Bafang m510

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
The cheap way Is to obtain USB to can transreceiver And this extension cable. Check this forum. There is no need to buy overpriced best Tool or K1 flash if you dont want flash firmware...

Edit: actually one can use ESP32 instead that transreceiver It will be even three times cheaper ...

EDIT#2: Probabably the cheapest combo Programmer and Can Bus Module used as alternative to transreceiver
Seems like a proper way to brick 3k ebike, makes perfect sense to me. I'll rather stick with my good old Besst.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
@raggertje It should work but I cannot confirm yet. I have an FC2.0 controller on order, so will try once it arrives (2-3 weeks). The problem we are likely to have is that the display will not show the correct battery voltage / level, as the controller firmware is likely setup for 48V not 52V unfortunately. We need Bafang to create a 52V firmware for the FC2.0.
@raggertje @Dado @temon10 @Timmy65

So I got my FC2.0 controller fitted and finally manged to upload a 48V firmware (MMG522C4814F802010.1).
Quick test ride revealed that the power seems to be 'smoother' and no 'on-off' feeling that the FC1.0 controller had 😁 (y)
Interestingly the motor is now more 'whiny' which I really don't understand, as I haven't touched anything 'mechanical' in the motor?

Problem is that I can ride for a few minutes and then the power just stops :confused: No error codes and no loose wires.
If I switch the display off then immediately back on again the power is back, but then 2 minutes later, no power again....
If I put heavy pressure on the cranks (when pedals level i.e. in a horizontal position), the power returns (no need to switch the display off and on) :unsure:

So I'm wondering if:-
a) I need to recalibrated the controller / torque sensor? or
b) the FC2.0 controller is indeed not compatible with the FC1.0 torque sensor?

Is anyone successfully running an M510 with an FC2.0 controller and FC1.0 (SRxxxxx serial number) torque sensor?

raggertje

Jan 24, 2023
The Netherlands
I think you always need to recalibrated the motor/controller when you swap the controller....

I just had my first ride with my new M510 FC2.0. Loving it! Glad I bought it instead of repairing the M600 with a new controller :)

No problems with the 52 battery BTW. Curious though when the low voltage control kicks in.... try that tomorrow on a big round 💪

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
I think you always need to recalibrated the motor/controller when you swap the controller....

I just had my first ride with my new M510 FC2.0. Loving it! Glad I bought it instead of repairing the M600 with a new controller :)

No problems with the 52 battery BTW. Curious though when the low voltage control kicks in.... try that tomorrow on a big round 💪
Yeah recalibrated following the fitment but my gut feel is that the FC2.0 controller is not compatible with the FC1.0 torque sensor...

Get yourself one of these and have it in your pocket of better still taped to the top tube. When you see around 30% battery on the display you're
20230821_220127.jpg
pretty much out of juice!

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Still confused between chinring 40T or 38T what do you recommend?
My smallest cog is 11T
I want to be fast on flat ground and at the same time climb mountains easily

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
If you have 11t in the back then 40t.
38 vs 40 is almost no difference, calculate how many percent is 2t from 38.

For climbing very steep uphills you need 50t at the back.

PadreParada

May 13, 2019
Madrid, Spain
@raggertje @Dado @temon10 @Timmy65

So I got my FC2.0 controller fitted and finally manged to upload a 48V firmware (MMG522C4814F802010.1).
Quick test ride revealed that the power seems to be 'smoother' and no 'on-off' feeling that the FC1.0 controller had 😁 (y)
Interestingly the motor is now more 'whiny' which I really don't understand, as I haven't touched anything 'mechanical' in the motor?

Problem is that I can ride for a few minutes and then the power just stops :confused: No error codes and no loose wires.
If I switch the display off then immediately back on again the power is back, but then 2 minutes later, no power again....
If I put heavy pressure on the cranks (when pedals level i.e. in a horizontal position), the power returns (no need to switch the display off and on) :unsure:

So I'm wondering if:-
a) I need to recalibrated the controller / torque sensor? or
b) the FC2.0 controller is indeed not compatible with the FC1.0 torque sensor?

Is anyone successfully running an M510 with an FC2.0 controller and FC1.0 (SRxxxxx serial number) torque sensor?
Yes its compatible. I have done same thing to mine. Recalibrate torque sensor.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Yes its compatible. I have done same thing to mine. Recalibrate torque sensor.
Thanks for the reply. @Timmy65 also confirmed its ok (y)
I must have something wrong with the controller sent to me, as I can't read the serial number via BESST tool and I get an associated error message.

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
Thanks for the reply. @Timmy65 also confirmed its ok (y)
I must have something wrong with the controller sent to me, as I can't read the serial number via BESST tool and I get an associated error message.
This is pretty normal with Besst, it sometimes happen. If you are having problems with reading serial number of controller, just go to update, choose controller and then after read you will see the S/N number correctly and then you just copy paste it to controller tab.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
This is pretty normal with Besst, it sometimes happen. If you are having problems with reading serial number of controller, just go to update, choose controller and then after read you will see the S/N number correctly and then you just copy paste it to controller tab.
I'll give that a go 👍 Thanks for the reply.
The BESST software can be very temperamental in my experience...

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Then dont know what happend.

Looks to me calibration is a bootloader routine. Also still worked for me, doesnt matter what type of motor. CAN commands still the same. Only if they changed in your firmware 15.x calibration protocol. But why would Bafang do it?

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
Then dont know what happend.

Looks to me calibration is a bootloader routine. Also still worked for me, doesnt matter what type of motor. CAN commands still the same. Only if they changed in your firmware 15.x calibration protocol. But why would Bafang do it?
i have last revision on FC1

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not sure if this is all exactly the same as the hardware/software numbers everyone else has, but this is the M510 in the Vitus E-Mythique.

1692945022833.png

Grabbed those from in Bafang Go. I think it's had a makeover. I tried Go+, which connected but said it was incompatible (I have the DPC245V2.0 - so Bluetooth 5.0 and not the V3.0 which had Bluetooth 5.1 which Go+ needs.

Go seemed to actually connect fine and work fine, gave access to lots of info and the live data screen seems to work. There was even a page to update firmwares over the air or locally (No idea if that page actually works or if it's just for show :

1692945140359.png

There was another page :

1692945280118.png

Not sure what PASnum is or the millivolts Torque Signal, maybe could be useful for diagnostics ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Torque signal is live and seems to show the force on the torque sensor from 750 as no force to :

1692959380793.png

Foot Resting on Pedal
1692959392982.png

A bit of pressure
1692959401342.png

Harder
1692959414070.png

Fairly hard

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
I set the motor speed to 25 km/h to comply with EU law, but the motor keeps running up to 26,5 km/h.
What do you think is the reason?
This is normal behaviour, mine was set from factory to 26 km/h (dunno why) and it was pushing up to 27,5 km/h so i guess there is some tolerance between speed sensor, display, motor, controller etc. I tested several bikes with 25 speed factory limit and no one from them was disengaging the motor at strictly 25, it was somewhere around 26.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You dont know what is PAS? ;) And yes, it is volts output from torque sensor, why are you surprised?
I'm surprised because it works ! Which given the general feelings towards the go app, is unexpected.

Where as knowing what pas generally refers to as an acronym- pedal assist level - doesn't mean its the same here as it doesn't seem to correspond to the assistance mode, whereas that is displayed correctly on the go main display.

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
This is normal behaviour, mine was set from factory to 26 km/h (dunno why) and it was pushing up to 27,5 km/h so i guess there is some tolerance between speed sensor, display, motor, controller etc. I tested several bikes with 25 speed factory limit and no one from them was disengaging the motor at strictly 25, it was somewhere around 26.
I noticed that the motor never turns off after a 26.5 km/h speed, I keep hearing its sound, and there is still 19 to 20 watts consumption (this is what the display shows).
This mainly happens when I shift into low gears and pedal fast.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles