Anyone removed the Trek Rail Battery Lock?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Roy, thanks for your offer and I will take you up on that! I had previously offered, but I'm headed out to Moab UT tomorrow for a week or so and it appears to be crunch time on this. Happy to pay Arron 1st and venmo you the US shipping later.
I noticed that not all you US guys have the 10 posts necessary to start a PM, so I've mailed you all and Arron so you can chat. Suggested one way you could go about it, but it's upto you guys from there really.

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
Interesting, so the new angle bracket connects the top end of the battery directly to the downtube via the two screws? So you can still remove the battery if needed but it's a bit more of a faff. Also removes the worry of losing the keys!

Anyone in the UK making the brackets? If not, might give it a go but will have to get the right size thread tap.
put slots in the plate and a capture plate with the threaded holes in behind it slots will allow for dodgy alighnment capture plate will pull it all snug, just like in an spd shoe

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
i run a company called bicycle manufacturing m current thing is servicing gen 4 s and modifying motors so they weigh about a kilo less than stock would be an easy job to knock up battery plates utterly surprised no one with a 3d printer is making a plastic part with slots and a capture plate i just basically did a rough 3d cad model im going to stick it in my mrs powerfly see whats occuring if its groov im going to knock something up for my focus and Sam

bracket.PNG

Last edited:

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
i run a company called bicycle manufacturing m current thing is servicing gen 4 s and modifying motors so they weigh about a kilo less than stock would be an easy job to knock up battery plates utterly surprised no one with a 3d printer is making a plastic part with slots and a capture plate i just basically did a rough 3d cad model im going to stick it in my mrs powerfly see whats occuring if its groov im going to knock something up for my focus and Sam

View attachment 100470
You can make a gen 4 Bosch a kilo lighter?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside

View attachment 100470
How would you hold the capture plate and allow adjustment once the battery is installed in the frame?

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
They don’t seem to be trading any longer.
Well I got the name for the company but changed it a few years ago when I went back doing F1 and defence work so yes it’s still exists to cover the products I sold under that name but I still have a workshop and still do bike work and own the trademarks if I wanted Toni could start up again tomorrow but it’s easier to trade under my current ltd co
How would you hold the capture plate and allow adjustment once the battery is installed in the frame?
photos to follow im already on version 3 but my interest in this isn’t for the trek really it’s for my focus Sam I just happened to have my mrs Powerfly lying around so in for a penny as they say

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Well I got the name for the company but changed it a few years ago when I went back doing F1 and defence work so yes it’s still exists to cover the products I sold under that name but I still have a workshop and still do bike work and own the trademarks if I wanted Toni could start up again tomorrow but it’s easier to trade under my current ltd co

photos to follow im already on version 3 but my interest in this isn’t for the trek really it’s for my focus Sam I just happened to have my mrs Powerfly lying around so in for a penny as they say
Anymore info on the motor lightening, sounds interesting?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
@Arron M did your bike have the battery plate? I presume for newer bikes that do, we need to remove the plate assembly completely?
This has already crossed my mind too
My thoughts are the battery plate is giving a good deal of support to the bottom battery mount because of the angle on the plate holding it
For me at least i will be doing a work around to leave it there if need be as i dont want to remove the added support given to the bottom mount.

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
@Arron M did your bike have the battery plate? I presume for newer bikes that do, we need to remove the plate assembly completely?

[mention]Dave_B [/mention] my bike does not have the additional plate, and an earlier post indicated that it would be removed. I can’t be certain of the compatibility if wanting to retain the plate.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I can’t see any issue with removing the plate. It’s purpose was only to dictate the distance between top and bottom plate.

I have not looked how the plate connects to the battery plates? Im not yet even sure how to remove it and once removed if spacers are required to return the bottom battery plate to the correct position?

No doubt we will with through this together once we all start fitting the bracket.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I can’t see any issue with removing the plate. It’s purpose was only to dictate the distance between top and bottom plate.

I have not looked how the plate connects to the battery plates? Im not yet even sure how to remove it and once removed if spacers are required to return the bottom battery plate to the correct position?

No doubt we will with through this together once we all start fitting the bracket.
There was a good few parts to change when they were fitting the plate to bikes originally according to the alignment thread if these parts are backward compatible without the plate time will tell ,
but as you say we will definitely figure it out one way or another :)

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
[mention]Dave_B [/mention] am I correct that everyone who wanted one is accounted for?
Maybe not [mention]sqzer [/mention] ?

I’ve got 5 going to USA shortly and a few left over.

If anyone else wants one let me know, but international freight is a bit of a killer on a single item.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@BuzzinHornets Not sure if you're monitoring this thread.

You should have a PM (little envelope icon at the top) with details.

Team America are all complete except for you, can you confirm in the mail if you're in or out please.

Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles