Battery Health

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My levo was at 100% battery health last week I charged it today to ride and the health dropped to 94%. I store it with 70% storage charge always not sure what has happened it’s only had 8 charges so far. Anyone else having this issue? I’ve never depleted the battery below 20% so would have hoped it was more resilient then this.

Thanks

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I might be wrong here but dont spesh reccomend to to fully charge the battery after every ride

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’ve been riding most days and I always charge within a few hours after a ride but sometimes the next day. Longest without riding after a charge 3-4days. Dropped to 95% after 12 charge cycles and dropped to 94% a few days ago after 24 cycles. Only ever gone into the red lights twice whilst riding but these don’t corraspond to loosing battery health. Most rides use 50-60 % charge.

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
I’ve been riding most days and I always charge within a few hours after a ride but sometimes the next day. Longest without riding after a charge 3-4days. Dropped to 95% after 12 charge cycles and dropped to 94% a few days ago after 24 cycles. Only ever gone into the red lights twice whilst riding but these don’t corraspond to loosing battery health. Most rides use 50-60 % charge.
Mines just done this today seems to be a patten here, maybe it’s the norm.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Charge seven was to 70% and only left 4 days I topped it up and then was down to 94% I’ve emailed them I’ll keep everyone posted.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have done about 30 charges since i got my 2018 bike always charge it as soon as my ride is finshed even if i only used 30% or so and it stays fully charged between rides. Always charge indoors in the winter and i still have 100% health

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Can I ask everyone on mission control what was the highest amount of watt hours used for a ride I’m seeing 411wh used for 49kms

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Can I ask everyone on mission control what was the highest amount of watt hours used for a ride I’m seeing 411wh used for 49kms
439wh for 42.8km, that was for a ride on full power and I had 8% left in the tank from memory.
So to work that out 439 + 8% = 474wh the current battery capacity. Which rings true as my battery’s health is 94% which is 504wh - 6% = 474wh.
So as my battery health falls, so does it’s capacity, therefore the distance I can travel on a single charge. Bit poor really given it’s done 25 charge cycles and about 1100km

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Are you in the uk or North America? Just curious as the bike has a higher speed limit in North America. Thanks for the information.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
There are a few rules for that applies to pretty much every lithium battery chemestry. Do not store the battery at 100% State of Charge (SOC), that will degrade it. Li batteries has the least degradation at 50% SOC. But we don't have to make it too difficult. As long as it's kept between 20% and 80% SOC, it's fine. The battery will self discharge when stored, that's why it's generally recommended to store the battery with 70-80% SOC.

-Don't leave the battery in the charger after it has reached 100%. Leaving it with the charger plugged in is worse than just storing it with 100% SOC.
-If you finish a trip with low SOC, charge immideately. The SOC will continue to drop as the battery cools doen and the battery may die completely.
-Li-ion batteries prefer 20*C. Don't use the bike or charge the battery if the core temp of the battery is below 0*C. BMS will protect the battery in these conditions, still it's no point trying.

If the Levo app shows State of Health (SoH), then there's probably been som battery degradation. Li-ion batteries are known to have an initial degradation of a few %, though 5% sounds a bit high. But the BMS (Battery Management System) may not be completely accurate. Try running the battery down over one or several trips, then recharge to 100% and check the data again. Take a short trip on the bike to reduce SOC so it doesn't sit at 100%. As already mentioned, Li-ion batteries will self discharge. So if you charged to a 100% a few days ago, the SOC will read 90-something-%.

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
My levo was at 100% battery health last week I charged it today to ride and the health dropped to 94%. I store it with 70% storage charge always not sure what has happened it’s only had 8 charges so far. Anyone else having this issue? I’ve never depleted the battery below 20% so would have hoped it was more resilient then this.

Thanks
Hi if it’s any reassurance my levo was at 94% battery health when I picked it up brand new 4 weeks ago from Evans Cycles never seen it above that.....I’m on my 4th charge

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the excellent information I’ve always stored at 70% same as my Rc batteries. I was just worried that my rides are going to be shorter and shorter over time instead. I can’t imagine what battery health we will have after 400 charges. I wonder if there is a way for them to balance the cells or does the BMS do that?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I have a spare battery the smaller one, it has been sitting for just over a year with 83% charge now use it charge for a year and it is still at 83% and 100% health.

Stu-k

Apr 16, 2018
Australia
I read somewhere that if you charge it overnight it balances the battery and resolves the issue.
Not sure if this is true as I haven’t tried it

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I’ve spoken with my bike shop and who has spoken with Specialized they said it was the last update and that on some batteries it just reads low. Not sure I like that answer let’s see what happens from here if it drops again in the next 10 charges or so it will need to be changed out. Thanks for the info from everyone. :). I might try the balancing trick stu-k mentioned tonight

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I have about 12 charge cycles on my Levo battery, and it dropped to 99% health the other day. I'm not too worried about it at this stage, but this is a good thread to share thoughts about reported and actual health, and whether or not it is affecting your riding performance etc.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Hello, I noticed that the battery wasn’t actually taking a full charge so yes it was replaced and the new battery instantly gave me better range 16% better range actually. So I would speak with your bike shop if your battery health has dropped

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles