Watch out for e*thirteen cranks!

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Surely now that Shimano only recommend their cranks for the EP8, the e13 ones have been wrongly specified, so Orbea should replace them, that been said I've done over 1500 miles on my M20 with the E13 alloy ones with no problems, but I still feel like I'm waiting for them to fall off at some point, hopefully within warranty.
I think Orbea are only replacing them if they were supplied with alloy and they should have been carbon (Ltd and Team).
I've not had any problems with my alloys since I followed the updated fitting guidance from e13.
Confidence in them was shattered though as was nearly my shinbone when the left arm fell off at pace downhill!
I do now have Shimano fitted under a warranty claim.
I don't think anyone from Orbea wants a general recall on all e13 cranks fitted onto EP motors but maybe they should do so under goodwill.
The bigger problem will comes if drive shafts get damaged as who will one will want to pick the bill.

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Surely now that Shimano only recommend their cranks for the EP8, the e13 ones have been wrongly specified, so Orbea should replace them, that been said I've done over 1500 miles on my M20 with the E13 alloy ones with no problems, but I still feel like I'm waiting for them to fall off at some point, hopefully within warranty.
High Rock Ruti

Make sure to check them for tightness regularly, mine keep coming loose and stripping

Warm Regards Ruti

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Do orbea read these forums? Maybe I should contact them.
I contacted Orbea about my wife's H30, which comes with e*thirteen aluminum cranks. This is what they had to say:

Thanks for writing. I've consulted with the head of our warranty department regarding your query. In regards to the issue explained in the Bike Radar article, Orbea has collaborated with both providers (Shimano and e*thirteen), testing and sharing the subsequent conclusions. It was determined that the EP8 RS spindle damage is produced because the par of the e*thirteen crank is greater than the par for the area surrounding the crank. This is why a new crank mounting method was developed to avoiding any over tightening by the user or the mechanic that could cause undesired spindle breakage. From Orbea we urge you to follow the correct torque tightening instructions and keep the correct position in regards to the motor and the crank the way that it was sent from our factory. This method has been demonstrated to be effective as, in addition to our lab tests, we have not received any incidences of breakages since our assembly line has applied these changes.

In case you have modified the crank position to something different than the way it came from factory, we would recommend having your local Orbea dealer do a revision to ensure it gets back to the correct position.

I really can't believe Orbea hasn't made public documentation for this. This is a safety issue, not a situation for messing around.

My dealer is over an hour away, I'm not going to drive there to have the shop torque the bolts. I highly suspect the shop would have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. When I picked up the bike they didn't provide me with any of the accessories (should have included the Shimano cable tool and the preload tool for the rocker link, minimally).

I ended up ordering Shimano FC-EM900 cranks myself for my wife's bike (from Italy no less since no one has them in stock). If someday Orbea decides to replace them it would probably be a lower end version anyway.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
I contacted Orbea about my wife's H30, which comes with e*thirteen aluminum cranks. This is what they had to say:

I really can't believe Orbea hasn't made public documentation for this. This is a safety issue, not a situation for messing around.

My dealer is over an hour away, I'm not going to drive there to have the shop torque the bolts. I highly suspect the shop would have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. When I picked up the bike they didn't provide me with any of the accessories (should have included the Shimano cable tool and the preload tool for the rocker link, minimally).

I ended up ordering Shimano FC-EM900 cranks myself for my wife's bike (from Italy no less since no one has them in stock). If someday Orbea decides to replace them it would probably be a lower end version anyway.
Orbea know that this is an issue but won't admit there is an issue.

It's a he said, she said, they said and nobody wants to know.

Last edited:

Hammick

Feb 3, 2022
Kansas City, Missouri
I have a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp but looking to switch to a Rise H30. Why in the world does the Shimano EP8 (8000) motor not have a threaded spindle for crank attachment like the Brose motor? Pinch bolts for cranks seem like they will eventually fail no matter what cranks are used.

How hard is it to install a new spindle in an EP8 motor? Seems like spindle damage will be common down the road on these bikes.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I asked Orbea about official docs, they don't have it yet but here's what they sent:

The bikes have been shipping with the proper crank installation and torque specs since last May so there should be no issues with your bike. In case you want to check or in the future perform any maintenance on the cranks (cleaning, greasing, etc) please use this photo for reference for the proper installation:

Image_2022-03-10_16-42-26.png

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
There is no "updated crank". There's just (supposedly) and updated procedure for installing the crank.

The cranks on my bike have 14nm printed on the crank and supposedly there is a longer thread on the preload cap (according to the local importer). I'm not sure if they also changed the amount of spline that interfaces with the motor shaft?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The cranks on my bike have 14nm printed on the crank and supposedly there is a longer thread on the preload cap (according to the local importer). I'm not sure if they also changed the amount of spline that interfaces with the motor shaft?
Ok that's fair. I don't think the crank design has changed at all though, just the torque spec and longer preload caps. I have those as well.

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
Just to be safe I've ordered some FC-EM900's today from my LBS, wont get them til May though, so will keep checking for the E13's coming loose 😅

Hammick

Feb 3, 2022
Kansas City, Missouri
This issue has me thinking about tabling my Orbea Rise purchase for now. Kansas City does not have a dealer and the closest is a 400 mile round trip to Bentonville, AR. Of course we have ten Specialized dealers. I'm trying to get my LBS to pick up Orbea. Not holding my breath with the current supply problems.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
This issue has me thinking about tabling my Orbea Rise purchase for now. Kansas City does not have a dealer and the closest is a 400 mile round trip to Bentonville, AR. Of course we have ten Specialized dealers. I'm trying to get my LBS to pick up Orbea. Not holding my breath with the current supply problems.
I wouldn't go that far. If you go Spesh you'll be replacing motors :) I'm super impressed with the H-series bikes, they are pretty insanely good. The Levo/Kenevo SL is kind of a joke in comparison. My LBS has SL's for sale 15% off and 6 or 7 of them sitting there going no where. Spesh NEVER goes on sale....

The top of the line Shimano cranks are only a couple hundred bucks, if you want total peice of mind. But Orbea is confident they've worked around the issue, for what that's worth.

Hammick

Feb 3, 2022
Kansas City, Missouri
I wouldn't go that far. If you go Spesh you'll be replacing motors :) I'm super impressed with the H-series bikes, they are pretty insanely good. The Levo/Kenevo SL is kind of a joke in comparison. My LBS has SL's for sale 15% off and 6 or 7 of them sitting there going no where. Spesh NEVER goes on sale....

The top of the line Shimano cranks are only a couple hundred bucks, if you want total peice of mind. But Orbea is confident they've worked around the issue, for what that's worth.

I know but I already have my 2020 Turbo Levo that I stole from the original owner. My motor is under warranty until Nov. of 2023. It's just a bear to ride with no assistance. I figure 10 -11% assist depending on the wind to make it ride like an analog bike.

Greater KC has a population of 2.34 million. Hard to believe we won't have an Orbea dealer soon.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
After installing a Push ELEVENSIX coil shock on my YT Decoy Elite (Shred Style), wanted to switch to 160mm cranks to limit pedal strikes. My duck has the Shimano E8000 motor and unfortunately there are not a lot of options for 160mm cranks. After reading many reviews and understanding concerns documented about Ethirteen's, pulled the trigger and have had absolutely no issues at all. Need to make sure you follow revised torque recommendations for the 2 bolts on each crank and the end cap (purchased an aftermarket cap recommended from this forum). I used my own locktite and have checked all bolts after several rides and they have not come loose. Like the robust crankboot on the Ethirteen cranks and pedal strikes have been greatly reduced.

Screenshot_20220311-154449_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220311-154519_Gallery.jpg

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
I asked Orbea about official docs, they don't have it yet but here's what they sent:
Wait, what? I can understand orienting the crank arms to put the pin hole in the spindle opposite the pinch bolts on the e*13 cranks to avoid any unnecessary stress on that hole when torquing the pinch bolts, but what about when fitting the recommended Shimano FC-EM900 crank arms? The Shimano cranks actually use that little pin hole for their 'stopper plate', which means the pin hole on the spindle needs to be aligned with the pinch bolts on the crank arm... Anyone that received a Rise with Shimano cranks installed from the factory care to pull off the preload cap and post a photo?

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 2.30.12 PM.png

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Fwiw I’m about 5500km in on my M20 rise, and the only issues I’ve ever had have been E01022 errors occasionally, cranks have been fine, I’ve checked them regularly and had zero issues.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
This is a well known problem (search the threads), mine fell off four times before I found the solution:
apply loctite medium grip to bolts and end cap,
do not use the seal, tighten the end cap to 3-4 nM or see below
tighten bolts to 14nM carefully as the bolts are quite soft alloy
I also replaced the fixing cap with an aluminium one from Amazon and tightened to 3-4Nm.
I then had no further problems.

Orbea are replacing carbon e13 with the Shimano Steps so it might be that you are due a warranty replacement.
If not I would purchase them anyhow and retro fit them to your bike asap.
Can you link the preload caps you bought please?

Darris Nelson

Jun 6, 2022
Bodega Bay
I haven't had any problems following the updated instruction from e13.

Orbea replaced mine under warranty claim as I had alloy when they should have been carbon when supplied.
They replaced with Shimano Steps not e13 so maybe that says something.
Late response but still back and forth on this with my LBS. My LBS is telling me the ethirteen alloy cranks that were shipped with my LTD are fine. Just to be sure I have this straight, you contacted filed a claim with Orbea even though you had alloy not carbon installed on your bike? Reading the bulletin from ethirteen, they aren't taking responsibility for the failures and state it's an EP8 spindle weakness. I'm not an aggressive rider but when I'm going downhill at 25mph I don't want to be wondering if my cranks are going to fall off.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Three pairs, E13 would not stand behind the cranks, bought bike on the West Coast, sent east no LBS, gave up and used Race Face arms no problem since, not even loose ever!

Warm Regards Ruti

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Late response but still back and forth on this with my LBS. My LBS is telling me the ethirteen alloy cranks that were shipped with my LTD are fine. Just to be sure I have this straight, you contacted filed a claim with Orbea even though you had alloy not carbon installed on your bike? Reading the bulletin from ethirteen, they aren't taking responsibility for the failures and state it's an EP8 spindle weakness. I'm not an aggressive rider but when I'm going downhill at 25mph I don't want to be wondering if my cranks are going to fall off.
Mine should have been carbon, they were shipped with alloy. They were due to be replaced with the E13 carbon but Orbea are now fitting Shimano instead.

If you have LTD or TEAM they should have shipped with carbon cranks, if you have alloy e13, Orbea will replace them. Your bike should have come with a letter stating this.

see email below:

Mon, 7 Feb, 08:19
to me

Thank you for contacting Orbea,

That is correct, all Rise M-TEAM and M-LTD bikes that were assembled with Ethirteen alloy cranks are being replaced with FC-EM900 Shimano cranksets. In order to do it, please contact your dealer so they can open a claim through our system, and our after sales team will process a warranty order to send them. Since it is necessary that the dealer makes the replacement, the order will arrive to your dealer location.

Best regards,

Darris Nelson

Jun 6, 2022
Bodega Bay
Mine should have been carbon, they were shipped with alloy. They were due to be replaced with the E13 carbon but Orbea are now fitting Shimano instead.

If you have LTD or TEAM they should have shipped with carbon cranks, if you have alloy e13, Orbea will replace them. Your bike should have come with a letter stating this.

see email below:

Mon, 7 Feb, 08:19
to me

Thanks for the update. I did not receive a letter about the Shimano cranks with my bike. I told the tech manager about your exchange but he seemed resistant to the idea that the ALLOY ethirteens should be replaced. So I emailed Orbea yesterday and received this reply today:

Good morning Darris,

Shimano EM900 cranksets are an upgrade regarding the EThirteen model, this is why we would recommend you to change them. In order to do it, please ask your dealer to open a claim through our internal system and it will be managed by our aftersales team.

Regards,
Customer Service
T +34 900 67 00 18

I sent the above email to my LBS so hoping that assures them and we can get the new cranks ordered. I've also had issues with the Fox dropper post from the beginning. I understand from the tech manager at my shop several other people have had the same issue. My is pretty much non functioning. No word how this will be handled. It is a bit frustrating having about $1,000 worth of parts 'exchanged' or non-functional with little to no true equal exchange. Life could be worse...it's just a bike and one I still very much enjoy! Thanks again!​

Thank you for contacting Orbea,

That is correct, all Rise M-TEAM and M-LTD bikes that were assembled with Ethirteen alloy cranks are being replaced with FC-EM900 Shimano cranksets. In order to do it, please contact your dealer so they can open a claim through our system, and our after sales team will process a warranty order to send them. Since it is necessary that the dealer makes the replacement, the order will arrive to your dealer location.

Best regards,

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
I have a 3 month old M10 with the alloy ethirteen cranks so I'm guessing the shimano crankset should be installed on mine also.
No if the alloys cranks are fitted as standard which I think they are on anything other than Ltd or Team then they won't replace them.
I guess that at three months old your M10 with have the revised fitting done.
I had no problem with my alloys once you follow the revised instructions, 14Nm tightened and 2Nm for end caps (with loctite 242 applied).

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
I knocked this up at home. Get one made up at a local machine shop. The axle filler is solid 6065 aluminium (aloominum!) tapped for M10 countersunk stainless set screws torqued up to whatever I thought felt snug. Alloy end caps are from Amazon/China and loctited in. I also fitted Miranda 155mm cranks to help with pedal strikes and turned them 180 degrees to cover the axle holes, just in case. So far these have taken quite a bit of stick pushing heavy ride buddies up hills in boost mode!

IMG_20220325_113421s.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Afternoon

So, the inevitable has happened, my E13 crank has fallen off my Rise and the end cap now lives somewhere in the forest in North Yorkshire

Happy to re-fit and use loctite in the meantime whilst I raise a warranty claim with my LBS, question is, what are the cheap Amazon aluminium end caps I need ? Do I just search for ‘Shimano EP8 crank arm end cap’ or is there a specific size & part number ?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I ordered these and they work great! Unlike so many others, I have been very fortunate and have had absolutely no issues at all! They sell as single units, so you need to order 2.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles