Bafang M500 and M600 motors

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi. I think what you experienced before is what I'm experiencing now. We're you able to troubleshoot it?

It is clear no ? it is that i finally to understod, after a lot of research to solve my problem.
The only way when you have breakdown with bafang M series (and you are a simply customer), is to purchase new one motor.

RyeNiel

Jan 4, 2021
Philippines
It is clear no ? it is that i finally to understod, after a lot of research to solve my problem.
The only way when you have breakdown with bafang M series (and you are a simply customer), is to purchase new one motor.
That is sad to hear. So you have the same problem?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
That is sad to hear. So you have the same problem?

Not the same, but also random failure of controller i think. as i have allready explained. Sometime the on/off switch do not act after more than 1 hour of motor using, but it is not a switch failure cause i have tried with 2 different display/remote switch.

I solve the problem by invalidating the economic mode, cause when it's go to sleepf, i can't restart and i need to wait more than 1/2 hour to recover switch on. When it is bloqued "on", it's not a problem when i stop, cause i can switched off with the battery power switch.

pelle

May 25, 2021
Sweden
The MM G520.250 is usually offered together with the dp c230 display. I would prefer the color dp c18 display. Are they compatible? Does this motor sytem use a can bus?
Are they different width for chainwheel avaialble? I intend to use a Shimano 12sp system so a thin chainwheel would be preferable. Otherwise I would just need the appropriate spider and buy a shimano chainwheel if such a spider is available.
Reading the Bafang installation manual they mention a front and rear bus cable. I guess the front bus goes to the display but what about the rear bus cable. Is the rear for the speed sensor?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Yesterday I consumed more battery, and below 30% I observed that the motor did not provide full support anymore. Only up to appr. 150W, which is really painful when You still have to climb. M500 with 840Wh Dengfu battery. Anybody else observed this? Any possibility to change this?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Its normal. Its for safety, on low voltage the max output is limited.
That is why its important to have big battery, in fact the full power is avalabile not alltime, some bikes have safety threshold set to 50%.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Its normal. Its for safety, on low voltage the max output is limited.
That is why its important to have big battery, in fact the full power is avalabile not alltime, some bikes have safety threshold set to 50%.
Well but having it when battery is on 30% it is not the best ?. They could better limit the max output under 15% and not already at 30% ?‍♂️

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Well but having it when battery is on 30% it is not the best ?. They could better limit the max output under 15% and not already at 30% ?‍♂️
Unless Bafang actually count W/hs used or do a bit of coloumb counting which I doubt and you know exactly the capacity of the battery, using voltage levels really is not ideal as the voltage sags dramatically in the last 1/3rd of the battery capacity. This leads to an early shut off by the BMS even though there's still some oomph left.

Wisely Bafang choose to get you home, albeit you have to put a bit more work in than you would like. :cool:

pelle

May 25, 2021
Sweden
Hi,

New thread started to keep all the Bafang motor stuff organised here.

So in my Cheeb build I found the motor power a bit lacking compared to the competition.

Bafang contacted me and I’m waiting for some updated firmware with ‘a stronger version of the software to test’

This needs to be uploaded via their connection box, to a PC. It’s called a BESST tool and it’s for dealers to update firmware etc. They are sending one over.

Hopefully if it works well it can be rolled out to more M500 owners.
You ordered the Dengue 48V 840WA battery together with the E10 Frame. Where there any issues with battery-controller communication? What about battery charger? Was it also supplied with the battery? Was the frame prewired and equipped with battery sockets?
Regards,
Pelle

maucalvo

Jun 7, 2021
Costa Rica
Hello I need information of the last version of firmware for bafang M600 43V controler and how I can download it, if any have version 45.6 or 45.7 in a file for a 43V 20A controller I have talked to my supplier in china and they say they can't, bafang won't answer my emails either.

BallsyEMTB

Jun 14, 2021
South Africa
Hey guys. Anyone experienced issues with their Bafang M600 motor where the Torque Sensor is not picking up peddle force unless you really crank it? 1 of the motors we ordered only seems to assist when there is alot of force exerted on the peddle. The rest of our motors perform as normal.

PadreParada

May 13, 2019
Madrid, Spain
Hey guys. Anyone experienced issues with their Bafang M600 motor where the Torque Sensor is not picking up peddle force unless you really crank it? 1 of the motors we ordered only seems to assist when there is alot of force exerted on the peddle. The rest of our motors perform as normal.
Mine has also the same problem. First I thought that it was because of water damage, but I disassemble the motor and the torque sensor and found that there are mechanical problems in it. The axle has a broken teeth, and the broken part has damage the magnetic part of the torque sensor.
Here is the picture of the broken teeth in the axel.
Broken Teeth TS_LI.jpg

The broken teeth has damage torque sensor
Magnetic Part TS.jpg

I have clean and restore best I could and assemble back the torque sensor and motor. Now it assist a little better, but still have to apply too much force into the pedals.

I have the BESST tool and have tried all available firmwares and every possible parameter without any luck.

José

Last edited:

BallsyEMTB

Jun 14, 2021
South Africa
Mine has also the same problem. First I thought that it was because of water damage, but I disassemble the motor and the torque sensor and found that there are mechanical problems in it. The axle has a broken teeth, and the broken part has damage the magnetic part of the torque sensor.
Here is the picture of the broken teeth in the axel.
View attachment 64321

The broken teeth has damage torque sensor
View attachment 64320

I have clean and restore best I could and assemble back the torque sensor and motor. Now it assist a little better, but still have to apply too much force into the pedals.

I have the BESST tool and have tried all available firmwares and every possible parameter without any luck.

José

Sorry to hear about your torque sensor issue. Ours was a brand new motor. We are now dealing with Bafang after sales to get a replacement motor.

RyeNiel

Jan 4, 2021
Philippines
Mine was also brand new. It happened on the first ride. Good luck with Bafang, they take their time to answer.
in my case bafang was quick to answer but dengfu was the one who is late in replying. bafang even set up a group email with dengfu and me to resolve the warranty process. in the end they eventually replace me a new motor.

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
Hey all, My M600 kit came without a lockring. Defung cannot help (or will not) so trying to find a supplier...Can anybody help as I am so close to finishing my bike. cheers Nick

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
What is the firmware version you have 14.6 ?
People need to be careful. The Luna M600's and (maybe) the Dengfu M600's are 48V due to the large battery capacity. HOWEVER, there are 43V firmware versions floating around. Those kits that are OEM supplied by Bafang, with Bafang fabricated batteries (rather than after market) use a 43V nominal system (12S) you cannot effectively mix and match firmwares.

For a Factory Bafang System with Bafang Battery 43V the following firmware is the latest (or is was in April when I asked Bafang about it):
M500: M500-CRX10NC4313i142012.5-20191126.bin
M600: M600-CRX10NC4320i132045.7-28-2230-20200115.bin

I have not experienced issues with either of these firmwares...

Cheers,
Andy

Seqlat

Apr 18, 2021
PL/DE
People need to be careful. The Luna M600's and (maybe) the Dengfu M600's are 48V due to the large battery capacity. HOWEVER, there are 43V firmware versions floating around. Those kits that are OEM supplied by Bafang, with Bafang fabricated batteries (rather than after market) use a 43V nominal system (12S) you cannot effectively mix and match firmwares.

For a Factory Bafang System with Bafang Battery 43V the following firmware is the latest (or is was in April when I asked Bafang about it):
M500: M500-CRX10NC4313i142012.5-20191126.bin
M600: M600-CRX10NC4320i132045.7-28-2230-20200115.bin

I have not experienced issues with either of these firmwares...

Cheers,
Andy
BT F25 is 48v battery from bafang. i think you can use 43v on 48v battery, same as others use 52v battery on 48v firmware

GandalfR

Mar 22, 2021
Germany
Hi all, I have a similar issue with my M600 as some have mentioned on here, except mine has had this probably since minute 1. When travelling uphill and slowly the speed shown on my controller jumps around constantly. Whilst I'm actually normally travelling at around 8km/h, it skips from 8 to 30 to 45 and as high as 65km/h. Anything over 45km/h cuts the pedal assist, which can be a real nightmare on steep inclines. My motor was delivered slightly damaged, which I was told was nothing to worry about. I've now contacted melody and Bafang directly and I have my fingers crossed. I'll post the outcome once I know more...

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi all, I have a similar issue with my M600 as some have mentioned on here, except mine has had this probably since minute 1. When travelling uphill and slowly the speed shown on my controller jumps around constantly. Whilst I'm actually normally travelling at around 8km/h, it skips from 8 to 30 to 45 and as high as 65km/h. Anything over 45km/h cuts the pedal assist, which can be a real nightmare on steep inclines. My motor was delivered slightly damaged, which I was told was nothing to worry about. I've now contacted melody and Bafang directly and I have my fingers crossed. I'll post the outcome once I know more...

Roy68

Mar 4, 2021
UK Herts
I had exactly same issue when I first used my bike. Most likely cause is the motor is not getting a good signal from speed sensor, check your speed sensor connectors are pushed firmly home. In my case the problem was magnet not close enough to speed sensor, and I added 3 washers behind speed sensor

IMG_20210707_152936.jpg

Roy68

Mar 4, 2021
UK Herts
I had exactly same issue when I first used my bike. Most likely cause is the motor is not getting a good signal from speed sensor, check your speed sensor connectors are pushed firmly home. In my case the problem was magnet not close enough to speed sensor, and I added 3 washers behind speed sensor

View attachment 66092
Once I did that it works really well. I also changed the sensor fixing bolt for longer better quality stainless with hex head for Allen key.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles