Anyone regretted switching to an emtb?

Rotwilder

Apr 19, 2019
West Yorkshire
I regret not cycling at all for 5 years to enjoy pub life more. At 65 I bought my Rotwild HT+29 Pro 2017 (in 2016) and lost 3 stone including an eat all World cruise on QE Cunard. It’s taken just under 4 years to lose 4 stone, and the ebike has had 2 replacement motors, one that cost £950 out of warranty. I do enjoy the ebike although I am a road cyclist at heart. I’ve just replaced the drive train after about 10000 miles. Using the ebike is similar to having a Ferrari-always needing maintenance! I have a lung tester MTB Which I have more or less given to my grandson; and my dream bike of 1983, which just this weekend I have decided to prepare for use again. This was after looking at a friends Canyon Ultimate, which weigh‘s in at just under 7 kg. It felt like I breath of fresh air! My road bike compared to the Canyon at 7.5kg, almost a third the weight of my ebike. So, in my case it was necessary to have an ebike, it would’ve been impossible to ride my road bike at nearly 18 stone! Even at 14stone 12lb, my present weight, I will struggle. My aim is to get below 13 stone and ride my road bike as easily as I ride my ebike, but faster! I would say if you do downhill biking, an ebike has got to be more fun. Sorry for the long appraisal!

mtndug

May 21, 2020
Ashland Oregon, USA
As the title says. I’ve not heard anyone ever say they regretted going to an emtb and made the switch back so I’m just wondering, is there anyone on here that are still on the fence or regretted their decision to get an emtb?
Not at all. Got old, fatter and the mountains stayed steep. I couldn't enjoy it any more. Now, I'm having a blast riding again.

Julie

May 24, 2020
San Diego
I'm not crazy about my Levo Turbo. It's a very nice bike, and fun as can be on fireroads and double track. But I find the weight and sluggish handling to be problematic on more technical riding. I am a senior lady, 5'4" and 115 lbs ready to ride. The Small frame has quite a bit longer reach than my Small regular bikes and it is quite noticeable to me (with the shortest possible stem on it). I can't lift the bike onto a bike rack without risking a back injury. I tore a meniscus in my knee lifting it off the rack. I can't work on the brakes or drivetrain because I sure can't hang it on a bikestand. It scares me to death on off camber exposed trails, partly due to the 29er wheels making it feel top heavy compared to my 27.5s on my Pivot Mach 4 and Mach 6. Sooooooo...I have decided to limit my rides on it to terrain that is manageable for me, and stick to my other bikes on the rest. I don't exactly regret buying it as I now know what the hoopla is all about, but it isn't the slam dunk winner for me like it is for a lot of other people.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I'm not crazy about my Levo Turbo. It's a very nice bike, and fun as can be on fireroads and double track. But I find the weight and sluggish handling to be problematic on more technical riding. I am a senior lady, 5'4" and 115 lbs ready to ride. The Small frame has quite a bit longer reach than my Small regular bikes and it is quite noticeable to me (with the shortest possible stem on it). I can't lift the bike onto a bike rack without risking a back injury. I tore a meniscus in my knee lifting it off the rack. I can't work on the brakes or drivetrain because I sure can't hang it on a bikestand. It scares me to death on off camber exposed trails, partly due to the 29er wheels making it feel top heavy compared to my 27.5s on my Pivot Mach 4 and Mach 6. Sooooooo...I have decided to limit my rides on it to terrain that is manageable for me, and stick to my other bikes on the rest. I don't exactly regret buying it as I now know what the hoopla is all about, but it isn't the slam dunk winner for me like it is for a lot of other people.
You could try the Liv Intrigue e+ Pro? It will still be heavy but Liv are Giant's female-specific bikes, with geometry designed to suit women. Sizes go down to extra small, and have 27.5" wheels. You might feel a lot more at home on a Liv. Shame to spend all that money on a Levo and not be able to fully enjoy it

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
No regrets at all. It took me longer than I'd like to have afforded the eMTB though.

I still have a HT, full sus, dirt jumper and the eMTB. I still ride the HT and full sus more, and that comes more down more to the people I regularly ride with. I use the HT for longer more XC fireroad and basic trail rides, the endro for hitting big jumps and rough downhill segments (endro is really my gig), and the eMTB when travelling further or with others on eMTB. Some times I'll ride the commute to and from the trails on my eMTB and ride around with the others with the motor off or the occassional bit of eco. Even when only riding with the motor on, I still think I push myself harder and am getting fitter, not the reverse.

There still are the stupid comments from naysayers - though they still ride modern bikes with modern geo, quality suspension and drive trains, oneday they will accept that eMTB is just another progression and everything has it's place. Though even the few that have tried the bike still feel like it's cheating (even in eco), but my opinion is only if you go easy and let the motor do all the work. I usually stick to the lowest mode I can, and I still ride as hard as I can up those climbs and during my rides. I mostly ride Eco. I have a Merida e160 9000 with the Shimano e8000, and I have eco on med (40% 30nm), trail on med (90% and reduced to 50nm from 70nm via stunlocker), boost on low (150nm 70nm). I sometimes do a whole ride in trail, othertimes mixing between modes and motor off and have great fun.

I am trying to make more eMTB friends, and get on more bigger and fun rides. It floats so well on jumps and feels great on rough terrain. Still need to get the suspension dialled a bit more, mainly on the lowspeed sensitivity, it's still a little rough when going slow, but amazing faster. Still waiting to get a tougher quality bash guard made up for it, so I have not hit some of the gnarlier stuff I would on my endro, but I want to give it a try.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
No regrets. Sold my conventional MTB when I realised I hadn't ridden it for a year; always chose the EMTB when going out for a ride.
Exact same here, my E160 900e has been faultless, just charge and ride charge and ride. I sold my very expensive hardly ever ridden Intense Carbine Pro Build just last week because it just wasn't getting ride time.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
No regrets. Since I have my ebike I appreciate riding my regular bikes more. It has its place but @53 (and healthy) I just enjoy riding my regular trail bike and gravel bike more. No worries about range on longer rides, less things to think about, more freedom. I still like my ebike but it took the backseat.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
No regrets in buying it, but it's not been ridden much in the last 5 months since I started to ride my unassisted bikes more and lost weight and gained some fitness, the ebike is great fun to ride but for me it isn't a replacement for my unassisted bikes it's the bike I use for weekends away in the Lakes,Scotland etc when riding multiple days, which for me it's the best bike for that kind of riding

Velo Mangler

Aug 8, 2019
Brevard, NC
Yes, because I do not ride my pedal bike as often. I feel I have lost some overall fitness because it is much easier to blast the hills then
to work up them. I ride the Levo at 50 assist and 50 percent. E- mountain bikes are addicting. So I'm on the fence.

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Yes, because I do not ride my pedal bike as often. I feel I have lost some overall fitness because it is much easier to blast the hills then
to work up them. I ride the Levo at 50 assist and 50 percent. E- mountain bikes are addicting. So I'm on the fence.
This is why I keep my modes set pretty low, so I have to push it to keep up with mates on ebikes. I also always ride at my max ability, and keep my mode in eco as much as i can, and only rare trail mode. Pretty much never use boost except if I'm trying to climb something utterly pointless for fun.

I have a Merida e160 9000 with the Shimano e8000, and I have eco on med (40% 30nm), trail on med (90% and reduced to 50nm from 70nm via stunlocker), boost on low (150nm 70nm). I sometimes do a whole ride in trail, othertimes mixing between modes and motor off and have great fun.

I ride 2-3 times a week on my regular bike, compared to probably 1-2 times max on the e-bike, but that's more to do with who I have to ride with, I have more mates that ride acoustic than emtb.... Though who knows how that'll change over time or what people I keep meeting in the emtb scene.

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
I do not regret having more fun than I ever had on my city Mountain Bike Association, 400' hill of trails on 200 acres. I have been riding it for 40 years. I am 65 and just had my 2cd anniversary of my Giant Epro+1.

It has given me more health than the old churn.
Not sure why?
My above the knee muscles are less. Yet with the overall double bike(FUN) time... WEll... I am Feeling great!
I didn't even go to a Dr. this year.

FUN = MORE

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Great decision for me....sold my comparable FS analog two months later. Have not looked back at all....

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Love my emtb..still love my old mtb ..but gifted it to my son.
What I really can't get my head around though are these "new" old bikes that folks no longer ride ..analog & acoustic ..cant say I've ever tried either ..and only heard about them since joining this forum ..have I missed something ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Has revolutionised our lives for sure, not just the riding but learning how to maintain them, cleaning and servicing them etc is all part of the enjoyment.
The fact that they are not indestructible I believe is a good thing as you get a certain sense of achievement if your chain / cassette / motor has lasted x number of miles etc.

Regarding kitchen items, I have both an analogue can opener and an electric one. Both virtually indestructible and I kind of take them for granted and have a rather ambivalent attitude towards them. I don’t even lube them.

funnily enough, the analogue can opener is made by Bosch. It’s a strange world we live in

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
No regrets here, been riding mountain bikes for 20 odd years, but recently (400miles ago) bought an e bike.

It's brilliant, but I won't sell the old bike just yet, it'll still get used on uplift days, foreign biking trips.

It'd be great if the ebike were lighter, but I don't want to compromise on power, I would compromise on range though. I am toying with getting a smaller 500wh battery for day to day use to save a kilo of weight, and then use both batteries on those massive days out where one battery isn't enough. If there was a significantly smaller /lighter battery available I'd probably go as small as 400wh if it were significantly lighter than the 625wh battery I have.

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Love my SL bought it just before lockdown. I was reluctant to sell my analogue bike, but I developed a heart problem so had to keep heart rate down. This can be easily controlled now. It feels like my old bike and not too heavy so I can lift it easily.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
No regrets at all. It took me longer than I'd like to have afforded the eMTB though.

I still have a HT, full sus, dirt jumper and the eMTB. I still ride the HT and full sus more, and that comes more down more to the people I regularly ride with. I use the HT for longer more XC fireroad and basic trail rides, the endro for hitting big jumps and rough downhill segments (endro is really my gig), and the eMTB when travelling further or with others on eMTB. Some times I'll ride the commute to and from the trails on my eMTB and ride around with the others with the motor off or the occassional bit of eco. Even when only riding with the motor on, I still think I push myself harder and am getting fitter, not the reverse.

There still are the stupid comments from naysayers - though they still ride modern bikes with modern geo, quality suspension and drive trains, oneday they will accept that eMTB is just another progression and everything has it's place. Though even the few that have tried the bike still feel like it's cheating (even in eco), but my opinion is only if you go easy and let the motor do all the work. I usually stick to the lowest mode I can, and I still ride as hard as I can up those climbs and during my rides. I mostly ride Eco. I have a Merida e160 9000 with the Shimano e8000, and I have eco on med (40% 30nm), trail on med (90% and reduced to 50nm from 70nm via stunlocker), boost on low (150nm 70nm). I sometimes do a whole ride in trail, othertimes mixing between modes and motor off and have great fun.

I am trying to make more eMTB friends, and get on more bigger and fun rides. It floats so well on jumps and feels great on rough terrain. Still need to get the suspension dialled a bit more, mainly on the lowspeed sensitivity, it's still a little rough when going slow, but amazing faster. Still waiting to get a tougher quality bash guard made up for it, so I have not hit some of the gnarlier stuff I would on my endro, but I want to give it a try.

Trying to nurse my 1 bar of battery home in Eco up some rather hilly terrain was an absolute killer even in lowest gear. I did actually have to walk some of it. Yes it can be an almighty tough work out.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Have regretted buying walkie talkies and headsets to try and keep in contact with the Mrs.
Awful devices and the sound is dreadful. Would not recommend

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No regrets here, been riding mountain bikes for 20 odd years, but recently (400miles ago) bought an e bike.

It's brilliant, but I won't sell the old bike just yet, it'll still get used on uplift days, foreign biking trips.

It'd be great if the ebike were lighter, but I don't want to compromise on power, I would compromise on range though. I am toying with getting a smaller 500wh battery for day to day use to save a kilo of weight, and then use both batteries on those massive days out where one battery isn't enough. If there was a significantly smaller /lighter battery available I'd probably go as small as 400wh if it were significantly lighter than the 625wh battery I have.
You should have bought a Focus Jam2. 378Whr frame battery, with an option to add another 378Whr onto the downtube for the big days out. My size Large Jam2 weighs 20.4kg, 22.6kg with the TEC pack.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
You should have bought a Focus Jam2. 378Whr frame battery, with an option to add another 378Whr onto the downtube for the big days out. My size Large Jam2 weighs 20.4kg, 22.6kg with the TEC pack.

I did look at those, and its a great idea,but i didnt want the old shimano motor (this was the main reason for rejecting), and the reach is too short for a given seat tube length, and the head angle is on the steep side (but this isnt a big deal), suspension travel was too short,and the suspension spec for the money wasnt good enough. Oh and it wasnt available at the time i was buying -Other than that it was perfect :)

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
As the title says. I’ve not heard anyone ever say they regretted going to an emtb and made the switch back so I’m just wondering, is there anyone on here that are still on the fence or regretted their decision to get an emtb?
When I frist got my eMTB, I figured it would be a 50/50 split eMTB/aMTB. But after a year it became 90/10 eMTB/aMTB and now I have sold the aMTB. It's all eMTB now, and not going back to a aMTB looking at buying my 2nd eMTB:)

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
30 years mtb, 1 year emtb. Emtb was the best thing ever and was the pivot point I needed to go full moto. Sold the emtb and don’t ride the acoustic bike barely at all. Dirtbike gets ridden 5 days a week. No regrets!!!!?
3AA8A729-22FE-482C-8722-D0AA1A4EFA96.jpeg
566443D1-91A5-41C6-9488-9D039513DFFA.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles