Levo Gen 2 Are Brose & Specialized Fixing Their Motor Problem ?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
7000+ miles and 3 failed motors. But then in the same time I've gone through multiple forks, shocks, full brake systems, full pivot bearing sets, rear wheels & dropper posts in the same time. All MTB componants are unreliable. Motors no better or no worse than everything else?

I'm a really tame rider BTW who is pure s##t at enduro and bike parks. Have done many miles on road, gravel and XC as well, on the full suss Levo, where my (lack of) skills feel more at home.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
7000+ miles and 3 failed motors. But then in the same time I've gone through multiple forks, shocks, full brake systems, full pivot bearing sets, rear wheels & dropper posts in the same time. All MTB componants are unreliable. Motors no better or no worse than everything else?

I'm a really tame rider BTW who is pure s##t at enduro and bike parks. Have done many miles on road, gravel and XC as well, on the full suss Levo, where my (lack of) skills feel more at home.
My Levo’s original rear shock is still in perfect condition. Recently i swapped it to better Fox shock.
Old one is still for ”spare”.
Pivot bearings are all also in percect condition still after 10K.
Only component which has been unreliable was AXS dropper(not original part though). It lasted about a year.
And that s****y Shimano transmission, that i swapped to Sram when i got the Levo.
Sram GX rear deraillieur was also in perfect condition after almost 10K, just replaced it with GX AXS. Very good upgrade.👍

My rides are mainly in the woods, sometimes very muddy and wet. I ride also at winter, lots of snow and cold weather. Enduro style ”old man” riding.
All an all Levo has been fantastic; it has been thru a lot.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I have done a mix of everything and that includes rocky areas, uplift centres, wooded areas, moorland, mountains, sand dunes, road, and urban tarmac & gravel.

A variety of stiles of riding including Gravel/road riding, tame XC, extreme XC, Enduro (at a slow speed), and beginner-level Jumps & Downhill.

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have tips on how to identify what revision of the Brose motor is installed on Turbo Levo? I just dropped off my 2019 Levo to the dealer for warranty due to motor failure. This is the second motor that has failed me in the same fashion as the original one and I am wondering if the replacement I got was a 2.2 revision or 2.1. I am also wondering if the replacement that I will get will be the 2.2 revision. Anyone here with reliable Intel that they can share?

Thank everyone for your time!

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
You cant identify if its a 2.1/2.2 etc, but you can identify the manufacturing date in the app. E.g. 200211029 equals 200 = second gen motor manufactured 29th Oct 2021

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I just asked Nordic rider care. 🤷‍♂️

"Thanks for your mail.
From your frame number you have the 2.1 motor and still going strong.

Happy Riding. "

I have 2021 Levo comp.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Now my "unicorn" has got some interesting sounds coming from motor. Purl and knocking.
Maybe it's finally starting to die..

Remain to be seen what i'm going to do with my Levo.
-Full motor service is 650e+postages.
-New motor is 999e.
-Full service parts has ONLY 3months warranty.

I've contacted my LBS, they promised to investigate what are the options with this case.
I bought Levo from them 15.5. 2021. So, warranty has just expired.

B0BLWKDVJG_981753f9_cover.jpeg

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Now my "unicorn" has got some interesting sounds coming from motor. Purl and knocking.
Maybe it's finally starting to die..

Remain to be seen what i'm going to do with my Levo.
-Full motor service is 650e+postages.
-New motor is 999e.
-Full service parts has ONLY 3months warranty.

I've contacted my LBS, they promised to investigate what are the options with this case.
I bought Levo from them 15.5. 2021. So, warranty has just expired.
Who did you contact in Finland for this price?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Who did you contact in Finland for this price?
SMHJ e Bike parts.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
SMHJ e Bike parts.
You can ask Heikki at SMHJ to just repair the fault. Your motor probably does not require a full overhaul. As one of our partners, I will ask why he is only giving a 3 month guarantee too (y)

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
You can ask Heikki at SMHJ to just repair the fault. Your motor probably does not require a full overhaul. As one of our partners, I will ask why he is only giving a 3 month guarantee too (y)
I asked full overhaul, because motor has about 11000km behind. In very challenging conditions.
I assumed that it would be wise to "do it all the way".

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I asked full overhaul, because motor has about 11000km behind. In very challenging conditions.
I assumed that it would be wise to "do it all the way".
11,000Km is nothing for these bearings, they are the same bearings that are used in cars and motorcycles for hundreds of thousands of miles. If water has not made it's way too far into the motor half your bearings may be fine and this will half your bill! It's normally worth a look first.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
11,000Km is nothing for these bearings, they are the same bearings that are used in cars and motorcycles for hundreds of thousands of miles. If water has not made it's way too far into the motor half your bearings may be fine and this will half your bill! It's normally worth a look first.
Okay, thanks for the info! :)

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
And it happened, after 3500km (10 months) something is stripped in my motor (belt?). Motor whines, but almost no power output.
Before (last month) torque sensor worked erratically.

Question, do you know if Specialized gives another 2y warranty on a new motor (from warranty replacement) ?

Piflipvtt

Jan 24, 2019
France
And it happened, after 3500km (10 months) something is stripped in my motor (belt?). Motor whines, but almost no power output.

Question, do you know if Specialized gives another 2y warranty on a new motor (from warranty replacement) ?
YES IF YOU ARE THE FIRST OWNER

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Not 2 years specifically on motor.
Some have 4 years warranty on motor 19 to 21 motor I think ? .

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO

Depends on where you live and what are your government laws ...

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
I was told when I had mine replaced last year that they did not extend the warranty when a motor was replaced. Granted, I have a '21 Kenevo and live in USA.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My last replacement motor went a month before the four year warranty. I was told when my warranty finally runs out and that motor fails we will worry about it then .

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Yesterday on my way home from work it happened. I thought i hit pig or something, "Kviik!" "TRRRR!!!". Motor took it's last breath.
Luckily you can ride Levo manually though. Just came to work with Levo. Manually. 😁
It was a bit heavy ride with 25kg bike which has Cannibal at front and MM soft at rear.
giphy.gif

But i have ordered frameset and parts for my manual rig. Maybe it's time to ride with manual bike for a while. I think my fitness has lost it's best days; two and half years ebiking. It shows, had to admit.

So, maybe i will change my training methods for a while.

So my 2000 Turbo Levo motor (2nd one) recently broke after only 1900 miles. USA Spesh not going to warranty it (it was replaced March 2020).
So I removed it myself to send to Bike Motor Centre in Tennessee. When I removed it I noticed the motor has been opened before on the belt side - scratches and seal broken.
The belt was shredded.
So it looks like Spesh had put in a used & repaired motor!
I love riding the bike (on fair weather California trails) but no more Spesh for me until they start using Bosch or? motors. I just can't trust this thing on long outback rides! I have 3 friends who are riding Turbo Levos on my recommendation and they have all had replacement motors! No more recommendations from me!

Last edited:

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Yesterday on my way home from work it happened. I thought i hit pig or something, "Kviik!" "TRRRR!!!". Motor took it's last breath.
Luckily you can ride Levo manually though. Just came to work with Levo. Manually. 😁
It was a bit heavy ride with 25kg bike which has Cannibal at front and MM soft at rear.
giphy.gif

But i have ordered frameset and parts for my manual rig. Maybe it's time to ride with manual bike for a while. I think my fitness has lost it's best days; two and half years ebiking. It shows, had to admit.

So, maybe i will change my training methods for a while.

One thing for sure the manual bike is a lot easier to ride than an eBike with a failed motor. The difference is massive

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
One thing for sure the manual bike is a lot easier to ride than an eBike with a failed motor. The difference is massive
Can't remember having half the problems with a manual bike or hearing about anyone who has. Every day here someone has an issue where they have to ask for help and I don't meen electric or motor problems. Then again I would never have been on a forum before my ebike. Rant over.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mtbing since 86 never needed a torque wrench
Oh.... but wait a sec, haven't you seen the warning sticker that manufacturers slap on new e-bikes! :LOL:

View attachment 125688
I do NO more maintenance than on a normal bike ! In fact less as no BB bearing and less washing
Not having that like. Never new anyone that had a torque wrench , tire pressure gauge or chain measuring tool in 1986 . Won't mention compresser and pullers for cranks, cush core. that thing that blows up your tyre we a massive woomph . Need a trailer behind you soon. All in jest remember.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Two old programmers reminiscing.

(guy 1) "Back in my day we didn't have these fancy schmancy programming languages that do all the work for you. All we had was zeroes and ones."

(guy 2) "You had ones?!?!"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles