down the fast way needs a lot of power and concentration. With my ebike I can take more risk and/or go faster or do it a second time.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
My range with 500wH is around 150km (93mi) and 2.500hm (8.200ft). Weight is 66kg (145lb). Cadence between 80-110. Mostly using Eco. On Singletracks I use the Trail mode. Nearly no use of Turbo.
My Giant Trance e-mtb +1 Pro has a 500wH. The most I can get out the battery on a smooth flat tarseal road with a howling gale up my arse, is approx 75 km. Admittedly my riding weight with pack is 91kg, and being an older rider, my cadence is 70-80. Giant has 5 power settings and I seldom go past 2nd setting unless I am climbing.
A big difference eh! Very puzzling

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles