Levo Gen 2 Are Brose & Specialized Fixing Their Motor Problem ?

philmedomsley

Apr 28, 2020
Durham
I am lucky as well. Two and a half year old Levo 4500+ miles, ride all through the year in the north of England. My partners Levo has 5000+ miles. Both bikes jet washed after every ride. Neither bike has had any issues.
Update. First new motor fitted this week after 5000+ miles. Hope the new one lasts as long.😀

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Unfortunately, It's common but not normal. In your case the left hand crankshaft bearing is in desperate need of replacement. As this bearing sounds so bad, I would suspect a few of the other bearings too.
Well done for doing this simple test and spotting this issue though! You may have saved yourself from having a totally destroyed motor soon.
Edit Would that noise get you a warranty replacement ?

Last edited:

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Well I’ve plagued this thread for long enough in search, now I’ve found…
An unusual failure and cause of my cracking/creaking under load from previous pages
IMG_9336.jpeg
IMG_9332.jpeg

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
No plastic casing damage these are the rear most motor mounts so shielded from potential, tucked behind chain ring and chainstay
On the other side, there’s a hairline fracture on one side
I could categorically rule out loose bolts & overtorque

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Well I’ve plagued this thread for long enough in search, now I’ve found…
An unusual failure and cause of my cracking/creaking under load from previous pages
View attachment 115775 View attachment 115776
This usually happens if one of the motors mounting bolts are tightened to full torque before the others are nipped up. It can also happen if the other three mounting bolts loosen over time, while one remains tight.

This is a fixable problem, but unfortunately not as straight forward as it looks. The motor body contains the planetary gear and electric motor assembly, and this is pressed together in a way that is extremely difficult to remove. The problem being that the three phase electric motor has an angle magnet mounted on the end of the armature that is calibrated to the ECU (the motors brain). This means that you can't just change the motor body for a new one as the motor angle will be wrong, causing noise, lack of power or overheating. Being magnesium, the case is also virtually impossible to weld.
We have designed and made a very expensive 10 tonne hydraulic hand puller to remove the internal components and press them into a new case. This way we can keep the original ECU and drive train.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
Hello, eBike Motor Centre.
Hello, I think my motors' fooked!
OK, whats it doing?
The pedals are stiff to turn backwards and forwards.
Have you changed the front chainring lately?
Yes.
Did you use the Brose tool when you pulled the spider off?
No.
OK, send it in and we'll sort it out.
I changed the chainring by myself but didn't have to pulled the spider off, was just like every other chainring. Is my bike fooked? :ROFLMAO:

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Well elated I can update
Whilst time constraint, my time out of country delayed repair

My motor has been replaced under warranty, a big thanks to Bike Remedy, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire for sublime service & equal thanks to Specialized warranty

With equal merit, @Bearing Man gave unpresidential support & resolve prior to my approach for warranty, communicated a solution very timely in response to post, which echoes the service excellence we should all hold of him, Peter really is a top bloke and goes that extra mile, over and above - Thank you!

Bike was taken home today, full bolt check with torque wrench and manual, with such a strong support network I’ve lost all inhibitions of trying to destroy! Time to enjoy “again”

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I never bought one because of all the failures i read about.
Maybe in 5 years if the next 5 years they get their shit together.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Some people focus on the good, some people focus on the bad.

I crossed the 4 year mark a month ago and still have no purchase regrets. I had one no-questions-asked motor replacement about 3 years ago, and the replacement is still quiet and trouble free. The Levo does everything I want it to.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Two of are bikes are out of warranty so probably be buying a motor soon always seem to fail around 2000 miles

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I'm little confused about all these broken motors.
I rode year around in Finland. Sometimes it's -30celsius, sometimes +30 celsius. Rain, snow, mud. About 80% of time i use turbo, all out and no mercy. One broken aftermarket motor guard, so there's been lots of hits also.
19CA860A-1B8B-4A69-9C8F-47E1A4D4E2DC.jpeg

In winter time bike is outside 8 hours per day, five days per week.
I don't remove battery at all. So it is sometimes 8 hours at -30 celsius.

9500 km now and original motor. Battery health 100% 🤷

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I'm little confused about all these broken motors.
I rode year around in Finland. Sometimes it's -30celsius, sometimes +30 celsius. Rain, snow, mud. About 80% of time i use turbo, all out and no mercy. One broken motor guard, so there's been lots of hits also.

In winter time bike is outside 8 hours per day, five days per week.
I don't remove battery at all. So it is sometimes 8 hours -30 celsius.

9500 km now and original motor. Battery health 100% 🤷
That's not an ebike, that's a Unicorn!

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Brose or Specialized will probably buy that motor back from you its definitely a collectors item.
My Levo has been so good partner that when time comes i will sent motor for repairing.
I don't see any reason to even look new bike.
Maybe 2024 Levo someday, when we see what Spesh has to offer then.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My Levo has been so good partner that when time comes i will sent motor for repairing.
I don't see any reason to even look new bike.
Maybe 2024 Levo someday, when we see what Spesh has to offer then.
Mine as well fantastic bike taken me places I probably wouldn't manage on ordinary bike as im older. 9000 miles in 4 years but had its fair share of troubles my Levo. Enjoy

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

2020 Pro, 1200 miles 4 motors, current motor is intermittently running on for several seconds, utter shit motors, 11 motors replaced on 3 bike's over 7 years.

Absolutely love the bike and Specialized has been fantatstic on warranty including two full refunds, motors are "utter shit", oh I said that already

Warm Regards Ruti

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
High Rock Ruti

2020 Pro, 1200 miles 4 motors, current motor is intermittently running on for several seconds, utter shit motors, 11 motors replaced on 3 bike's over 7 years.

Absolutely love the bike and Specialized has been fantatstic on warranty including two full refunds, motors are "utter shit", oh I said that already

Warm Regards Ruti

That would be enough for me to swear off eBikes altogether.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
High Rock Ruti

Warm Regards Ruti
You should get a Giant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles