battery info etc on apple watch ?

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
i know you can see this on garmin devices but anyone know if it can be done or maybe its coming to iwatches ?

RogerFree

Aug 21, 2021
MA
i know you can see this on garmin devices but anyone know if it can be done or maybe its coming to iwatches ?
I had same question, the answer is yes and its called “ST Rides.” The software is on the App Store. Developer is on this site. He also has tuning software, but ST Rides is really cool cost effective Apple watch solution. I have connected it to my watch but haven’t had a chance to ride with it yet. One useful tip. To get your watch to connect, you have to turn on phone app, but don’t connect to bike with phone. Connect with watch. If you connect with phone first, it won’t let watch connect.

Maxijazz

Oct 12, 2020
Alcester
Can you post a link to the app store for it. I can't find it. When I put in ST Rides I get some random habit tracker.
It'd be great to have this info on an Apple watch.

Bike&Beer

Jan 2, 2021
Surrey
I’ve used ST Ride for a few months now and it works great. You have to have your phone with you, but I love having all the key stats on my watch and keeping a clean cockpit (mainly just to check on battery %).

You can export all the data out of the phone app after your ride to Strava or as a data file.

Bike&Beer

Jan 2, 2021
Surrey
I connect the app on my phone first then I open the app on my watch and it should be connected (sometimes it doesn’t work first time so I close the app on my watch - double click then swipe left to fully close - then reopen and it will be connected).

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
if using ST Ride, open app on phone first, but don’t connect.
then connect on watch and it should work, connecting both.
1. app on, don’t connect yet.
2. connect With watch.
I ended up in all sorts of trouble, couldn’t connect my watch, or my phone and somehow ended up on the Shimamo app to see if it would connect which updated the motor and now isn’t compatible with STUnlocker. So frustrating.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
if using ST Ride, open app on phone first, but don’t connect.
then connect on watch and it should work, connecting both.
1. app on, don’t connect yet.
2. connect With watch.

Thanks. I'm gonna go out and try that. I bought the apps a couple days ago, but the watch didn't seem to connect.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Yep, Garmin watches and the app are just horrible compared to Apple Watch. I do like the Garmin Vivosmart 4 band though.
I really only wanted the Garmin mostly for the battery status. I just hated not knowing how much battery I had left on long rides with the minimal LED light, which I do like cause it's so stealthy. The Garmin just ended up being yesterday's technology in a watch with a subpar battery. I'm sure they'll update it and I'm sure it'll improve, but for now, it would be nice if the ST app did highlight the battery life in a larger size, but who's complaining!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I bought both the apps last week. The STUnlocker app can't write when the computer on the bike is running the latest firmware. It's a little bit of a disappointment, but doesn't matter a whole lot. I see the app as more of a diagnostic tool. Hopefully the creator is working on updating the app, because downgrading and upgrading the bike's firmware is pretty lame.

The ST Ride app looked like it had possibilities. Mostly, I was interested in seeing real-time elevation data on my watch. The first problem is that the icons are small... really small. The battery data is also interesting. ST Ride is also supposed to log data that can be uploaded to Strava. For me, the data was either not recorded, recorded and stopped, or just lost into the ether. It could have been my fault, or maybe the software is glitchy. Regardless, loss of ride data makes ST Ride a non-starter for me.

SUMMARY: ST Ride provides needed elevation data, but in a size that's unreadable while riding. It shows battery data, but so does the Shimano computer. And it failed to work with Strava. For me, the Shimano computer and my Apple Watch records Strava, without the need to carry around my phone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles