Anybody R&R A Motor On A 2020 Kenevo?

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
My '20 Kenevo motor went tits up, and unfortunately did so while riding in an area 40-50 miles from my house.
I ended up taking it to the local Specialized dealer in the area, and they weren't helpful. Luckily I've been able to get through to the one Specialized CSR working right now, and he's been VERY helpful. Long story short, I got the replacement motor(sent it to that dealer-who couldn't do the repair, so I picked it up along with my bike), but the only video I could find on the web was R&Ring a last-gen Levo. Looks like there's only 4-6 bolts, but what's scaring me is the crazy hardware pack that came with it-see photo.
If anyone has R&R'd a 2020 Kenevo motor, I'd appreciate it if you could fill me in on the dealio(where the electrical connections are, where this crazy hardware goes, and torque specs if possible.
Thanks in advance

kenevohardware1.jpg

kenevohardware2.jpg

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Thanks guys that'll definitely get me a heckuva lot closer than I was.
I guess the Kenevo motor has different mounting because unlike the Levo it's cradled, but if that info gets me to the electrical connections and the location(s) of those funky hardware pieces I'll be doing back flips
Vary much appreciated

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is there any sort of pairing up of the new motor wit the system that needs to be done by a dealer?

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Yes, the dealer needs to run the Turbo studio, unfortunately you cannot do that at home.
Is there any sort of pairing up of the new motor wit the system that needs to be done by a dealer?
Doesn't look like it.
They tell you to simply check walk mode and then pedal it around in all power modes to make sure everything works as it should. After you've done that(and assuming there's no problems) they tell you to check for firmware updates(via the 'Turbo Studio'), but that's no different than every other time a bike's in for service.
I found a Specialized store tech that's gonna do the install for me on the side, and it looks like a pretty straight-forward deal. Specialized says expect 60mins if you've never done it before-and that's on the Levo where you gotta remove the shock and chain stays to access the rear motor mount bolts-and only 30mins if you have

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Doesn't look like it.
They tell you to simply check walk mode and then pedal it around in all power modes to make sure everything works as it should. After you've done that(and assuming there's no problems) they tell you to check for firmware updates(via the 'Turbo Studio'), but that's no different than every other time a bike's in for service.
I found a Specialized store tech that's gonna do the install for me on the side, and it looks like a pretty straight-forward deal. Specialized says expect 60mins if you've never done it before-and that's on the Levo where you gotta remove the shock and chain stays to access the rear motor mount bolts-and only 30mins if you have

Turbo Studio when connected will notice the motor change and not let you continue until you enter in the bike serial number you put the motor in, it then updates the records and assigns the new motor to that serial number. After that it updates the motor to make sure it's running the latest firmware. This is fresh in my mind as I watched it happen today when my new motor was installed.

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Yeah if you dont have to muck around with the software it should be pretty straightforward.
Yeah, looks like the most
Turbo Studio when connected will notice the motor change and not let you continue until you enter in the bike serial number you put the motor in, it then updates the records and assigns the new motor to that serial number. After that it updates the motor to make sure it's running the latest firmware. This is fresh in my mind as I watched it happen today when my new motor was installed.
How did your motor crap out?
I'm pretty sure my belt snapped. After feeling like the tire was rubbing on the swingarm for a couple mins, all forward progress stopped, and the motor was free-reving like a car with a smoked clutch.
I wanna pull the side cover off after I pull it out and check to see, but there's a couple Brose seals(stickers) going across both covers at the case, so I'm gonna call the dealer I got it from and ask permission before I do so. I'm thinking Specialized doesn't permit dealers to crack open motors(yet) and they might charge 'em if they see the covers have been popped.
Appreciate the tip on the updating. The Specialized R&R video says it should operate normally (providing there's no problems) after the install(they actually tell you to check operation in all modes before performing the update), so the plan is to take it in after the crazy run on bike stores ends

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
All back in and together.
Works fine in all modes.
The battery and motor are obviously on different firmware levels though, as the power button cycles back on unless you hold it down for like 3 seconds.
Looks like Mission Control recognizes the new motor though(it shows the serial number) and doesn't report any issues. Says firmware is 7.1.1. Hindsight tells me I prolly should've checked and notated the firmware level on the old motor, but I didn't.
All in all not a difficult job, Barely even needed to use a puller on the spider. As soon as I touched it, it popped off:)
Felt a LOT better having a legitimate tech help me though.

Last edited:

bushkila

Mar 10, 2020
Europe
Specialized Rider Care
E*POWAH Elite
Specialized

Jul 12, 2018 184 500 253 Ride 2019 Levo

Friday at 9:59 AM

shacall2 said:
Just checked. The motor firmware version is: 7.1.1

* Just for comparison, I checked our other 2020 Levo and it's running 6.1.0 (this one isn't having the issue)
Thanks for confirming. Brose ship all service motors at their latest FW version - currently 7.1.1. With the Levo 2020 the correct version of FW is 6.1.0 - this failure to turn off is simply a compatibility issue with the motor having the default Brose FW instead of the Specialized approved version.

It's an easy fix but you need to get the bike back to your retailer and ask them to connect the bike to Turbo Studio and go through the correct component change/firmware update process - looks like they forgot to do this after they physically replaced the motor. Apologies for the hassle!

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Specialized Rider Care
E*POWAH Elite
Specialized

Jul 12, 2018 184 500 253 Ride 2019 Levo

Friday at 9:59 AM

shacall2 said:
Just checked. The motor firmware version is: 7.1.1

* Just for comparison, I checked our other 2020 Levo and it's running 6.1.0 (this one isn't having the issue)
Thanks for confirming. Brose ship all service motors at their latest FW version - currently 7.1.1. With the Levo 2020 the correct version of FW is 6.1.0 - this failure to turn off is simply a compatibility issue with the motor having the default Brose FW instead of the Specialized approved version.

It's an easy fix but you need to get the bike back to your retailer and ask them to connect the bike to Turbo Studio and go through the correct component change/firmware update process - looks like they forgot to do this after they physically replaced the motor. Apologies for the hassle!
Thanks man!
That would also explain why it has the Euro speed limiter activated(16mph).
Edit:Firmware got installed(5/18), and while it's raining so I can't verify the speed limiter is back to 20mph, the power button at least doesn't cycle back on by itself, and Mission Control shows the correct firmware-6.1.0(Thanks again bushkila).
Again than you to everyone who made this possible for me by providing me with the video, the manual, or info.
I am forever grateful

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles