Bafang M500 and M600 motors

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Yes, yes, bafang is also stating this - waterproofing is not a big deal. ;)))
And we know they have problems with waterproofing for ages and they dont give a shit.

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
Hello guys.
Kyokushin gave me an idea to modify this K1 Monitor a bit, to make it as automatic speed limiter.

Wow, @Dado, that’s very impressive!

It doesn’t happen to have (or could have added) ANT+ LEV integration? The ability to place a module like this somewhere in the frame, and then integrate with or simply display parameters on a Garmin bike computer or similar, would be pretty awesome.

@Casaihno has done something similar with the latest version of his awesome OpenSource ebike display: TSDZ2 EBike wireless standard (like Specialized Turbo Levo) - OpenSource - Endless Sphere & EasyDIY OpenSource Ebike display

Regardless, great work Dado! 👏👏

52nd

Apr 30, 2021
Israel
Hi guys, how can I test the m600 motor without riding it? I mean I've installed the motor, also crank arms. By pulling crankarms and holding a chainring nothing happens. If I connect a throttle - the motor spins the chainring. But as I see the assistant doesn't work or should it work with such artificial test case at all? It has a torque sensor which should react on a load to the chainring if I understandit properly. I believe the motor should assist during the start of riding even a rear wheel doesn't move. Am I wrong? Thanks

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
Hi guys, how can I test the m600 motor without riding it? I mean I've installed the motor, also crank arms. By pulling crankarms and holding a chainring nothing happens. If I connect a throttle - the motor spins the chainring. But as I see the assistant doesn't work or should it work with such artificial test case at all? It has a torque sensor which should react on a load to the chainring if I understandit properly. I believe the motor should assist during the start of riding even a rear wheel doesn't move. Am I wrong? Thanks

I think that you have to have the speed sensor installed.

Last edited:

K4ndiszucker

Jul 23, 2022
Germany
ok. I just saw that there are two websites. 1. dengfubike.com 2. dengfubikes.com
seems a little bit strange and scammy...
I considered to buy the E05 frame with the bafang m600 motor: E05

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
The speed sensor is installed. And if I rotate a wheel - the display shows speed.

Ok, so it works on throttle, you getting speed, so why you need to test more? For torque sensor to engage, you need more power on cranks and also you need to rottate with cranks (there is also pass sensor). When I press brakes and push into pedalls, motor is not trying to start (I dont have brake sensors).

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
I put m600 controller to m500. 1.1kW peak, still legit, still working in my daily riding.
What version of the m600 controller do you use in the m500 and where can I buy one, I would like to do it on my m500 too, since the 13A firmware is not enough for me. It will not burn out from a power of more than 1KW?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
What version of the m600 controller do you use in the m500 and where can I buy one, I would like to do it on my m500 too, since the 13A firmware is not enough for me. It will not burn out from a power of more than 1KW?
I have this one:
So far, so good, 1.1kW in peak. You only need to swap two wires on connector or make an adapter with plugs.

You may also add one shunt resitor then force M600 18A firmware upload - it also should work.

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
I have this one:
So far, so good, 1.1kW in peak. You only need to swap two wires on connector or make an adapter with plugs.

You may also add one shunt resitor then force M600 18A firmware upload - it also should work.
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]Thanks, with a shunt resistor is also an interesting idea but I doubt that adding a resistor will allow access to download the m600 firmware, I tried this but the download does not occur.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Shunt resistor will cause the power output will not be halved when you upload M600 firmware, and only you need to do to upload M600 firmware is to change in hex editor the first byte of it, to same as it in M500.

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
Shunt resistor will cause the power output will not be halved when you upload M600 firmware, and only you need to do to upload M600 firmware is to change in hex editor the first byte of it, to same as it in M500.
Ok, didn't know about that, thanks again. It will be necessary to take an interest in this topic, it will be a good experience if it works.

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
I have designed and coded small, portable and simple K1 CAN Monitor & Speed Unlocker - no need computer. Works ONLY with Bafang motors with CAN bus (green connector to display with "house" shape 5 pin connector).
This looks interesting, great work! Is this supposed to replace the display, and could one control it with a generic remote on the handlebar?
Will this also work with M510 or M820, as well as the new CANBUS M620s?

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
This looks interesting, great work! Is this supposed to replace the display, and could one control it with a generic remote on the handlebar?
Will this also work with M510 or M820, as well as the new CANBUS M620s?

Hello El Topo

No, it is meant as a realtime monitoring device. Not possible to cable buttons. Display is small.
Works with any CAN bafang motor. Have tested with M420,M500,M510,M600,M620 and 820 would work also. ;)

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
Ok, didn't know about that, thanks again. It will be necessary to take an interest in this topic, it will be a good experience if it works.
I took off my m500 controller and upon a detailed examination I found that it not only has one resistor less than the m600, but also that there are about 5-6 chips less, who knows what they are responsible for? I also can't find the same ones for sale.

IMG-4db7a39fa78ceebe8f59305438fd08f7-V.jpg

IMG_20220730_123619240.jpg

IMG_20220730_123619240~2.jpg

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Yes. M500 will handle up to around 1kW of peak power, where M600 can be pushed to around 2kW because have more mosfets.

theorerically, one shunt resistor more added to m500 board will be enough, to run stock m600 firmwares.

BastR

Aug 1, 2022
France
Hello e10 riders

I'm living in south of France and I'm looking for someone who can update my motor M500 because even with a 840Wh battery my friends with Bosch perf 620Wh climb faster and the M500 motor is very weak when battery reach 30% (even with max assit mod 5)

I don't want to buy the besst tool just for one update

I noticed after a clim Bosch motors are hot but you can touch the motor but the M500 you can't touch it, it's over 50°C

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
By the way, does somebody know what exactly does AI sensitivity setting do on M500?
It is for the display brightness. It is useless as the display is hard to read on sun even with 100%. I have disabled it.(if you are using dpc240/1)

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello e10 riders

I'm living in south of France and I'm looking for someone who can update my motor M500 because even with a 840Wh battery my friends with Bosch perf 620Wh climb faster and the M500 motor is very weak when battery reach 30% (even with max assit mod 5)

I don't want to buy the besst tool just for one update

I noticed after a clim Bosch motors are hot but you can touch the motor but the M500 you can't touch it, it's over 50°C

Hello, first of all check what firmware current you have now flashed. Max for M500 and for 48V is 13A. (There are experimental firmwares with higher current, but then motor gets too hot).

Weak when u reach 30% - this is intention of Bafang (I am also not OK with this) and is called safe ride home. You wont do anything with this. M510 motor are limiting power just from 10% - so here it is fine.

Dont worry about hot motor, when not more then 80C on outside all is fine.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Yes. M500 will handle up to around 1kW of peak power, where M600 can be pushed to around 2kW because have more mosfets.

theorerically, one shunt resistor more added to m500 board will be enough, to run stock m600 firmwares.

Kyoku, every motor can handle 2 times to 4 times more power, question is for how long. I been testing M510 and it wont handle 800W continous. And M600 is getting too hot with 1250W conti. Then you need to be smart and use peak power just in right time and then lower power for certain amount of time to let the motor again to cool down (what I saw temperature was raising 1C in 1sec with 1250W). So I do not recommend to put anything more then 800W (M510) and 1200W (M600), if you want just ride freely without any overheating issues.
You would need to have also temperature display if you wanna abuse the motor with 2kW - as I got already 140C with one M600 firmware and was afraid about demagnetization. Dont know where was temperature control... ou my dear Bafang ;))

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
It is for the display brightness. It is useless as the display is hard to read on sun even with 100%. I have disabled it.
Krokan, in fact it is AL - Auto light - outside brightness when it is switching the light on. And with this it will also turn down brightness of LCD.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles