Watch out for e*thirteen cranks!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Afternoon

So, the inevitable has happened, my E13 crank has fallen off my Rise and the end cap now lives somewhere in the forest in North Yorkshire

Happy to re-fit and use loctite in the meantime whilst I raise a warranty claim with my LBS, question is, what are the cheap Amazon aluminium end caps I need ? Do I just search for ‘Shimano EP8 crank arm end cap’ or is there a specific size & part number ?
High Rock Ruti

STOP buy a pair of race face crank arms and be done, I bought three pairs E 13s for the left crank only all three failed and they did nothing for warranty not a dime.

Warm Regards Ruti

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
High Rock Ruti

STOP buy a pair of race face crank arms and be done, I bought three pairs E 13s for the left crank only all three failed and they did nothing for warranty not a dime.

Warm Regards Ruti
If he's going to replace the E13 with a different brand, then Shimano is what he wants, not Raceface. I'm not even sure Raceface makes a crank arm to fit the EP8. Do you have a link, because their website doesn't show any compatibility with Shimano motors?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Another option is a local company to where I live that also manufacturers aerospace parts. They are bad ass but very $$$!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
If you have OEM e*thirteen carbon cranks, Orbea will replace them with Shimano XTR cranks under warranty.

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
I haven't had any problems following the updated instruction from e13.

Orbea replaced mine under warranty claim as I had alloy when they should have been carbon when supplied.
They replaced with Shimano Steps not e13 so maybe that says something.
How can you tell if you have Carbon or Alloy? Whats should be on an M10? and finally are Shmno Steps cranks the real thing over XT. I have XT and these would keep it trim if I swapped out...

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
Fwiw I’m about 5500km in on my M20 rise, and the only issues I’ve ever had have been E01022 errors occasionally, cranks have been fine, I’ve checked them regularly and had zero issues.
What does checking involve please, can you visually spot something untoward. Guessing that have a wiggle of the arm won't be informative will it..?

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
No if the alloys cranks are fitted as standard which I think they are on anything other than Ltd or Team then they won't replace them.
I guess that at three months old your M10 with have the revised fitting done.
I had no problem with my alloys once you follow the revised instructions, 14Nm tightened and 2Nm for end caps (with loctite 242 applied).
I Have a 3 week old M10 - so, I should follow this..?

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
Yeah,new shimano EM900 cranks swapped for the E thirteen alloy ones that came on the bike with the letter apologising for the fact they were not the carbon versions that the bike is specced with.
I emailed Orbea after I'd had the bike a couple of weeks to ask what the procedure was to get the replacements,they got back to me after a few days & said I should contact Sigma Sports & they would do the swap for me,turns out any Orbea dealer can do it,so I phoned up my nearest one & booked it in for today.
Back home now,just need some new Crank boots & I'm good to go.
Will test them out tomorrow,can now ride with a bit more piece of mind.

On a side note I f***ing love this bike,Total weapon,has made every trail I've riden much more fun,perfect bike for anyone wanting to get more riding done in a shorter amount of time,good fitness as well,I've come back more knackered riding the Rise than I had on my last few rides on my Bronson.
Spin it to win it matey :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles