Battery Health

Creatorex

Sep 15, 2018
Spain
Just a matter of interest and I do apologize in advance if you already tried it, but have you tried to delete the MC app and reinstall it? There might be a bug in the app ad it showing the incorect health.
I had this with mine, 2 charges old battery and only 40km covered on the bike it was showing 93% health on my battery. Deleted the app and reinstalled and now is showing the full 100% health on my battery.
Worth a try?
My suggestion is you to Use blevo to double-check.. see pic.
Screenshot_20181022-103126.png

Driehoek

Oct 8, 2018
Belgium
Just a question about how to handle the battery right after the purchase. My dealer didn't really say anything about it, and I forgot to ask, but is there an instruction from Specialized on how to handle the battery?
I think of things like full charge and full discharge as first cycle, or is this not relevant?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just a matter of interest and I do apologize in advance if you already tried it, but have you tried to delete the MC app and reinstall it? There might be a bug in the app ad it showing the incorect health.
I had this with mine, 2 charges old battery and only 40km covered on the bike it was showing 93% health on my battery. Deleted the app and reinstalled and now is showing the full 100% health on my battery.
Worth a try?
How can you be sure the bug isn't in the re-installed app? :unsure:

Creatorex

Sep 15, 2018
Spain
I’ve just downloaded Blevo which is stating my battery is 390wh @100% charge. Being the 2017 it’s the 460wa battery.....
That's 84%. we have to accept that batteries have a lifecycle; that's it. And are expensive :( .
I'd like someone using them long term 2 years or more could tell us about the experience. So when to change? 75%? 60%? So range is affected of course and we will reach a range where we would need to replace. Maybe 2-3 years? 4 years? ( In normal use (6hrs week)

D

Deleted member 1478

Here is an excellent source that shows why storing lithium pack for long periods at elevated SOC is a bad thing, and that charging to lower peak voltages (as they do in almost all small consumer electronic devices like phones and tablets) increases cycle life. It also explains that self discharge of lithium packs is exceptionally low, so storing at 30-50% capacity is extremely safe and will prolong the life of your battery.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Very interesting link.

I take it from this that there is an advantage to half charging your battery after a ride, storing it in the refrigerator, and then top up charging on the morning of your ride? Particularly over summer in places where it gets hot.

There is probably also an advantage to having 2 batteries and only discharging each in the 80% to 30% range (giving 2 x 50%, equivalent to 100% out of one battery)?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Very interesting link.

I take it from this that there is an advantage to half charging your battery after a ride, storing it in the refrigerator, and then top up charging on the morning of your ride? Particularly over summer in places where it gets hot.
Yes, though if you are in the UK like me I am not sure youneed to worry about using the fridge - it is not normally that hot here! My modelling lipos have lasted 2-3 years in general use and are always stored at 3.8V/cell; it definitely prolongs life over charging to full after every use.
There is probably also an advantage to having 2 batteries and only discharging each in the 80% to 30% range (giving 2 x 50%, equivalent to 100% out of one battery)?
In theory maybe, but remember without some additional detective work we do not know how the BMS is treating the battery in terms of the points it registers as "fully charged" and "flat". If it is like many consumer electronic devices it is likely to be stopping the charge at around 90% capacity, and stopping discharge at ~30% anyway. This should be something we can check with a voltmeter easy enough; I will see if I can do this with my Dad's pack at the w/e when I go up to visit him (I don't yet have an eMTB of my own).

In practice I think you are probably better having a single battery, running it until it no longer has sufficient capacity/power delivery to be usable, then buying another. Remember both packs will be ageing over time from the moment they are manufactured anyway, so running one into the ground then buying another fresh one probably makes more sense unless you regularly do longer "2 battery" rides.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I’m on my 19th cycle and I’ve just dropped to 95%... (or 477Wh!) - personally I’m not happy about that. Bike going into LBS next week for warranty replacement on the command post and code brakes so they can sort the battery out too while it’s there!

UPDATE: with a happy ending...

So to cut a very long story short, as part of testing power outputs of different 1.3 motors, my LBS loaded 10.22.x on my battery and then upgraded it back to 10.23.x (which is where it was originally at).

Now my battery health is reporting it is back to 100% and holding 504Wh’s!

Creatorex

Sep 15, 2018
Spain
UPDATE: with a happy ending...

So to cut a very long story short, as part of testing power outputs of different 1.3 motors, my LBS loaded 10.22.x on my battery and then upgraded it back to 10.23.x (which is where it was originally at).

Now my battery health is reporting it is back to 100% and holding 504Wh’s!

In BLEVO also?

lcdavies5

Nov 1, 2018
South Wales
I've used my Kenevo twice, accumulating less than 40km albeit on steep climbs. Battery health now at 90%. I've read somewhere here that this may be inaccurate if < 3 charges and discharges so will use again this weekend and take another sample but it's worrying me at the moment. Nothing that, to my knowledge after some research and advice, the battery / motor has been through should have caused this so very anxious to see how this will develop!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles