Anyone gone from EMTB back to normal MTB & regretted it??

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
After buying a Vitus E-Escarpe back in April and initially loving the EMTB set up, I stupidly wanted to try my hand at riding a motorbike, anyway long story short due to funds I had to sell the ebike to pay for it and didn't end up liking the motorbike life (much prefer mountain biking) so sold the motorbike after only 5 weeks :rolleyes:.
So with my money back in my pocket i wanted another mtb but thought this time due to winter coming i'd just buy a hardtail. I wanted a Nukeproof Scout but they were out of stock everywhere and I ended up coming across a Nukeproof reactor in stock so went ahead and ordered it. What a mistake, on my first ride i thought what the hell have I done, I didn't enjoy the bike at all (a few faults with the bike also didn't help) and all I could think of was I should have got another ebike. Luckily I bought the bike from Wiggle and they had the 30 day test ride on so they have confirmed I can send it back. I'm now on the lookout for another ebike and have decided between a Cube or Whyte (any opinions?)

So back to my original question, has anyone gone from an ebike back to a normal bike and regretted it? If so did you end up going back to and ebike like i am going to?

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
I sold my first ebike after riding an analogue Santa Cruz in Chile last year and falling in love with it, when I got back to the UK I bought a Megatower and a Hightower, after the first few rides on it I realised that I missed my ebike and that analogue bikes are something I only really enjoy when there are gondola’s or uplifts available. I now have a highly pimped Cube Stereo 160 and I love it.

4EA7664A-BFE6-49CC-B106-358CFF873057.jpeg

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
I sold my first ebike after riding an analogue Santa Cruz in Chile last year and falling in love with it, when I got back to the UK I bought a Megatower and a Hightower, after the first few rides on it I realised that I missed my ebike and that analogue bikes are something I only really enjoy when there are gondola’s or uplifts available. I now have a highly pimped Cube Stereo 160 and I love it.

View attachment 43183
Cool bike, im looking the 140's and 160 SL's but might stretch to the TM spec. Where i live in Calderdale it is hills everywhere so it's a ball ache getting to to sticks where i actually want to ride, so as an overweight lazy bugger an ebike is the perfect solution don't know why i didn't get another in the first place.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I ride both depending upon how I feel. After winter the ebike will get me ready for the analogue bike again.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Been there done that and now have an SL modded everything and it’s mint . Always want what I don’t have tho, mistake I’ve made is just having 1 bike, will pick up a normal bike once this COVID price hike as gone down.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
My first ride after 2-3 months on an e-bike was a bit of a shock, but I switch now and like both. While my ebike is not particularly heavy at 46 lbs, my Yeti is around 29 and handles better so I prefer the rough technical downhills on the Yeti. I did lose power since we climb so much here, and I now switch back and forth. I do also have other bikes- gravel, road, fat (for snow only) and ride them all. The fattie only sees snow.

naharris212

Aug 1, 2020
San Diego
If your not into the lower power models like Levo SL, you might check out the Rocky Mountain altitude and instincts. They def ride closer to a traditional bike the way the motor is setup using a torque sensor and absolutely rip!
best of luck!

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I have 3 Bikes currently. Downhill is my 2019 Kenevo, my all around bikes are a 2020 Norco VLT Sight, and a 2019 S-Works Levo. When I am not in the dirt, I have a 2012 Orbea for the road and also a 2019 S-Works Stumpjumper. I love all my bikes and trade off and on for different reasons. No regrets on any of my analog or Ebikes. Love the different feelings I get from each. Here is a pic of most of them

62459699891__83FC1BD7-41D8-4878-9502-89DBB1D88F0B.jpg

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I got an ebike, then a regular bike to go along with it to use in the bike park or when we go camping but I much prefer my ebike. I never have to stop, can keep going and it has allowed me to improve my skills so quickly!

Jul 4, 2020
Surrey
I have 3 Bikes currently. Downhill is my 2019 Kenevo, my all around bikes are a 2020 Norco VLT Sight, and a 2019 S-Works Levo. When I am not in the dirt, I have a 2012 Orbea for the road and also a 2019 S-Works Stumpjumper. I love all my bikes and trade off and on for different reasons. No regrets on any of my analog or Ebikes. Love the different feelings I get from each. Here is a pic of most of them

View attachment 43402

How do you keep your tyres so clean?

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I'm in Texas so only dust on the tires mostly and I try and microfiber them after every ride for the side walls. The rest is just clean I guess cuz no mud. When there is mud in the areas I ride, it is a no no to ride the trails at all.

Jul 4, 2020
Surrey
I'm in Texas so only dust on the tires mostly and I try and microfiber them after every ride for the side walls. The rest is just clean I guess cuz no mud. When there is mud in the areas I ride, it is a no no to ride the trails at all.

Ah, fair enough.

but...

Having been to Texas a couple of times I have to ask, why a mtb? It’s flat as a pancake!

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
we have awesome trails all around town, many with some great jumps and drops. Besides that we are within about 45 minutes of a place called hill country. Not mountains, but great climbing and downhill. (look up Flat Rock Ranch). We also have Spider mountain which is not far from San Antonio and Austin and it has a chair lift. Not a ton of elevation, but each run is about a half mile or so. I never even thought people thought that mountain bikes was so literally for "mountains". Don't you also think an Ebike changes even flat riding so you can get some speed up and hit jumps just a bit different than if we were on analog bikes? If ya come back, I'll show you around. You want to know what we have in San Antonio that is really awesome? The people. I have met the best bunch of people, over 100 that I ride with regularly. We do group rides, night rides and benefits. It is rare that I go riding anywhere local and do not run into someone I know. I am 61 and just got into the sport about 2 years ago and I am full in! Starting weight was around 300lbs and now down to about 220 which has done wonders for my riding. I have never had a way to stay in or get in shape that I actually LOVE to do.

121071870_10216973324835471_2255399099849566231_o.jpg

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
So back to my original question, has anyone gone from an ebike back to a normal bike and regretted it? If so did you end up going back to and ebike like i am going to?
I'm going to. So i don't know yet will i regret it. 😁
Why i'm doing this?
Charging, motor failures, thinking how long motor is gonna last(mine died at monday) etc; those things give me a somekind of stress, i don't want stress in my life.
Normal bike is much more "stressless"; always ready to ride. Gives more "freedom" to my life.
AND i have rode to work with my Levo without motor now and i have noticed that two and half years ebiking has put my fittness down a little bit.
I want my lungs and thighs back! 😁

And maybe it's also somekind of "changing a hobby". I do that time to with other activities also.
I think i don't sell my Levo though, it has 11000km on it. Even with new motor reselling is hopeless.

And i don't want a new ebike; again; how long it will last?(stress again) With normal bike repairing is cheap, and you can do everything by yourself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles