Other SRAM AXS on a Turbo Vado 5.0?

guruuno

May 9, 2020
NJ
I know the is an EMTB forum, but reading some posts I see others have asked, so I'll need to find out if maybe my specific question can be answered....
Getting a Specialized Tubo Vado 5.0 at the end of the week.
I had the SRAM AXS XX1 on my previous Trek Allant + 9.9S and it was perfect. Loved it.
I'm curious to know if the Vado 5.0 will need some XD freehub conversion or will I need to buy a Vesper Classic hub that is XD compatible, get it laced and be done? I know I'll need the Eagle cassette and chain but my question is the hub. Is it XD, can it be converted or am I better off getting a new hub that is already XD specific?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Most likely you have your answer by now but thought I'd chime in. Just converted a new Vado 5.0 to SRAM AXS XX1. The cassette is a Shimano XT that requires a micro spline freehub. You will definitely need an XD driver which you can purchase for your stock wheelset if you go with the Sram 12 speed cassette.

At the risk of going down the rabbit hole, you can use a Shimano 12 speed cassette and still run Sram AXS. You would want to use a Shimano 12 speed chain. Read many articles on mixing Sram and Shimano drive trains and help a riding buddy set up a Frankenstein drivetrain and the Shimano cassette/chain combined with SRAM AXS rd/controller shifts better then my all SRAM AXS drivetrain. Key is whichever cassette you choose, use same brand chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles