Bafang M500/M600 Tuning & The BESST Tool

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Yes by default mine is set to 45Km/h, which is much too high compared to french law.
Can we also somehow configure the power applied for each level of assistance ? I really need to reduce the assistance on that level 1, it is much too powerful
No. Only things i mentioned.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Yes by default mine is set to 45Km/h, which is much too high compared to french law.
Can we also somehow configure the power applied for each level of assistance ? I really need to reduce the assistance on that level 1, it is much too powerful
For M600 the only solution found is to limit to 25 km/h, set in 9 mode and i use only the first 4.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Starting to look more into and ride my M600 ( done 200km now ) and starting to find its weakness’s. In principal the firmware compared to say the Bosch and even the current TSDZ2 is all about brute force. The programming is set to feisty or feisty. It’s a very powerful engine and you can see ( if the App is to be believed ) more than a 1000W’s at will in the top level. Is that good, well yes in that you can blow by your buddies on their Brose on the steep anytime you want. If you want to hook up with a couple of other EBikes, set high boost levels and then have a couple of hours of hooning around, then it’s a pretty decent bit of kit.

But that’s not what EBiking to me is all about. It’s lower level management is poor. Mine in the lowest level on startup pedalling ( or when you power on by strong pedalling force ) will immediately ramp up to about 550Ws and then hold that for a moment, then immediately dump all the boost back to about 350Ws. It’s all on, then all off, flat spot then set 350W’s as the level. It’s crude guys and doesn’t give that nice all most effortless cadence the other manufacturers seem to have evolved to.

I’m not wanting to diss the motor but Bafang until they get there App going properly, allow owners to set their own parameters like Specialized have done, will always have, despite the engineering quality an inferior set up. Pity as the motor has the potential to be a very good motor.

A question. Has anyone downloaded the latest M500 firmware into the M600 to try and tame those lower levels that you need at times when riding with slower or analogue bikes ?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Interesting is what will happen in case of uploading the M500 firmware to M600.

M500 with firmware from M600 showed correct peak power values on the display but in reality halved the power in due to one shunt resistor instead of two.
Maybe M600 with firmware from M500 will show lower power values but in reality will double them? It would allow to give around ~1.5kW in peak for M600 owners.
@ornias what do you think about this theory?

ornias

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
Interesting is what will happen in case of uploading the M500 firmware to M600.
Not very interesting, the same as the other way around.

M500 with firmware from M600 showed correct peak power values on the display but in reality halved the power in due to one shunt resistor instead of two.
No it showed incorrect power on the display. DUE to the shunt resistors being different.

Maybe M600 with firmware from M500 will show lower power values but in reality will double them? It would allow to give around ~1.5kW in peak for M600 owners.
@ornias what do you think about this theory?
Thats should be correct.

Thats going the wrong way, more power :)
Well, thats not the wrong way. Thats just whats going to happen and precisely why no one did it to achieve what you propose ;-)

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
@ornias Are you still looking for Javascript guys? happy to jump in and help where I can. I have besst tool, and 2 m600 motors.
I will be flashing to the
experimental 48v25a (38v lvc).bin
this weekend as its likely what I have been looking for. Any other user feedback with this firmware?

ornias

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
Any news here? Somebody still working on the software? Or is this a dead end….
My personal interest in this has never directly been open-source firmware, just protocol reverse enginering.
For the reverse enginering i'm mostly waiting on new BESST versions, firmwares and motors to come out.

For the OpenSource firmware, as openly discussed, the only actual opensource firmware builder in the community is not going to have anything workable for a long time and even if he would it would take months to years to get it into a state that is useable for anyone.

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
Starting to look more into and ride my M600 ( done 200km now ) and starting to find its weakness’s. In principal the firmware compared to say the Bosch and even the current TSDZ2 is all about brute force. The programming is set to feisty or feisty. It’s a very powerful engine and you can see ( if the App is to be believed ) more than a 1000W’s at will in the top level. Is that good, well yes in that you can blow by your buddies on their Brose on the steep anytime you want. If you want to hook up with a couple of other EBikes, set high boost levels and then have a couple of hours of hooning around, then it’s a pretty decent bit of kit.

But that’s not what EBiking to me is all about. It’s lower level management is poor. Mine in the lowest level on startup pedalling ( or when you power on by strong pedalling force ) will immediately ramp up to about 550Ws and then hold that for a moment, then immediately dump all the boost back to about 350Ws. It’s all on, then all off, flat spot then set 350W’s as the level. It’s crude guys and doesn’t give that nice all most effortless cadence the other manufacturers seem to have evolved to.

I’m not wanting to diss the motor but Bafang until they get there App going properly, allow owners to set their own parameters like Specialized have done, will always have, despite the engineering quality an inferior set up. Pity as the motor has the potential to be a very good motor.

A question. Has anyone downloaded the latest M500 firmware into the M600 to try and tame those lower levels that you need at times when riding with slower or analogue bikes ?

have you tried bafang stock fw 14.6, it was reported that the PAS 1-3 is milder than 46.7.

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
Hello Guys,
i do not have still the Bessttool, but if i have it, can i save my motor firmware with it and upload it to another motor?

Greets
Sava

Madforit23

Aug 2, 2021
UK
No you can't download the motor controller firmware from the motor to the best tool, you can only upload new firmware to the motor controller.

Hondy

Mar 11, 2021
simba124
Chiming in with my experience with the besst tool.
I own a Luna x1 which is previous generation of the dengfu frame and the m600.
We found out the hard way that the proprietary cranks (way too long) and the software on the m600 were both garbage.
Running in PAS levels 1-9 you were forced to go everywhere in level 5 or higher because 1-4 were useless. In the PAS levels 1-5, you had to use 3 and up and levels 1-2 never worked right.
Bafang got us the shorter cranks right away but they are still very heavy and there is weight to be saved there. They need to go to isis spline so we can put carbon cranks on the bike.
After months of complaining we finally were offered the besst tool for $100 and new firmware. Many of us jumped on that and got the programmers.
Through trial and error we got it programmed with new firmware and the difference has been amazing. It’s now finally riding like the bike it should have been. We have tons of documented steps and guides on electric-bike forum and in the Luna x1 Facebook group. Hopefully someone here finds that information useful.
Thanks rob for building the cheeb, you built what I wanted to but we can no longer order the e10 frame here in the USA. Someone bought rights to it... so cheers to taking on the project and making great content! Keep it up.
also the vinyl wrap is way easier than painting ?

View attachment 53386
Hello Nice to now there could be something changed for this M600 motor .Can you tell us the range you are having whith this luna bike ?and batt is used ?thx in advance .

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Looks like there's a new 48v M600 firmware out, see attached. Anyone tried it yet?

Attachments

• CRX10NC4818i132046.8-28-2230-20210907.zip
    42.7 KB · Views: 248

kolasport

Jan 24, 2022
center
Hi Is there somewhere please video instructions how to bypass besst with my login even on the old version 1.2.16 it is not possible to change the speed 25km / h

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Thoughts on the 46.8 M600 Firmware....

Coming from 46.7 I think if I had to pick a single word to describe the new firmware, then I'd pick "calm". 46.7 is pretty ridiculous; loads of power, instant ramp, loads of fun but pretty crude.

46.8 feels far, far tamer. Way less of that instant woosh of power, and much slower to get to max assistance. It's still good, and the power is still there, it just takes more to get to it. With this being my first eMTB I'm not sure whether that instant ramp is normal, but it certainly puts a smile on my face, along with anyone else who rode my bike.

That being said, there is one thing I REALLY like about the new firmware. When you stop pedalling with 46.7 the assistance nigh instantly drops off, which almost feels like someone has dabbed your brakes. With 46.8 that instant stop is gone, and the assistance ramps down gradually, almost to the point where you feel like you could coast indefinitely.

One other thing I noticed is that after the upgrade the motor was "stuttering", particularly after stopping and setting off again (e.g. at road juntions). Is this because I didn't run a calibration procedure after upgrading? Within 15 minutes of riding the problem dissapeared completely.

Has anyone else tried this version? What do you think?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles