Anyone regretted switching to an emtb?

Rikster

Jul 3, 2020
There where my bike takes me
nope no regrets after buying the Rail this spring. Still ride my Slash but set it up for more AM/XC riding. And off course the Stache (29+ hardtail) and Dartmore (dirtjumper) still get som attention :)

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yes, because I love my accoustic but now I hardly ride it. Also, I'm already sick of comments like "isn't that cheating" and "oh, I'm too young for an eeb"
But do I miss hurting on the climbs? No. Do I regret being able to get heaps more runs in the same ride time? Hell no! :D?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’ve not really switched, I just happen to have an e-mtb in addition to some other bikes!

if I could only have one bike, it would be a tough call, but I’d have to say it wouldn’t be an e-mtb.

I still enjoy riding, and I enjoy working on and fixing bikes, but e-mtbs for me at the moment have too many show stopping weak points that can have you off the road for weeks.

I do enjoy riding mine though, bit I also enjoy my non powered full suspension trail bike too, and I’m not super fit either.

What my heavy e-bike has taught me is that my old full susser wasn’t all that heavy after all!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm really happy with my ebike. It's the bike I ride most. I'd like to ride my other bikes more - I really like switching between full sus and ht, or powered / non powered. I was kind of shocked to see the relatively short life of the e system - so I'm riding it exclusively while it is in the warranty period. The theory is that I'll get 4,000 or 5,000km before the warranty period is over, which means I'll probably get a new motor. No regrets - but I'm thankful for that 2 year warranty. And learning some new, different skills.

Last edited:

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
Just to pick up on some of the comments about reliability and longevity. In 14 months my Merida E900 160 has been faultless so far and I don't have any experience of "e-mtbs for me at the moment have too many show stopping weak points that can have you off the road for weeks".
Routine maintenance has been no more costly so far than I am used with my previous non e-bikes. (With the exception of brake pads). If I get 3 years (4000 miles or so for me) out of the motor before it needs replaced I'll be more than happy with that. I'd probably have spent an equivalent amount on bottom brackets for my Stumpys in previous years.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Absolutely not, I've covered more miles and ridden more trails than ever, its been worth every penny in the 4 months I've had it already.

The only thing that might regret it a bit is my work trousers. I'm not sure that this is a lockdown thing or an ebike thing but by this time each summer i've shed 10-15lb from mtbing. If anything I'm up a few pounds this year.

Actually... I sound like my wife. ignore that.... no regrets

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
My ONLY regret is not getting a higher spec model in the first place. I now feel that I need more travel and better brakes. Orbea Wild FS could be on the cards :)

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Thanks for the replies guys.

I still havent made the jump, been waiting for the 2021 models to be released. I‘m really fancying the whyte E160-RS, it looks fantastic and they have upgraded the forks to fox 38’s with 160mm travel now.
When I do make the jump I’ll be replacing my orange five with an ebike so I just hope I’m making the right choice. I’m in the middle of building a house so I cant afford to have that much money tied up in 2 bikes so the orange will be sold to make way for the ebike.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks for the replies guys.

I still havent made the jump, been waiting for the 2021 models to be released. I‘m really fancying the whyte E160-RS, it looks fantastic and they have upgraded the forks to fox 38’s with 160mm travel now.
When I do make the jump I’ll be replacing my orange five with an ebike so I just hope I’m making the right choice. I’m in the middle of building a house so I cant afford to have that much money tied up in 2 bikes so the orange will be sold to make way for the ebike.
I hired a Whyte 150S at a bike park and loved it, felt very natural to ride. I didn't like that it had the cables routed externally hanging down under the motor though, I felt they were likely to get caught up on stuff. They've had to do it that way since they have the motor tipped up on an angle, I guess that lets them have short chainstays. In the end Treks are cheaper here in NZ, and being taller I prefer the 29" wheels, so I got the Rail instead. Other than the cable routing though I thought the Whyte was a really nice bike

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I hired a Whyte 150S at a bike park and loved it, felt very natural to ride. I didn't like that it had the cables routed externally hanging down under the motor though, I felt they were likely to get caught up on stuff. They've had to do it that way since they have the motor tipped up on an angle, I guess that lets them have short chainstays. In the end Treks are cheaper here in NZ, and being taller I prefer the 29" wheels, so I got the Rail instead. Other than the cable routing though I thought the Whyte was a really nice bike

They’ve changed that on the 2021 model now so its no longer an issue. They’ve extended the chain stay by 4mm too I believe.
All the reviews I’ve read are really good and it sounds a real fun bike to ride. Its got a low bb so the only downside people have on them are a lot of pedal strikes, but my orange five that I ride is exactly the same so I’m used to that. My orange is a real fun bike to ride down hill in bike parks so it sounds like the whyte is exactly what I’m looking for.

Thanks for the reply too ??

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
They’ve changed that on the 2021 model now so its no longer an issue. They’ve extended the chain stay by 4mm too I believe.
All the reviews I’ve read are really good and it sounds a real fun bike to ride. Its got a low bb so the only downside people have on them are a lot of pedal strikes, but my orange five that I ride is exactly the same so I’m used to that. My orange is a real fun bike to ride down hill in bike parks so it sounds like the whyte is exactly what I’m looking for.

Thanks for the reply too ??
Oh they've fixed the cable routing, that's awesome! The other great thing about Whyte apparently is their attention to weather sealed bearings. Sounds like the perfect bike for someone in your part of the world ;) Go for it! Let's know when you get one(y)

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
My only regret is that the SL wasn't more enduro based as that is how I'm riding it, I dont want a FF levo or something else as they are way to heavy to actually be fun for me.

I gave up. Now I have both.
Adjustments.jpg

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
With my analog 2006 Stumpjumper, my "incompetence threshold" is around 800m elevation gain, so I was missing interesting routes exceeding that. Since I bought my ebike I can do all the routes I was missing before and the sky is the limit. I still use the Stumpjumper once a week for easier routes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My only regret is that the SL wasn't more enduro based as that is how I'm riding it, I dont want a FF levo or something else as they are way to heavy to actually be fun for me.
Geometry wise it's pretty easy to convert the SL to be better suited to enduro riding by simply swapping to 27/5 wheels and upping the fork travel

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
"e-mtbs for me at the moment have too many show stopping weak points that can have you off the road for weeks”

My bike has been flawless as well to be fair, but the charger went pop early on and left me with a boat anchor of a bike for 3 weeks.

Given that the ‘e’ part of e-mtb’ing is so critical, a lot of companies don’t seem to understand how to make them waterproof, reliable and long lived. I’d want more than 3 years out of a motor, make no mistake.

I do work in aviation though, maybe my expectations are too high?! :ROFLMAO:

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
My bike has been flawless as well to be fair, but the charger went pop early on and left me with a boat anchor of a bike for 3 weeks.

Given that the ‘e’ part of e-mtb’ing is so critical, a lot of companies don’t seem to understand how to make them waterproof, reliable and long lived. I’d want more than 3 years out of a motor, make no mistake.

I do work in aviation though, maybe my expectations are too high?! :ROFLMAO:
Considering the vast amount of decades long industry experience in electronics and electric motors, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to have high expectations, especially considering the high cost of many of these bikes. (y)

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Coming from motocross and off-road cross country to emtb. No regrets. EMTB's are like anemically powered little dirt bikes I rode when I was a kid = stupid fun. They are light, cheap and moderately safe when compared to motocross.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I’ve learned to use the ebike in two different ways so I’m keeping it.

1. Long distance rides where I work hard see the country and try to get 50+ miles out of the battery. Good for the head and very good for the heart.

2. Stick it in eMTB mode and fling myself down singletrack and try not to crash. It’s like riding a baby motocross but silent. The thrill of spinning up the rear coming out of bends on a bicycle! It’s great. Trying not to crash is a workout in itself.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
As the title says. I’ve not heard anyone ever say they regretted going to an emtb and made the switch back so I’m just wondering, is there anyone on here that are still on the fence or regretted their decision to get an emtb?
Must say best thing I ever did, definitely the future of mountain biking no question.?

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
I thought it was a death sentence switching to an e bike, but having a heart arrhythmia made me make the switch. It’s much better now, but I have an occasional lapse 180bpm.

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
Just to pick up on some of the comments about reliability and longevity. In 14 months my Merida E900 160 has been faultless so far and I don't have any experience of "e-mtbs for me at the moment have too many show stopping weak points that can have you off the road for weeks".
Routine maintenance has been no more costly so far than I am used with my previous non e-bikes. (With the exception of brake pads). If I get 3 years (4000 miles or so for me) out of the motor before it needs replaced I'll be more than happy with that. I'd probably have spent an equivalent amount on bottom brackets for my Stumpys in previous years.
I have had an eONE-SIXTY 900E for 2 years and it's been brilliant. The only issue was getting the Steps system calibrated correctly when it was new because it was way off; speed and distance was initially reading 30% too high. A couple of very experienced and initially sceptical mountain biking friends who rode it have gone on the buy an EMTB themselves.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles