Anybody running Sram AXS on a Turbo Levo

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Thinking of maybe going to sram axs on my TL Expert and wondered if anyone is running this on theirs. Concerns would be durability of Eagle on an Ebike. I know that the X01 version is tougher than the XX1 and that SRAM recommend the NX Cassette on an E-Bike. So it would be the upgrade kit + Cassette and possible chainring upgrade.

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
Yep. Works like a charm compared to the x01 before (was an expert once), which worked fine too, but shifting performance is on another level with the axs stuff.
really Like it, I went xx1 derailleur with GX cassette and chain as fall and winter is coming.
As you have an expert too GX is also your way to go as NX got a shimano freewheel, you should have -like me- a xD, but check your cassette first (type is on the backside)
333AFFB2-29A1-4AA3-B7A5-0DFC423D5B7F.jpeg

38t Front with 50t rear give you nearly the same spread (1.7 vs 1.6m) per turn as the Stock 32/42 but with a much higher end speed (I live in a relatively flat area with mostly flowtrails, which have to be pedaled hard at around 30kph to be real fun), which should be much better for the cassette as the usable Gears spread more to the middle and I dont stay on the small cogs all the time.
With standart chainring upfront you should be able to climb like verticals. :D

52F9B2EC-D853-40E9-A5CF-8EF96162AFCB.jpeg

But one of the neatest things is the ultimate clean cockpit! Love it! Also really nice to configure shifting on the left/ right and fiddle round a bit with multishifts.

4B9A41FB-7A60-46E2-B349-BF88C8BE21D5.jpeg
010DAE28-0B34-4DF4-9889-373A62CC4AE1.jpeg

In the Spring I will upgrade to the Rainbow stuff, as I know from my 11x the xx1 chains and cassettes are shifting even better, but too expensive for the wet season.

X01 derailleur as far as I know only differences are Steel(X01) vs Titanium Bolts(XX1), Alu Cage (X01) va Carbon Cage (XX1) and I’ve read somewhere there are hollow spaces filled with some foam, but that was never stated somewhere else, so really not sure.

8A48236F-7BDC-4904-B729-0A1E1ADC4F25.jpeg

Last edited:

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Yep. Works like a charm compared to the x01 before (was an expert once), which worked fine too, but shifting performance is on another level with the axs stuff.
really Like it, I went xx1 derailleur with GX cassette and chain as fall and winter is coming.
As you have an expert too GX is also your way to go as NX got a shimano freewheel, you should have -like me- a xD, but check your cassette first (type is on the backside)
View attachment 17952

38t Front with 50t rear give you nearly the same spread (1.7 vs 1.6m) per turn as the Stock 32/42 but with a much higher end speed (I live in a relatively flat area with mostly flowtrails, which have to be pedaled hard at around 30kph to be real fun), which should be much better for the cassette as the usable Gears spread more to the middle and I dont stay on the small cogs all the time.
With standart chainring upfront you should be able to climb like verticals. :D

View attachment 17949

But one of the neatest things is the ultimate clean cockpit! Love it! Also really nice to configure shifting on the left/ right and fiddle round a bit with multishifts.

View attachment 17950 View attachment 17951

In the Spring I will upgrade to the Rainbow stuff, as I know from my 11x the xx1 chains and cassettes are shifting even better, but too expensive for the wet season.

X01 derailleur as far as I know only differences are Steel(X01) vs Titanium Bolts(XX1), Alu Cage (X01) va Carbon Cage (XX1) and I’ve read somewhere there are hollow spaces filled with some foam, but that was never stated somewhere else, so really not sure.

View attachment 17948
Hi, Thanks for the advice and great pic's. I think you may have sold the AXS eagle to me. I run Eagle on my other Full Suss Yeti so upgrading to AXS when I sell the Yeti is a definite option for me. Like you my Expert is moving further away from the stock model and I also run the ENVE M7 bars and stem. With HX1501 wheel (these come with both XD and Shimano free hubs so NX could be a cheap option) will be running a Hope 36T up front. One question on the cockpit what control do you use for the Levo and mine is the basic one with the floppy cable?

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
Nice upgrades too, I‘m still deciding which wheels I will lace up this winter, looks like there will come some Zipp 3Zero on Industry9 Hydra :p :)
stem wise I’m looking at a intend grace en but I want it to be raw and thats out of stock :/

hope ring is solid, had a 34t hope one before I went 38!

I got the standart remote with the cable, the remote is on the left hand side, between the grips and the brake. Further inside is the remote button for the supernova light.
the cables from the remote buttons (light and bike) are tied together with some kind of spiral cable wrap (mine is more Ike a matte one) and glued to the bar further inside with Jagwire Clips .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If I had the spare cash I would have this on my bike - I had a go on an S-Works Stumpjumper that had it fitted, great bit of kit, you cn bang though the gears with perfect gear changes top and down, under power. I still reckon you would have to be a bit more careful on an EMTB, my one concern would be judging shift under power without any mechanical feedback.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
If I had the spare cash I would have this on my bike - I had a go on an S-Works Stumpjumper that had it fitted, great bit of kit, you cn bang though the gears with perfect gear changes top and down, under power. I still reckon you would have to be a bit more careful on an EMTB, my one concern would be judging shift under power without any mechanical feedback.
From what I hear the rear mech will sense how much power is being applied and delay the shift if this is excessive on the rear mech.

Chris_lux1981

Apr 11, 2020
Luxembourg
Hello,
Am also looking on upgrading to the Eagle x01 axs. What did you guys do with the empty holes from the original cable routing? Isn't that prone for water and mud?
Thanks in advance

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Hello,
Am also looking on upgrading to the Eagle x01 axs. What did you guys do with the empty holes from the original cable routing? Isn't that prone for water and mud?
Thanks in advance
Just left mine tbh not had any issues running AXS rear mech and seat post works flawlessly.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
15F55E6D-85CC-4F5C-9E3D-C1DD49122733.jpeg

I got plugs sent to my LBS from Specialized to fill the gaps when I fitted the XX1 AXS and Reverb AXS. I put one at the rear gear cable hole too.
I have 1 spare, which will be for when I remove the TCU handlebar controller too.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That would be ideal, you know any reference or something? Would be highly appreciated ?

I asked my LBS what I could put in the holes, they asked Specialized, and Specialized sent them some plugs. No reference numbers or anything - just an unmarked bag of 4 plugs!

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
OK, thanks a lot.
Just not sure if I upgrade the freehub and put a x01 cassette or the nx ?
I’ve gone for the NX cassette as I thought it should go straight on the existing driver. I know have the issue of the rear wheel not fitting back in the frame as the end cap is too big. I’ve got Mavic E-XA 30 wheels. To be honest the driver looked like it had been chewed up a bit when I took the original cassette off so I’m considering the hope fortus 30 wheels with steel driver now. There’s not much room between the Eagle cassette and the frame protection mind.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
From what I hear the rear mech will sense how much power is being applied and delay the shift if this is excessive on the rear mech.
I'm curious how this could work. Isn't the power all running through the top of the chainline and sent through the rear wheel before the deraileur could sense it? I could totally see how it would work if they had a wireless connection to the motor, or some other way to measure power, but drawing a blank on how that could work in the rear mech.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I'm curious how this could work. Isn't the power all running through the top of the chainline and sent through the rear wheel before the deraileur could sense it? I could totally see how it would work if they had a wireless connection to the motor, or some other way to measure power, but drawing a blank on how that could work in the rear mech.
TBH I have no idea how this works just repeating the blurb that comes with the rear mech ?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
TBH I have no idea how this works just repeating the blurb that comes with the rear mech ?

This is interesting - where in the blurb does it say this?

On the website XX1 Eagle AXS derailleur it says; 'Instantaneous shifts from a single touch even while under World Cup-winning chain loads recorded in the heat of racing and affirmed in the test lab.' but no mention of delayed shifting, if you mean the 'Overload Clutch protection' this is to protect the RD from side strikes; What is the Overload Clutch?

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
This is interesting - where in the blurb does it say this?

On the website XX1 Eagle AXS derailleur it says; 'Instantaneous shifts from a single touch even while under World Cup-winning chain loads recorded in the heat of racing and affirmed in the test lab.' but no mention of delayed shifting, if you mean the 'Overload Clutch protection' this is to protect the RD from side strikes; What is the Overload Clutch?
Read it in a review I think can’t remember was nearly a year ago now. End of the day it is a great rear mech with zero misd shifts or fails. Expensive but best I have experienced in the last 30 years.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Actually wouldn’t this be quite easy for the rear mech to sense the resistance it feels when change gear?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles