Battery on E8000

Harlsta

Mar 1, 2020
Scotland
Hey everyone. I'm needing some help. I have a Vitus E-Sommet with an E8000 system that I bought here on the forums. I purchased it with only a few miles from the original owner... I now have 600+ miles on it. Recently I have been getting a E 010 error code and loss of power (I think I have maybe seen briefly E020 come up also?).

I have noticed that the negative pin on the cradle has been getting super hot (see picture of left pin) - so hot that it burns skin! It has actually melted the plastic on the mount a little (as can be seen). Initially I thought it was a problem with 1 of my 2 batteries, but I'm getting errors with both batteries now. I've tried contact cleaner, and adjusting where the battery locking mechanism is.

Do any of you have suggestions about what I should do to try to fix this? I have the original receipt from the owner, but I'm also not scared of making repairs myself...

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_4456.jpg

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hi there Harlsta,

This is a similar situation to a car starting system where there is a bad earth. the car starter slows down and the main power cables begin to get HOT. I would investigate the connections on the underside of the spade that is melting the plastic. I havn't had that off myself but I am guessing that that cable will go directly to the frame. Either the connection below the spade will be loose or the earth connection from that spade to the frame/motor will be loose.

Best of luck,

Frank

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Might be an issue with the mount/terminal itself

You can buy a new one, they are about £100 IIRC, I would be tempted to do this even though tis a bit of an outlay as I wouldnt want to risk damaging the batteries.

Are you able to ry the batteries on another bike, and if so any problems?

Harlsta

Mar 1, 2020
Scotland
Frank and R120 thanks so much for your replies. That gives me a bit of a direction to continue my investigating.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Frank and R120 thanks so much for your replies. That gives me a bit of a direction to continue my investigating.
Looking at what has already happened, wouldn't it be better to go with the warranty? I'm guessing at the least they would now replace that terminal unit. At this point it is trouble that you don't need to buy into?

Harlsta

Mar 1, 2020
Scotland
Looking at what has already happened, wouldn't it be better to go with the warranty? I'm guessing at the least they would now replace that terminal unit. At this point it is trouble that you don't need to buy into?

As the non-original owner will the warranty still work? I have the receipts but my name is not on them. Thanks!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hey everyone. I'm needing some help. I have a Vitus E-Sommet with an E8000 system that I bought here on the forums. I purchased it with only a few miles from the original owner... I now have 600+ miles on it. Recently I have been getting a E 010 error code and loss of power (I think I have maybe seen briefly E020 come up also?).

I have noticed that the negative pin on the cradle has been getting super hot (see picture of left pin) - so hot that it burns skin! It has actually melted the plastic on the mount a little (as can be seen). Initially I thought it was a problem with 1 of my 2 batteries, but I'm getting errors with both batteries now. I've tried contact cleaner, and adjusting where the battery locking mechanism is.

Do any of you have suggestions about what I should do to try to fix this? I have the original receipt from the owner, but I'm also not scared of making repairs myself...

Excessive heat + Li-Ion battery = fire. I would be super careful. It does sound to me like the connector is potentially loose or damaged and arcing. But that's just a guess. I would also try taking an emery board/nail file and cleaning the female connector. If it is dirty or corroded, you'll get a similar result.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Is the battery tight? I've got about 1100 miles on my E-Sommet now and have just had to adjust the top mount for the second time. It's not obvious in everyday use (and I swap between 2 batteries) but give the battery a good side to side and up down wiggle and the you'll get an obvious knock if it is loose. Only takes a couple of mins to tighten. Check out usual German bike shops if you do go for a new connector, quite a bit cheaper than here.

Harlsta

Mar 1, 2020
Scotland
UPDATE

I contacted the original owner (a very nice guy I met on this forum) who helped me return the bike to Chain Reaction for assessment. After a number of weeks we finally received this response:

Shimano's Service Centre have completed their inspection and have advised that there is no warrantable fault.

"The battery has been moving around on the mount causing arcing between the battery and mount terminals which has generated the excess heat. That explains the E010 error code as the system is detecting a connection issue between the battery and the system". (Please see image attached).

Unfortunately you will most likely need to purchase a new battery. Our packing team have now sent your bike complete with the damaged battery to dispatch and it's currently on the way back to you.

So it seems that I still have my problem. I had tried changing the mount position AND was getting errors with both of my batteries. I believe my next port of call will be to replace the connector (BM-E8010) in the hope that this will rectify the code issue. Unless anyone here has a better suggestion?

Thanks again for input.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do not agree with their prognosis. A bad connection that caused arcing would show damage on the terminal and transfer of material from one to the other part of the connection. Earlier you had the suggestion that heat build up in a terminal connection is typically due to excess resistance and the most likely cause of that is a bad earth or possibly a bad solder joint on that terminal. I would be more inclined to go with that. It is possible that the battery being loose overall could cause that high resistance but would more likely cause intermittent power loss.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
UPDATE

I contacted the original owner (a very nice guy I met on this forum) who helped me return the bike to Chain Reaction for assessment. After a number of weeks we finally received this response:

Shimano's Service Centre have completed their inspection and have advised that there is no warrantable fault.

"The battery has been moving around on the mount causing arcing between the battery and mount terminals which has generated the excess heat. That explains the E010 error code as the system is detecting a connection issue between the battery and the system". (Please see image attached).

Unfortunately you will most likely need to purchase a new battery. Our packing team have now sent your bike complete with the damaged battery to dispatch and it's currently on the way back to you.

So it seems that I still have my problem. I had tried changing the mount position AND was getting errors with both of my batteries. I believe my next port of call will be to replace the connector (BM-E8010) in the hope that this will rectify the code issue. Unless anyone here has a better suggestion?

Thanks again for input.
I don't understand how that isn't warranty. Am I missing something here?

rogers827

Jul 16, 2021
Lincs UK

View attachment 41158
I don't know if you managed to get this sorted but I would have a good look at the corrisponding socket terminal on the battery - sometimes they loose their spring or get bent too far open and you get the bad connection problem. The connection on the battery is likely to be heat damaged in the same way.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles